By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destructoid: Breaking down why Breath of the Wild is highly overrated

I agree 100% with this Destructoid article, thank you for sharing this OP.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that, BOTW is very good but not THAT good, sometimes I think SS had more soul than BOTW, the music sucked btw.

I know... my English sucks.

"BotW's overrated."

No shit, when you're an 11/10.

edit: that's not meant to be taken seriously.

I've never been a fan of the term "overrated." It's one of those open phrases that doesn't really mean anything...other than "other people like this more than I like it! Overrated!" Worse is the crowd that assumes the term instantly is a negative, rather than just a comparative term.

Opinions are entirely subjective, as are ratings. Breath of the Wild isn't perfect, but what people tend to forget is that ratings don't always start at 10 and go down based on fault, they generally start at 0 and are ranked up based on merit. In that context, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the game's extremely high praise. Any faults it has are heavily overshadowed by what it does right...or at least this seems to be the standpoint of the vast majority. Sharing or disagreeing with a majority opinion isn't wrong...because a game's rating certainly isn't a static quality to begin with.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I've been very very reluctant to buy it, even though I own both a WiiU and Switch xD. That's mostly because I feel for the hype of OoT and couldn't get into it. I'm wondering if this is going to be another game that is heavily hyped but just isn't for me.

Around the Network
think-man said:
I've been very very reluctant to buy it, even though I own both a WiiU and Switch xD. That's mostly because I feel for the hype of OoT and couldn't get into it. I'm wondering if this is going to be another game that is heavily hyped but just isn't for me.

It is a very different game from OoT. Plus, you probably fell for OoT's hype well after its release (when it didn't age well.) That you thought OoT was overhyped should have no effect on whether or not BoTW is. They play very differently, and BoTW is a new title not overriden with nostalgia.

Well for me it's still the best game I've played because 5 months later I can still put it on lose 2 hours, discovery new places, ruins or caves etc and just never find it a chore or a grind to play. Different people different strokes.

I'll just answer to one of the statements that cracked me up the most because the article is a mess:

I don't understand why people complain about sailing in Wind Waker but suddenly love running around grassy plains and climbing rocks that take five times as long as sailing between islands did

The fact is that you can't just run aimlessly in BotW, you can ride a horse, you can paraglide, you can  generate an updrift in order to surpass mountains, you can freeze a Rock, jump on it and make it fly across Hyrule for fast travel, you can use a Desert Seal to Surf in the dunes, you  can snowboard, you can use two rail wagons to make a flying machine that can bring you to the boundaries of Hyrule. On top of that you can Teleport. And yet people run aimlessly because they know that anywere they'll go they'll find something to do.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
"The story is so light that it may as well not even be there. Sure, not all games need a strong story or lore, like Tetris, but this isn't Tetris. This is The Legend of Zelda, and a large part of a Zelda experience is the story and characters."

Uh huh. You don't say..

"Yeah man, seeing Zelda needing to be rescued for the 1000th time and fighting another doomsday villain in Link Between Worlds made me cry from the complexity and sophistication of the plot. Stupid BotW and its stupid decisions with its stupid weapon breaking and its stupid change! I hate this stupid game because my childhood nostalgia says everything from the 90's is better than the stupid 2017 games! (has a breakdown and cries)"

~Probably this author

Let me guess, the author absolutely looooves Horizon.