By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony needs to sell me a PS1 Classic with these features

Pemalite said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Here's a great idea....why not just ... gasp ... have backwards compatibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok but seriously, no, just put more ps1 games on psn

Microsoft was more forward thinking with the Xbox than Sony was with the Playstation 4 when it came to the optical drives.
Ergo, the Xbox One supports CD's and the Playstation 4 doesn't, which means that the Playstation 4 cannot be backwards compatible with the Playstation 1's physical media.

Classic consoles seem to have a place, I mean... Nintendo has a decent backwards compatible library via it's digital stores on Wii, yet it's classic systems still sold like hotcakes.

Sony's lack of forward thinking on (ironically) backwards compatibility actually starts with the PS3 using the Cell, so it's not too surprising they would continue to ignore it.

And I thought it was a lack of software playback that prevented the use of audio CDs, not an actual lack of hardware ability?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Turkish said:

Thats not a niche part at all, Sony can make a better upscaler than what the Framemeister costs for a fraction due to economies of scale. The company behind Framemeister is nothing compared to an industrial giant like Sony. Sony has the resources to sell something better for cheaper.

Something like this shouldn't realistically cost more than $99-129. The Nes/Snes classic probably costs Nintendo ~$20 to manufacture, they have crazy margins on it.

No one would want a PS1 with preloaded games, people will want their own PS1 libraries, both on disc and digitally. Sony's gotta be more original than doing the same thing as Ninty.

lol. Okay man.

Let's break it down. I don't know what the framemeister does to do what it does, but they might utiliize some extremely specialized components to achieve what they're achieveing and it's not so simple for any company to make those components for fractions 1/10 or 1/30th of what it costs someone else just because they're ordering 2 million as opposed to 10,000. Even if they can, and can produce it cheaply, there could be IP that Sony needs to license that might not be cheap, which means Sony may need to pay a royalty more expensive than the components themselves in order to produce them. It is not that simple. You're grossly oversimpliying the concept of "economies of scale".

Why shouldn't something like this realistically cost more than $99-$129? Says who? Just because the sum of the components to make the device might be $50-60? What about the development costs? What about the Q+A costs? People are going to expect this thing to play every single PS1 game if it has the drive. That means ensuring they all work. And I assume they're going to want their memory cards to work as well. That's a whole other can of beans. Ohh and the digital copies of those games? You need to test those as well. Not exactly trivial.

No one would want a PS1 with preloaded games? I remember people saying the same thing about the NES classic.

Believe whatever you want to believe. At the end of the day, Sony isn't going to make your console, and you've been told why.

Brah, Sony is famous for their TV and DVD upscaling technologies, these dudes can leverage the knowhow from their entire workforce, a small <200 employee company has to source expensive parts to manufacture them, not Sony.

The PS3 had already a PS1 upscaler built in since 2006, it just wasn't a priority to be the purest form back then, the upscaler is good but not the best according to My Life in Gaming but they can easily make it if they prioritize it for the retro market.

It shouldn't cost anymore than $129 because it's not expensive for Sony to make. It's basically a PS1 with a HDMI out, those things sold for $99 more than a decade ago. The PS1 Classic would easily sell even for $149. "And I assume they're going to want their memory cards to work as well" nah, they dont need to go that retro, if they would, whats the problem?

I want this system because I think about the yuuuuge Japanese only PS1 library, which alone rivals many consoles entire libraries. I want a modern, simple way to play them on my HD TV, no hassle with emulators or upscalers.

Lawlight said:
Turkish said:

"So you want Sony to cater to a very niche market"

LMAO niche market, go educate yourself how big the retro market is right now before giving your next 2 cents

"that will likely cost Sony more to develop than they would make off of it"

I says they will likely make money off of it than lose.

"To get the level of upscaling,PSN connectivity, disc drive support and storage, it would cost far more than anything like the NES classic"

Yeah it's gonna cost just as much as the PS4.

So, how big is the retro market right now?

Well u've seen how big the nes/snes classic are. I'd say it's a billion dorra market especially because of the inflated prices people pay for games. Earfbound, countless other rare games etc. But even million sellers from past gens rise in price despite being so numerous. Even games like Skate from last gen.

Turkish said:
potato_hamster said:

lol. Okay man.

Let's break it down. I don't know what the framemeister does to do what it does, but they might utiliize some extremely specialized components to achieve what they're achieveing and it's not so simple for any company to make those components for fractions 1/10 or 1/30th of what it costs someone else just because they're ordering 2 million as opposed to 10,000. Even if they can, and can produce it cheaply, there could be IP that Sony needs to license that might not be cheap, which means Sony may need to pay a royalty more expensive than the components themselves in order to produce them. It is not that simple. You're grossly oversimpliying the concept of "economies of scale".

Why shouldn't something like this realistically cost more than $99-$129? Says who? Just because the sum of the components to make the device might be $50-60? What about the development costs? What about the Q+A costs? People are going to expect this thing to play every single PS1 game if it has the drive. That means ensuring they all work. And I assume they're going to want their memory cards to work as well. That's a whole other can of beans. Ohh and the digital copies of those games? You need to test those as well. Not exactly trivial.

No one would want a PS1 with preloaded games? I remember people saying the same thing about the NES classic.

Believe whatever you want to believe. At the end of the day, Sony isn't going to make your console, and you've been told why.

Brah, Sony is famous for their TV and DVD upscaling technologies, these dudes can leverage the knowhow from their entire workforce, a small <200 employee company has to source expensive parts to manufacture them, not Sony.

The PS3 had already a PS1 upscaler built in since 2006, it just wasn't a priority to be the purest form back then, the upscaler is good but not the best according to My Life in Gaming but they can easily make it if they prioritize it for the retro market.

It shouldn't cost anymore than $129 because it's not expensive for Sony to make. It's basically a PS1 with a HDMI out, those things sold for $99 more than a decade ago. The PS1 Classic would easily sell even for $149. "And I assume they're going to want their memory cards to work as well" nah, they dont need to go that retro, if they would, whats the problem?

I want this system because I think about the yuuuuge Japanese only PS1 library, which alone rivals many consoles entire libraries. I want a modern, simple way to play them on my HD TV, no hassle with emulators or upscalers.

See here's the part you still fail to get, that upscaling technology that framemeister or whoeever they are is utilizing might be patented. Which means if Sony wants to use it, or develop their own using the methodology described in the patent they'd have to come to a licencing agreement with the patent holder. Or, they can use their existing upscaling technology that they own the patents to, that they use in playstations and DVD and blu ray players, and on their smart TVs that's good enough for pretty much every one of their customers. Huh... I wonder which one they're going to use.

It shouldn't cost more than $129 to make? Based on what exactly? Because the PSone sold for $99 a decade ago? Did that PSone have upscaling technology? Did that PSone connect to PSN? No? Well I'm pretty sure that developers were utilizing morsel of processing power the PSone could muster, so it looks like they're going to have to come up with some supplementary processing that plays well with the existing PS1 architecture, which isn't arbitrary. Furthermore the PSone featured some propreitary chips. Those might actually be impossible to reproduce today without some considerable expense. Considering how technology has advanced, and these chip manufacturers have upgraded their facilities, it's entirely plausible they don't have the means of downgrading their production lines to produce chips of that nature any more. Thus, if Sony were to actually reproduce these chips, (which is the only way to guarantee perfect compatibility with literally every PS1 game) it might be more expensive per chip to produce them today than it was ten years ago. Why do you think Nintendo opted to use a modern processor that was total overkill in the NES classic? Because it was more than capable of doing a good enough job emulating the 30 games that they were including in the box, and because they were only emulating 30 games, they only had to make sure that the system emulated those 30 games well enough.

My point being, this is not nearly as simple as you're making it out to be. Adding a PS1 disc reading and/or memory card compatibility adds a tremendous amount of complexity and expense to the development, QA and production of such a device. It's so needlessly complicated when a simple box that emulates built in games would make the primary market for such a device more than happy. You speculations on price and consumer interest in paying that much for a device are almost completely baseless.

This is clearly another case of a gamer selfishing thinking "I want a device, therefore there's no reason for <insert company here> not to make it for me". Sorry man, but your love of Japanese PS1 games as a north american gamer makes you niche as fuck. Sony can't make any money off of catering to people like you. You need to accept that.

Finally, source that "retro games" are a $1 billion a year industry? Based on the NES classic, which grossed Nintendo 3.2 million X $60 = $192 million, and well we have the atari flashback and at games genesis at less than $8million in sales between them. Where is the other $800 million coming from, and more importantly, if you're talking about the increased value and reselling of 20-30 year old games, how on earth can Sony, Nintendo or whoever actually profit off of that?

potato_hamster said:

I think you're making an assumption about the SNES classic. If Nintendo is actually making "signficantly more" SNES classics to a point where they're readily available on store shelves in the weeks following launch (aka keeping up with demand), you're not going to see people buying them from ebay for 2--3 times the prices. That's a big if, though.

There will not be enough SNES classics to meet demand.

All pre-orders here have sold out the same day here. Scalpers are already selling the SNES classic on Ebay.

potato_hamster said:

But fair enough about the flashback and At Games megadrive, but it appears we both agree you're not going to see people willing to pay 2-3 times retail prices for these consoles when they are released, even if they're at the NES classic level of quality.

Indeed. Although, I did stipulate why the NES/SNES classic don't follow the same trend as the AT Games consoles.

potato_hamster said:

At the end of the day, I just don't see a reason why Sony would bother making a console that plays PS1 discs and memory cards, has PSN connectivity, or has a better upscaler than their existing solutions in the PS3 or Vita. I just don't see that being critical to the popularity of such a device at all. It would be far far easier and cheaper to just make a box that plays digital copies of a few dozen included games, and maybe supports copying your digital PS1 games you purchased from the PSN to a USB drive that it can play.

Well. I never claimed any of that anyway. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

potato_hamster said:
Turkish said:

See here's the part you still fail to get, that upscaling technology that framemeister or whoeever they are is utilizing might be patented. Which means if Sony wants to use it, or develop their own using the methodology described in the patent they'd have to come to a licencing agreement with the patent holder. Or, they can use their existing upscaling technology that they own the patents to, that they use in playstations and DVD and blu ray players, and on their smart TVs that's good enough for pretty much every one of their customers. Huh... I wonder which one they're going to use.

It shouldn't cost more than $129 to make? Based on what exactly? Because the PSone sold for $99 a decade ago? Did that PSone have upscaling technology? Did that PSone connect to PSN? No? Well I'm pretty sure that developers were utilizing morsel of processing power the PSone could muster, so it looks like they're going to have to come up with some supplementary processing that plays well with the existing PS1 architecture, which isn't arbitrary. Furthermore the PSone featured some propreitary chips. Those might actually be impossible to reproduce today without some considerable expense. Considering how technology has advanced, and these chip manufacturers have upgraded their facilities, it's entirely plausible they don't have the means of downgrading their production lines to produce chips of that nature any more. Thus, if Sony were to actually reproduce these chips, (which is the only way to guarantee perfect compatibility with literally every PS1 game) it might be more expensive per chip to produce them today than it was ten years ago. Why do you think Nintendo opted to use a modern processor that was total overkill in the NES classic? Because it was more than capable of doing a good enough job emulating the 30 games that they were including in the box, and because they were only emulating 30 games, they only had to make sure that the system emulated those 30 games well enough.

My point being, this is not nearly as simple as you're making it out to be. Adding a PS1 disc reading and/or memory card compatibility adds a tremendous amount of complexity and expense to the development, QA and production of such a device. It's so needlessly complicated when a simple box that emulates built in games would make the primary market for such a device more than happy. You speculations on price and consumer interest in paying that much for a device are almost completely baseless.

This is clearly another case of a gamer selfishing thinking "I want a device, therefore there's no reason for not to make it for me". Sorry man, but your love of Japanese PS1 games as a north american gamer makes you niche as fuck. Sony can't make any money off of catering to people like you. You need to accept that.

Finally, source that "retro games" are a $1 billion a year industry? Based on the NES classic, which grossed Nintendo 3.2 million X $60 = $192 million, and well we have the atari flashback and at games genesis at less than $8million in sales between them. Where is the other $800 million coming from, and more importantly, if you're talking about the increased value and reselling of 20-30 year old games, how on earth can Sony, Nintendo or whoever actually profit off of that?

"that upscaling technology that framemeister or whoeever they are is utilizing might be patented"

There is never 1 solution to anything in tech, Sony themselves hold millions of patents, some of them to upscalers they already have. Like I said, they have some of the best upscalers in their TV and DVD/Blurays. They only need to take retro gaming upscaling serious to put out something incredible. Hell, they can start from the upscaler they have and update it, that alone could be better or on par with the Framemeister.

Your whole "this thing is gonna be expensive" is based on nothing. Sony can make this thing cheap with their resources. The PS1 Classic I propose will cost $99-$149 tops, which is a decent price.

Around the Network

If its gonna have an online marketplace, then it should offer PS1, PS2, and PSP content. And perhaps be PS Now compatible.

However, the Vita TV could have potentially done that as well. Maybe Sony should stick with PS4.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Turkish said:
potato_hamster said:

This is clearly another case of a gamer selfishing thinking "I want a device, therefore there's no reason for not to make it for me". Sorry man, but your love of Japanese PS1 games as a north american gamer makes you niche as fuck. Sony can't make any money off of catering to people like you. You need to accept that.

"that upscaling technology that framemeister or whoeever they are is utilizing might be patented"

There is never 1 solution to anything in tech, Sony themselves hold millions of patents, some of them to upscalers they already have. Like I said, they have some of the best upscalers in their TV and DVD/Blurays. They only need to take retro gaming upscaling serious to put out something incredible. Hell, they can start from the upscaler they have and update it, that alone could be better or on par with the Framemeister.

Your whole "this thing is gonna be expensive" is based on nothing. Sony can make this thing cheap with their resources. The PS1 Classic I propose will cost $99-$149 tops, which is a decent price.

This is getting silly. Sure there is no one solution to anything in tech, that doesn't mean that the critical part of achieving that level of upscaling isn't someone's intellectual property. Let me give you an example. Do you know why most loading screens are boring practically static screens and not mini-games except for a handful of Bandai Namco titles? It's becausethey patented the concept of adding a mini-game to a loading screen. You can't just get around that by making your own loading screen mini-game solution because the concept itself is patented, not the means of achieving it.

But let's assume you're right on your baseless assumption that Sony owns the IP necessary to achieve the level of upscaling that framemeister has. On what basis can you claim they can use their existing upscaler and "update it"? In order to achieve that, they Sony might have to approach upscaling in a fundamentally different way, using different hardware components, and process the image in way that is unlike any upscaler Sony has ever developed. The could very well have to start completely from scratch, and it wouldn't surpise me at all if they did. This is yet another completely baseless claim. It's kinda like saying "I see you ported a PS2 game to the Wii. You should be able to update that code to port a PS4 game to the Switch, right?"

But even then, why would they take retro gaming upscaling seriously? How is that honestly going to make them more money? Do you think anyone is going to think "well here's an SNES classic at $99, and here's PSone classic at $149, but the PSone classic has a better upscaler, so I'll get that one". Better yet, do you think anyone stumbled upon an NES Classic on a store shelf (it did happen) and thought "well I like the idea of the NES classic, but it's upscaliing isn't as good as a framemeister, so it's a hard pass". Not a fucking chance. As long as it looks decent at 1080p, it's going to be "good enough", and it's not going to be worth Sony's or anyone elses time to improve anything beyond "good enough". The investment by Sony is just going to add cost to the device that the vast majority (and I mean about 99%) of the potential market will not care about at all.

The same goes for disc drives.
The same goes for the ability to play imports.

No one gives a shit about these features. Well besides you, and a handful of people that love importing NTSC-J PS1 games and playing them on HDTVs that probably already have modded consoles, and already have things like framemeisters.

My whole "this thing could easily cost Sony more than you're imagining" is not based on nothing, It's based on knowledge of the nuances of hardware and software development, which you love to just gloss over. Making a device such as a PS1 classic does not work the way you think it does. That's an objective fact. I've demonstrated a handful of completely things that you either have failed to consider of continue to ignore mostly out of ignorance and a desire to be right.

Let me put it to you this way. Let's say Sony announces two PS1 classics, and is capable of supplying stores in such a way that everyone who wants one can walk into a store in their community and purchase one when they want. No supply restraints. No scalping necessary. Everyone that wants one will have to be able to choose at the store which one they want.
- The PS1 classic costs $60 with 30 of the most popular PS1 games built in. Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy VII-IX, Tomb Raider, etc. All the games that people bought PS1s for. Standard upscaler. No PSN connection. No ability to play PS1 discs. No ability to play PS1 imports.
- The PS1 classic Pro costs $150. No built in games. Better upscaler, ability to play PS1 discs from any region, and play PS1 classics downloaded from PSN.

I guarantee you the classic model outsells the classic pro model by a margin of at least 20 to 1, if not higher, which would make the PS1 Classic Pro a waste of shelf space.

Face it. You just want it to happen for you because you'd love to have one, so you can't see how unrealistic your ask is. As a result,  you have blinders on about it.

Pemalite said:
potato_hamster said:

I think you're making an assumption about the SNES classic. If Nintendo is actually making "signficantly more" SNES classics to a point where they're readily available on store shelves in the weeks following launch (aka keeping up with demand), you're not going to see people buying them from ebay for 2--3 times the prices. That's a big if, though.

There will not be enough SNES classics to meet demand.

All pre-orders here have sold out the same day here. Scalpers are already selling the SNES classic on Ebay.

I agree with you on all points, except I put an * on this one. Pre-orders don't necessarily mean anything. We don't know how many they had for pre-order, and how representative it is of total availability. This could easily be the first round in many rounds of pre-orders, and have the smallest quantity available. They haven't even had pre-orders here in North America. It's possible Nintendo actually listened and when they said they're making "signficantly more SNES classics" they really meant 5-10 times more. We really don't have enough information to make this claim yet.

Mr Puggsly said:
If its gonna have an online marketplace, then it should offer PS1, PS2, and PSP content. And perhaps be PS Now compatible.

However, the Vita TV could have potentially done that as well. Maybe Sony should stick with PS4.

Ohh yes. The Vita TV. How could I forget?

HDMI out? Check.
Upscaling? Check.
PSN Connectivity? Check
Ability to download and PS1 classics? Check.
Ability to play digital import games? Check
$100 price tag? Check.
BONUS: Ability to play PSP games? Check
BONUS: Ability to play most Vita games? Check.
BONUS: Ability to play apps like Netflix? Check.
BONUS: Ability to play PS Now? Check.
BONUS: Ability to steam music, movies, and tv shows bought on PSN? Check.

Terrible, terrible sales? Check. I got mine for $13 in a bargain bin at a grocery store. I think they sold less than 500k total.

So if such functionality is so important to people who want to play PS1 games in a more modern way, why didn't the Vita TV become a hit amongst people like you? It hits every note except the ability to play PS1 discs. You could get a memory card that would hold dozens of PS1 classics for less than $20. Surely that must have been appealing to someone like you, especially when Sony started lowering the price on these to $80, $60 or eventually to $20. But I bet OP doesn't own one.

It's probably because no one cares about these features.

I'm personally fine with my PS1 as it is. I may not get the best picture out of it, but it works for me.