By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 3rd - 9th July 2017

Kyuu said:
Not good for PS4. Gundam underperformed and barely had any effect on hardware.

Splatoon 2 is going to be huge. Wouldn't be surprised if it sells some 200k+ Switches at launch week. The DQXI week will be even more interesting with all 3 major consoles selling like there is no tomorrow. It sucks that the Japanese only have significant interest in a handful of IPs, half of which belong to Nintendo. How I wish Sony gave a fuck about their Japanese studios like in the PS1 days.

200k? Hmm...

I think that the increased stock has been in since a week or two now. They're just holding in for splatoon 2. They might sell half a million if they have the stock.

Plus there is all those limited edition splatoon switches that people pre orderd I think...

Around the Network

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Ka-pi96 said:
Jranation said:

umm... am I missing something here or is just posting full stops a new trend or something?

Oops lol. Must've accidentally pressed the post button

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Nuvendil said:
Lawlight said:

It's not false. It's simple mathematics. You're got 1 million early Switch adopters with not much of a choice.

Yes, because Switch owners HAVE to buy games regularly or their brain explodes.  These are games not cocaine.  If owners think the game is bad it won't sell. Lack of competition means its easier to get attention.  It does NOT mean it is easier to get positive attention.  Wonderful 101 launched on an even more starved Wii U and sold like ass.  And the Dreamcast and Saturn were home to many games that had little competition that sold terribly.  Just a lack of competition doesn't mean sales will go up.

This isn't cocaine, where taking out the premium dealers results in people buying the shady crap cut with contaminants in some rat hole.  These are video games.

The dreamcast was not a handheld, nor has the Switch launched near the PS2 announcement (I don't need to remind you how big of a deal that was back then). On top of that, the Dreamcast sold very poorly and launched with virtually nothing. Still, looking at VGChartz, games did sell well on such a low install base - 520,000 for Seaman. 3 other titles over 400k, 6 other titles over 300k.

W101 - I have no idea whether it was marketed or not on the WiiU, whether it was actually properly shipped to retailers or anything. We know Nintendo spend a lot to market the games that they develop.

Ka-pi96 said:
Lawlight said:

It's not false. It's simple mathematics. You're got 1 million early Switch adopters with not much of a choice.

While it's certainly possible those Switch owners wanted to buy more Switch games and since something they really wanted wasn't available on it they just went for something that was. It's also possible that A. they have other platforms to buy/play games on so they don't need to buy games they don't particularly want because they've actually got a tonne of choice (seriously, how many Switch owners do you think don't have a single other platform they could get games on?). Or B. if there aren't any games they want they could just.... not buy any games?

Nobody is forcing people to buy games for Switch, if they didn't at least partially want it then they simply wouldn't buy it.

Oh, I got a shiny new toy and I'd let it collect dust? No, I'd rather buy 1-2 Switch.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Nuvendil said:

I'm aware there was more positivity, but he was saying no one thought it would flop or struggle sales wise.  Which is false.  It was a pretty even split honestly.

I'd argue that some said it would flop and some said it was the next splatoon. Most however thought it would do good. Somewhere in between. And it's turning out exactly like that. 

Who said next splatoon? I know people were doing comparisons (on comg for ex), but who thought it would be even close?

Splatoon and YW is something that barely happens once a generation. Nothing will come close to those as new ips. 

tbone51 said:
Kerotan said:

I'd argue that some said it would flop and some said it was the next splatoon. Most however thought it would do good. Somewhere in between. And it's turning out exactly like that. 

Who said next splatoon? I know people were doing comparisons (on comg for ex), but who thought it would be even close?

Splatoon and YW is something that barely happens once a generation. Nothing will come close to those as new ips. 

A lot of people on various forums said it could be the next splatoon. The assesment was about as ridiculous as claiming it would flop. 

Kerotan said:
tbone51 said:

A lot of people on various forums said it could be the next splatoon. The assesment was about as ridiculous as claiming it would flop. 

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/04/soapbox_arms_is_the_new_splatoon_for_the_nintendo_switch_generation

ARMS is starting to show some legs

Nier returns to the top 20 :) though it's thanks to the tragic overall sales

Kresnik said:

PS3 Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. 345.053 514.723 Bandai Namco 12/1/2011
PS3 Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost 266.297 385.609 Bandai Namco 1/30/2014
PSV Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force 69.985 158.357 Bandai Namco 12/23/2015

The Vita version was a spinoff, so it's less than half of the last mainline entry.

Ouch, poor Gundam Versus

People that compared ARMS with Splatoon mean they were both new fresh Nintendo Ips that people think will flop and then go and do well, that's exactly what Arms is, of course is not on Splatoon levels of sales, fighting games are not as popular as multiplayer shooters, but almost nobody said it would sell as well as Splatoon, I think that's just an attempt to downgrade a clear success.