By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What's wrong with the Japanese??

Has anyone else noticed that in the past 4 weeks that PS3 Hardware keeps outselling Software??

Are they buying the PS3 just for the Blu Ray? Or do they just enjoy expensive paper weights?

Has this ever happened before with other consoles?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

They know FF is coming, those that have a healthy bank account buy hardware when ever they want. I'am sure the ability to play Br also plays a part.

They could play PS2 games as well. I don't think that anybody would buy that box and not use it at all though, no matter the size of the bank account.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Oh my, that is quite odd. Not a single PS3 title in the top 50. Did the Gamecube, or even Dreamcast ever do this badly so soon after release? This looks to me like a clear sign of the Japanese gamer population's disinterest in the PS3. A few technophiles are buying it for the cheap Blu-ray, and maybe other functions, but the games are actually selling LESS than Xbox 360 games. Of course just about everyone with an Xbox 360 in Japan is a gamer who bought it for the games, but it's still quite shocking.

#s are decreasing week by week but I think theres still the 'careless' crowd that buys for the Brand name and upcoming titles (FF MGS). Advertisement does work. Some may buy one for an replacement for their old PS2. The loading times for a PS2 game are quite nice btw!

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Around the Network

I think PS3 is stabilizing around 8k. As I understand, HD penetration in Japan is rather high, so it wouldn't be uncommon for them to buy the PS3 simply for Blu-ray. Blu-ray players are still expensive, and the PS3 is cheaper there than anywhere else in the world. The PS3 game offering in Japan is nothing short of pathetic, hence why the 360 sells more software and has been doing so for about three weeks.

Now what's really a worry is the fact PS3 has sold about 920,000 hardware units and Xbox360 has sold around 310,000 hardware units yes the 360 has sold 1,290,024 units of software to PS3's 1,189,603

Buying for future games, Blu Ray is a lesser factor.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

If I were in Japan I'd be tempted to buy a PS3 as a blu-ray player. What I really want to know from the hardware numbers are the sales ratios for the two SKUs. Any way to find out? ioi? Remember, both PS3s are about a hundred dollars cheaper in Japan, so the low end model (20GB) ends up being a $400 blu-ray player. Highly tempting for a bitter European such as myself.

"What's wrong with the Japanese??"...they eat too much fish???