By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is going to make a fortune through accessories alone.

Is Nintendo even making money off the accessories you listed, apart from the Pro Controller? At most, all they can get are licensing fees out of the ones that are specific to the Switch.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
monocle_layton said:

Adding a pro controller and power bank? Really?

How about we and a couch and tv to the cost of a ps4/xb1? 

Sure, but remember to do the same for the Switch.... I mean its a "hybrid" console right? not just a handheld.

Buying a Switch is like buying a 3DS + Wii U and their accessories 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I have none of those,bar a pro controller because I wanted two proper controllers for multilayer. It's your decision to  buy all that crap

JRPGfan said:
Darwinianevolution said:

So, today I've finally managed to buy a Switch. After trying it for a little bit, I've started to make a list of accessories I need and might need for the console. The protecction plastic for the screen, a case for travels, an SD card for digital purchase, a battery charger and adapter for travels (the one included in the box is too big), a Pro controller to allow confortable multiplayer without using each of the joycons, the dumb device for the voice chat...

Holy shit, is it just me, or does the Switch needs an abnormal amount of accessories? I didn't need that many for my 3DS or my Wii. Do you think the console needs that many things, or is it just me? Does this happen to you as well? How did you solve it?

Glass Screen protector ~6$

Travel case ~13 to 19$

200 GB SDcard ~64$

Power bank ~30 to 50$

Switch Pro controller 69$

Hori nintendo switch chat headset ~30$

You can easily spend a additional +200$ before your Switch, is the way you want it to be, to do what its ment to.

I got the 128 GB SDcard for 40$. I think the 128 i better than the 200

Had my switch since launch and have only one accessory and that is an SD card. Don't even need it yet. Still haven't used up that much space, also was an sd card already had.

There is no need for any of that.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

So, today I've finally managed to buy a Switch. After trying it for a little bit, I've started to make a list of accessories I need and might need for the console. The protecction plastic for the screen, a case for travels, an SD card for digital purchase, a battery charger and adapter for travels (the one included in the box is too big), a Pro controller to allow confortable multiplayer without using each of the joycons, the dumb device for the voice chat...

Holy shit, is it just me, or does the Switch needs an abnormal amount of accessories? I didn't need that many for my 3DS or my Wii. Do you think the console needs that many things, or is it just me? Does this happen to you as well? How did you solve it?

That's a lot of things in your list, but I wouldn't consider it abnormal considering the device.  My Apple Iphone didn't come with a plastic screen protector or a protective case, so I don't think that's out of the ordinary to not find them included with the Switch.  Micro SD card, they could have thrown one in sure.  Just like Sony or Microsoft could have launched PS4 and XBox One with bigger hard drives, but they didn't.  And, it's a lot worse when you have to buy a 2TB hard drive for a console where a handful of physical games fill up your system memory compared to one where only your digital purchases do.  I don't think the AC adapter that comes with the Switch is large at all.  It's the easiest and lightest system I've ever packed-up and taken to someone else's house.  So, the need to replace that is totally your discretion.  Pro Controller is on a need to buy basis as well.  The joycons come with a cradle that form a single controller out of the box.  That they separate so that 2 people can play together is awesome, and the only system that currently allows that straight out of the box.  If the Switch didn't have joycons, but instead 1 single Pro Controller you'd actually be getting less out of the box, not more, because then like every other system, you wouldn't be able to play 2 player games straight out of the box.  And, as for the voice chat device, not everyone is going to use it, so it would be an unnecessary added cost to the system price if it came with every console sold.  

I think if everything you mentioned came in the box, the Switch would have an inflated price point that would turn off a lot of potential buyers.  They needed the system not to come in over $299 in order to entice the widest possible audience.

Honestly, I'm surprised people are buying extra accessories the way they are.When I get my Switch, I'm getting the main console and a screen protector, that's it. I'll buy everything physical just like I have been doing for a while and use the doggy controller setup or just use my 8bitdo NES30. I understand that other people want to enhance the experience as much as they can but it's just not worth the extra 150+ to do so.

Well you dont need them of course, but yes Nintendo will make tons of money on Switch accessories, maybe even more than they earned for Wii. I will probably buy two more Joy Cons, screen protector and case.

I mean I just bought screen protector and a case. Other than that I'll probably buy an extra controller and micro sd card at some point.

Most of the profit for those don't even go to Nintendo.
I already had a battery bank, and then I got the screen protector (probably the best decision I made), the Pro Controller (I feel so-so about this decision), SD Card (necessary) and the carrying case (I'll be using it for sure).