By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Activision: Destiny 2 DLC could be as important as the Base game

I dont get why people are hating on this. Destiny is the type of game that survives based on post launch content.

Around the Network

Wait and see what content is in the main game.

Like love EU4, that game has had like 10 expansions+ over the past 4 years. I have spent probably over 150-200 on that game. But the reason it is not an issue? The base game had a ton of content, the expansions added new mechanics many of which are essential due to some changes made in free patch others because they enhanced the game so much playing without becomes unthinkable.

It is a simple test. If a game at launch has enough content that if nothing else ever released it would be fine then I have no issue with it. If the game is clearly a shell then we have an issue.

Destiny 1 was tricky. There was 100s of hours in the vanilla release if you enjoyed it, but at the same time it clearly was a bit short on multiplayer maps and co-op strike missions. 1 raid was fine due to the way it was structured that it would takes weeks for most groups to conquer it the 1st time.

IMO if Destiny 2 is more balanced out of the gate than Destiny, and has maybe 2-3 more multiplayer maps and 2-3 more strikes I have no issue. I am all for massive content drops on top of that.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Devs are finding some crafty ways to charge a lot more for their games while not technically passing the $60 mark heh

I'll just do with this one what I did with D1 I reckon. Collectors edition incoming, play that for a year, then wait until the D2 Collection comes out and get that and play for another 6 months. Just long enough to get rehooked and pre order Destiny 3.

I didn't even really enjoy the gameplay of the first Destiny... so this is a hard pass for me.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
I dont get why people are hating on this. Destiny is the type of game that survives based on post launch content.

but its SO fucking expensive. relative to what you get. i think the 4 main DLC's released for Destiny costed around 120$ total. thats just way too much. 

That was always a given. It was the same with the first game.

The problem here isn't in the DLC's importance, but the details of how it's important. A game like this needs a lot of post launch content to thrive fully, but Destiny was so content starved that the DLC model and it's pricing was frankly ludicrous, adding up to what what should have probably been the game's scope on day one. Furthermore, Destiny 1 locked you out of many popular activities that kept people playing if they didn't buy the DLC, thus essentially presenting players with an ultimatum.....give us more money, or fuck off. Needless to say, that's not cool.

I'll do what I did with destiny. I'll buy the game at launch. Level up my character and do as much as I can and then trade it on. Once they release the destiny 2 collection for £35 in 2-2.5yrs, I'll buy it then to catch up with the rest.

VAMatt said:
DragonRouge said:

Yes, but they don't decide that thinking about costumer satisfaction, and thus, I decide not to buy their game.

That applies to every game with DLC though.  

Just the ones that have horrible DLC practices really, like the first destiny and what assume Destiny 2 will have.Games like Mario Kart 8 and The Witcher 3 has very good DLC structure and values.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

So what they are saying is they'll do the same where they release new game content a year later or more so getting the game on release day is pointless, just wait a year for a new edition in which they've updated and fixed the games problems. :P

Hmm, pie.