By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Neymar the most expensive player

At long last, it’s official. Neymar has joined Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona.

Barcelona confirmed receipt of Neymar’s $263 million buyout clause from his representatives on Thursday, clearing the way for the Brazil superstar to sign with French giants Paris Saint-Germain and become the most expensive soccer player ever. Later in the day, BBC and several other outlets confirmed that Neymar had signed a five-year contract.

PSG will likely compensate Neymar’s representatives for the payment, which was made after La Liga initially refused to accept the money and pass it on to Barcelona.

Minutes before the news broke, PSG tweeted a none-too-subtle hint that “He’s coming.”

The fee more than doubles the $124 million Manchester United paid Juventus for Paul Pogba just last summer. And of course, it doesn’t include any signing bonuses, agent fees, image rights or indeed the doubtlessly staggering salary Neymar will collect from the ambitious Parisian club — said to double his previous mega-contract.

Qatari-owned and bankrolled PSG, which won Ligue 1 four years in a row until last season, hopes signing one of the world’s best forwards will finally vault it into the European elite and contention for the Champions League title, after five straight eliminations in the quarterfinals of the round of 16. Neymar is widely considered the planet’s best player not named Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo. And the 25-year-old was widely expected to succeed Messi as Barca’s central cog, carrying on its soaring run of success in the last decade.

Instead, he heads north to a league that is considered strong, but inferior to the Spanish, English, German and perhaps even Italian leagues.

https://sports.yahoo.com/barcelona-receives-neymar-buyout-money-clearing-way-sign-psg-172112219.html

Personally i like theis guy and deserves to be the most expensive player.

The Qataris may be annoyed by the Gulf Crisis and will like to show the world that they have a lot of monies.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Around the Network

In before people complaining how someone that "just kicks a ball around" makes more in a day than a nurse in a year.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Expensive how?

I'm pretty sure Ronaldo and Messi cost governments more...

Insidb said:
Expensive how?

Governments make more on those players than they owe it. From Neymar for example the french government gets 60m of his annual 30m.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Insidb said:
Expensive how?

Governments make more on those players than they owe it. From Neymar for example the french government gets 60m of his annual 30m.

200% tax? Damn commies!

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

huh? France has 200% tax on wages?

palou said:
vivster said:

200% tax? Damn commies!

Math again. 30m is his net income. Now calculate again.

I can't wait for the Football bubble to pop, they can't just keep rising the prices at this rate, football player "prices" rise faster than inflation

I mean, the guy just kicks a ball around, what's the BIG DEAL?

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

To be honest that's the price of the release clause, those are always set ridiculously high to keep players from leaving before their contract ends.

For example Ronaldo has a release clause of something like 500M euro.

vivster said:
Insidb said:
Expensive how?

Well, I guess it's time to make more money and stop paying taxes!