By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony market cap rises to over 51billion

3sexty said:
Aeolus451 said:

Guess I'll know one way or another in a bit.

Shhh.. Don't draw attention to yourself. Mods prob forgotten by now..Tip toe away like nothing happened..

VGPolyglot said:
Aeolus451 said:

Guess I'll know one way or another in a bit.

Oneee-chan got warned for what he posted, so it's still not acceptable from what I can see.

Didn't see the update. Must have did that last night or this morning.

Around the Network

Sony's hard work has paid off. Well deserved.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Wasn't Sony supposed to go bankrupt lol?

Lawlight said:

They've lost so much money on mobile and they should sell it now they've turned it around? You would have been right 2 years ago but it's too late to say the mobile division shouldn't exist.

The PS division is making enough money for us to not have to worry about them not investing in it. There is no need to counter any of MS offerings at this stage.

I would've been right a year ago too going by 2015 FY ... 

Too late ? The sad part is we don't event know if this is a permanent change for the better or not. What are you going to say if their mobile segment loses money again come FY 2017 ? (Just because they showed profit in 1 year of the last half decade does not justify the segment's continued existence especially when the said profit's magnitude is smaller than the loses that occured EVERY year in the last half decade.) 

Sony could've sold their mobile segment business to one of those chinese manufacturers and used that as a down payment for purchasing Square Enix at the time! At least that would've been a better investment than keeping their mobile segment running when SE was worth as little as $1.175B in Apr 2013 or $1.666B in May 2014 ... 

KBG29 said:

Building PS4 tech for mobile devices will be very doable once 7nm fabrication becomes available either late next year or early 2019. They may have a hard time with Phones, but a tablet or Handheld, would be no issue.

Having all PlayStation software going forward would make it much more desirable than any PlayStation portable products made so far. As far as app, movies, and music goes, as long as they offer Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, PS Vue, PS Video, ect. they will be fine. Like I said, they don't need to own a huge % of the market. Even if they could only get between 15 and 20 million users like the Vita has, with the shared ecosystem, they would still be very successful/profitable.

Android and iOS offer nothing outside of the boring (IMO) slab phone, and that is why I would like a PS Phone, or a Switch Phone. Android and iOS offer nothing for a gamer. I have had a dedicated or multifunctional Nintendo or Sony gaming device with me everywhere I have gone for the last 30 years. I would like to continue to that in the future with better games and more functional devices.

7nm isn't even enough ... (PS4 slim consumes 80 watts which is built on 16/14nm FinFETs process node compared to the Switch that consumes 10 watts undocked and that's built on TSMC's 20nm hi-k planar bulk process node. Even 5nm isn't good enough, you probably want Samsung's 4nm MCBFETs to be able to get 90%+ power savings which isn't coming out until 2021 ?) 

Speaking of Sony as a whole, can we finally get their newest phones on Verizon? Those things rule but I can never get them :(

Also think I'm gonna pick up their new 49" 4K HDR10 TV that was like $850 on Amazon. Great value and the most my room could accommodate size wise. Also I am mad that this LG 4K "HDR" TV I got can't play PS4PRO games in HDR mode. Kinda BS labeling there though I should have examined their claims closer when it was that cheap.

I am Iron Man

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

Our lord and savoir Kaz came to the rescue.  Also Jack Tretton left with one final gift for their future when he delivered the legendary smackdown of E3 2013, turning the gaming industry in a single day.

I am Iron Man

PotentHerbs said:

They were yeah.  I'm still hiding in my bunker waiting for the doomsday to arrive.  Guess I'll be waiting a while :)

Alby_da_Wolf said:
iNathan said:

Nah, doing bad or well Sony always takes risks, they know only by taking risks they can be the top dog in this industry, look at Apple or Google, they take risks they dominate the market, look at Microsoft, they copy others, they are irrelevant outside Windows. 

Zune copied Ipod but ipod already dominated. 

WP copied ios and Android but was too late. 

Kin tried to be Microsoft iPhone, failed. 

You see? You gotta take risks or you become irrelevant against your competitors. 

- Moderated, Carl

Not precise:

1) The first Zune was a ugly rebranded third party media player with MS SW and FW installed on it. It horribly failed in a lesser measure for iPod already established leadership, but mostly because MS decided to infect it with the worst and most annoying DRM and IP policies ever.
2) WP was preceded by Windows Mobile, that came after iOS, but before Android, back then iOS already dominated the high-end, Symbian was declining and in the mid and low range producers were abandoning proprietary OS' and custom Linux-based OS' were already dominating, although the Linux field was very fragmented. Other attempts to make standard Linux-based solutions were made, but Android eventually was the first to not only really succeed, but also take the leadership. The situation wasn't good from the start for MS, circled frm above by Apple and from below by the Linux galaxy, and, again, MS managed to make things worse, both wasting a lot of money with not enough focused OS development and, again, like with Zune, with policies, this time towards developers, worse than Android and iOS ones, dooming Win Mobile/phone to have the scarcest app library of the three.
3) It's obvious that Kin could never compete with iPhone, lacking the glamour factor and choosing instead practical features that correctly backed with SW and services could have instead competed with Blackberry and Android phones with physical keyboard.

None of these cases failed for not taking risks, but for wrong strategies, wrong marketing, (often horribly) wrong user and dev policies and other mistakes.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Old Man Kaz gave it his best, what a bad ass. Now if only they could try and rebuilt Sony Pictures.

MrGuybrush295 said:
Old Man Kaz gave it his best, what a bad ass. Now if only they could try and rebuilt Sony Pictures.

I wish they would rebuild Sony Pictures around PlayStation. So many huge IP in the PS library that would make awesome content across so many different aspects of film. I have always wondered why they didn't do TV series and movies for their gaming IP. I would love to see a Ratchet and Clank series, a God of War cartoon, or a Jak and Daxter movie. 

Sony does such a great job handling their gaming IP, it is just wierd that they don't exapnd them. To me I see TV and Movies as a great way to grow and keep interest in franchises that are taking a break on the gaming side. They could sell more merchandise with a TV series than with games as well, which would drive more business and interest.

I also think the idea of the Sony extended universe is something that is becoming a real possibility as well. Nintendo, Marvel, and DC have been doing it for years, so it isn't new, but I think Sony has finally reached yhe point where they have enough iconic characters to build something.

As usual, Sony has an incredible amount of potential. Now it is just a matter of whether they put it all together.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL