By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the new Atari console?

What is this thing?

A modern console (PS,XB competitor) 13 22.41%

A classic game playing device 16 27.59%

Vaporware 20 34.48%

Other - please explain in comments 9 15.52%

Total:58

It's likely an android based console that will have exclusive Atari 2600 and 7800 games on it. That's enough to make me buy it day one 🙂. And the console looks amazing!

Around the Network

A modern console. They will take Microsoft's place in the console market.

XBox... Atari Box... It's just meant to be.

Darwinianevolution said:
Considering they said they would use "modern specs", this has to be some kind of finantial scheme. No company is that delluded to try and compete on the dwendling and oversaturated console market while having none of the infrastructure, money or established userbase of the big three. Even the OUYA was marketed as a microconsole.

This will probably be better than that, it wont be a phone chip.

My thinking is its a tablet chip, kinda akin to the Nintendo Switch.

Power probably somewhere in the same ballpark.

Whats really questionable is what kinda games it ll play though. Which is really much more important than power.

RolStoppable said:
Classic Atari games and whatever indies put on it.

this. most likely sub $100 little system primarily for classic Atari downloadable games as well as some Indies off of an E-shop

it'll be nothing more. The company developing this does not have the means to do anything more, nor is it 'Atari' in the sense of the 80s company that actually was creating somewhat competitive hardware (as late as the 90s with the Jaguar).

This is just a tiny company that has the Atari name rights at this point in time. I think I heard they have a staff of like 10 employees so...

VAMatt said:
I was thinking about the big games from the original Atari systems. But, I realize now that a lot of those are Activision, Namco, and Nintendo properties.

that's accurate, Atari had very little of their own IPs, in fact besides maybe a few arcade games I'm not sure they really had any real 'home console' series of their own ever. 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Considering they said they would use "modern specs", this has to be some kind of finantial scheme. No company is that delluded to try and compete on the dwendling and oversaturated console market while having none of the infrastructure, money or established userbase of the big three. Even the OUYA was marketed as a microconsole.

Whats really questionable is what kinda games it ll play though. Which is really much more important than power.

no, it probably will be very similar to the Ouya in power. This is a company with a couple million in revenue yearly- they have no means to develop a unique piece of hardware. It's going to be something simple and not at all proprietary

Note: the way you also often know something like this is BS is when a company uses a somewhat legendary name (like Atari) and then says they'll be doing crowdfunding

this is not even at the level of the Ouya in terms of realistic projection because at least the Ouya had as somewhat clever idea of targeting indie gaming on the TV (even if it failed). This is more NES Classic than it is Ouya. I don't see the reason indie devs would even bother, they would get like 1/100 the audience on a device like this compared with what they'll already get on the PC or an established console

As someone else suggested, this appears like an attempt at a cash in through nostalgia and anyone hoping there are some big hidden plans for the device aren't being realistic because there is zero possibility of that. I expect we'll be seeing a lot of attempts at NES Classic like nostalgia cash ins the next few years, mainly from small companies who simply control somewhat revered gaming names

a week ago it was a brand new 8 & 3/4 gen console (because with all these revisions thats what im calling it now)

but NOW they are saying its a device in the same light as the NES classic

JRPGfan said:
Darwinianevolution said:

But that's the thing, isn't it? A microconsole would not attract the crowd needed to succeed in the console market (as the good old OUYA and the OG Nvidia Shield already proved) A console as powerful as the Switch would still cost around a decent amount, maybe something between 150-250€, maybe more considering this won't be mass produced like the other consoles, and they don't have the audience to attract 3rd parties or the manpower to make 1st party games to justify that pricetag. It makes so little sense I have to wonder why are they doing this exactly.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Yerm said:
a week ago it was a brand new 8 & 3/4 gen console (because with all these revisions thats what im calling it now)

but NOW they are saying its a device in the same light as the NES classic

there were rumors of them saying they might do crowdfunding which suggests they're not far along with whatever they plan to do, which is most likely simply a system that allows the buying of the Atari library via roms on an E shop

mountaindewslave said:
JRPGfan said:

no, it probably will be very similar to the Ouya in power. This is a company with a couple million in revenue yearly- they have no means to develop a unique piece of hardware. It's going to be something simple and not at all proprietary

Note: the way you also often know something like this is BS is when a company uses a somewhat legendary name (like Atari) and then says they'll be doing crowdfunding

this is not even at the level of the Ouya in terms of realistic projection because at least the Ouya had as somewhat clever idea of targeting indie gaming on the TV (even if it failed). This is more NES Classic than it is Ouya. I don't see the reason indie devs would even bother, they would get like 1/100 the audience on a device like this compared with what they'll already get on the PC or an established console

As someone else suggested, this appears like an attempt at a cash in through nostalgia and anyone hoping there are some big hidden plans for the device aren't being realistic because there is zero possibility of that. I expect we'll be seeing a lot of attempts at NES Classic like nostalgia cash ins the next few years, mainly from small companies who simply control somewhat revered gaming names

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-custom-tegra-processor-inside-switch-outed-as-standard-tegra-x1

"Standard Tegra X1 'confirmed' as Switch's processor"

So they could use the exact same chip (without any propriety technology added) and be equally good to the switch.

Even if they didnt/couldnt get that chip, there are other tablet chips they could get in the same "ball park"

But maybe your right, and they go for a lower priced console, and then it just ends up as a Ouya 2.