By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2017: Philadelphia Eagles Win Super Bowl LII

Who will win Super Bowl LII?

New England Patriots 7 31.82%

Pittsburgh Steelers 1 4.55%

Jacksonville Jaguars 3 13.64%

Kansas City Chiefs 0 0%

Philadelphia Eagles 5 22.73%

Minnesota Vikings 3 13.64%

Los Angeles Rams 0 0%

New Orleans Saints 0 0%

Other 1 4.55%

Scoreboard 2 9.09%

Total:22

Well at least the Bills got rid of Rex Ryan.

Around the Network

Since we're talking about the Bills being super duper smart, can somebody explain to me why they traded a 27 year old all pro defensive tackle for a sixth round pick? I mean come on.....what kind of shit show are they running over there?

Though just generally speaking, I've always wondered how like 80% of the people holding GM spots in pro sports manage to land and keep those jobs. Most of them couldn't be more shit if they tried.

One critique thrown out at New England's success semi-consistently is that they play in a terrible division. I think it's ultimately an inaccurate claim; if you take the combined records of the 2nd-4th place teams in the AFC East and compare them to the combined records of 2nd-4th placed teams of other divisions since 2010, the AFC East is pretty much right in the middle; not terrible, not great.

I will say, though, that the rest of the AFC East has a capacity for blowing golden opportunities like I have never seen before. It's like if the 2013 NFC North was every single year. 2012 Dolphins at a respectable 4-3, maybe better than their record indicates since two of their losses came in OT? Lose 5 of their next 6 and take themselves out of contention. 2013 Jets in the middle of the playoff race at 5-4 after upset wins over eventual playoff teams New England and New Orleans? Lose 3 straight games by double digits to teams with no shot at the playoffs. 2014 Bills at 8-6 after upsetting the R-E-L-A-X Packers, needing to beat a team in contention for the #1 draft pick to all but clinch a playoff spot? Entire team comes out flat and they lose to the 2-12 Raiders. 2015 Jets at 10-5 on the last week of the season, only needing a win over 7-8 Buffalo (or a Pittsburgh loss) to get into the playoffs after pulling off a gutsy overtime win over New England? You can guess what happened. Even last year's Dolphins, who did reach the playoffs, did their damndest to ensure they wouldn't but stayed in largely because the Broncos were even more inept.

Part of why I kept picking teams against Buffalo earlier in the season when they were 3-2 was because I was confident they would start choking. Then they got to 5-2, and I thought that maybe Sean McDermott managed to shake the standard AFC East curse. I should have known better.

Miguel_Zorro said:
MTZehvor said:

One critique thrown out at New England's success semi-consistently is that they play in a terrible division. I think it's ultimately an inaccurate claim; if you take the combined records of the 2nd-4th place teams in the AFC East and compare them to the combined records of 2nd-4th placed teams of other divisions since 2010, the AFC East is pretty much right in the middle; not terrible, not great.

I will say, though, that the rest of the AFC East has a capacity for blowing golden opportunities like I have never seen before. It's like if the 2013 NFC North was every single year. 2012 Dolphins at a respectable 4-3, maybe better than their record indicates since two of their losses came in OT? Lose 5 of their next 6 and take themselves out of contention. 2013 Jets in the middle of the playoff race at 5-4 after upset wins over eventual playoff teams New England and New Orleans? Lose 3 straight games by double digits to teams with no shot at the playoffs. 2014 Bills at 8-6 after upsetting the R-E-L-A-X Packers, needing to beat a team in contention for the #1 draft pick to all but clinch a playoff spot? Entire team comes out flat and they lose to the 2-12 Raiders. 2015 Jets at 10-5 on the last week of the season, only needing a win over 7-8 Buffalo (or a Pittsburgh loss) to get into the playoffs after pulling off a gutsy overtime win over New England? You can guess what happened. Even last year's Dolphins, who did reach the playoffs, did their damndest to ensure they wouldn't but stayed in largely because the Broncos were even more inept.

Part of why I kept picking teams against Buffalo earlier in the season when they were 3-2 was because I was confident they would start choking. Then they got to 5-2, and I thought that maybe Sean McDermott managed to shake the standard AFC East curse. I should have known better.

Yup.

By my very quick math, the AFC East is +32 in W/L when facing other divisions since 2010.  New England beats up on teams from other divisions just as much as they do against their own division.

Also, this article claims that the AFC East has the best aggregate record from 2002-2016.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-power-ranking-divisions-2002-realignment-110916

I would still argue afc north as most competitive but its basically a tie with afc east. Browns might be the worst team in recent years, but they still have 3 strong teams to contend with. AFC East tends to have a status quo, unless I am thinking too much of recency bias.

Great start....

Around the Network

For a moment, I thought Russell Wilson was gonna pull a Dak Prescott and put up negative points to kill my fantasy team...

MTZehvor said:
For a moment, I thought Russell Wilson was gonna pull a Dak Prescott and put up negative points to kill my fantasy team...

There's time yet

Angelus said:
MTZehvor said:

There's time yet

Course he fumbles as soon as I say that.

Between this and the Saints shenanigans, I'm beginning to wonder just if I have some secret voodoo power...

...what the fuck was that fake field goal call? You've got like, 7 seconds left in the half. You really think a tight end is going to make it all the way to the end zone off a shovel pass? Even if you pick up the first down, you have to kick a field goal as soon as you burn your last timeout. At least throw a pass to the end zone if you're going to try a fake in that situation.

LOL sorry Seattle, not everyone can be Matt Prater.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)