By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo Games Are For Kids"

Nintendo games are for people who enjoy them, regardless of age.

Around the Network

Nintendo games are for everyone, well Mario at the very least.

1993 called it would like it's arguments back.

Seriously, this has been litigated to death and at this point it is what it is.

Nintendo skews more towards kids and the design of most of their games is kid-friendly/favorable. I think that's fairly obvious, they prefer more cartoon/cartoon-ish/kid friendly designs/worlds/aesthetics. The "Nintendo Is For Kids" thing will never go away because of this.

That said, their games are still perfectly enjoyable for anyone of any age and probably the majority of their fanbase today are adults who were introduced to Nintendo games as kids (Nintendo has a certain percentage of "lifers", kids who grew up with Nintendo games, who will continue to play them into their teens, 20s, 30s, 40s, etc.), which is the ironic part of this all.

The game play of the majority of Nintendo titles is not "dumbed down" either. If you can play Splatoon and Zelda and 3D Mario well ... you can play pretty much any type of video game without much fuss.

At this point Nintendo fans should just get over this criticism. It will never stop being a "knock" against Nintendo, it's been one for the last 25 years and the fact is compared to virtually every other game company (not just Sony/MS but even Sega and Atari), Nintendo's bedrock will always be cartoony/cute/mom-approved characters much moreso than other companies. But the game play will always be fun and deep (Wii casual types aside).

You can either choose to enjoy the games and have fun or be worried that Nintendo isn't "cool" enough. That's your call. All I would like honestly is a return a little bit more to the 90s style of Nintendo where I felt there was a bit better balance. You had Mario/Pokemon/Kirby/DK/Banjo of course but there was also GoldenEye/1080 Snowboarding/NBA Courtside/Metroid, I feel like Nintendo could use a bit better balance, but this is a matter of tweaking, not completely changing things.

CaptainExplosion said:
Soundwave said:
1993 called it would like it's arguments back.

Seriously, this has been litigated to death and at this point it is what it is.

Nintendo skews more towards kids and the design of most of their games is kid-friendly/favorable. I think that's fairly obvious, they prefer more cartoon/cartoon-ish/kid friendly designs/worlds/aesthetics. The "Nintendo Is For Kids" thing will never go away because of this.

That said, their games are still perfectly enjoyable for anyone of any age and probably the majority of their fanbase today are adults who were introduced to Nintendo games as kids (Nintendo has a certain percentage of "lifers", kids who grew up with Nintendo games, who will continue to play them into their teens, 20s, 30s, 40s, etc.), which is the ironic part of this all.

The game play of the majority of Nintendo titles is not "dumbed down" either. If you can play Splatoon and Zelda and 3D Mario well ... you can play pretty much any type of video game without much fuss.

At this point Nintendo fans should just get over this criticism. It will never stop being a "knock" against Nintendo, it's been one for the last 25 years and the fact is compared to virtually every other game company (not just Sony/MS but even Sega and Atari), Nintendo's bedrock will always be cartoony/cute/mom-approved characters much moreso than other companies. But the game play will always be fun and deep (Wii casual types aside).

You can either choose to enjoy the games and have fun or be worried that Nintendo isn't "cool" enough. That's your call. All I would like honestly is a return a little bit more to the 90s style of Nintendo where I felt there was a bit better balance. You had Mario/Pokemon/Kirby/DK/Banjo of course but there was also GoldenEye/1080 Snowboarding/NBA Courtside/Metroid, I feel like Nintendo could use a bit better balance, but this is a matter of tweaking, not completely changing things.

You forgot their willingness to add more graphic stuff, like Conker or Turok.

Turok is a third party game, and honestly I don't need games with blood vomiting or squirrel peeing. A little more F-Zero/Metroid/Zelda side of the spectrum would be OK, maybe a return to some sports sims would be nice also. 

Around the Network

*sigh* Please stop with this garbage. So sick of seeing it still after 20 years.

Nintendo games are for squids. Buy Splatoon 2, only on Nintendo Switch.

That dude makes so many anti Nintendo videos, stop giving him views

Nintendo makes games for all ages, they games are centered around art style, and they are marketing to grown-ups now with the Switch

TorterraBoy said:

Nintendo makes games for all ages, they games are centered around art style, and they are marketing to grown-ups now with the Switch

That moment when you didn't watch the video ... 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
TorterraBoy said:

That moment when you didn't watch the video ... 

I shouldn't need to if he says it in the title, unless it's clickbait lol