By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oculus Rift+controllers now the same price as the PSVR headset.

Which is a better?

Oculus Rift 37 29.13%

Playstation VR 65 51.18%

results 25 19.69%

Total:127

I would greatly appreciate if this would spur Sony into doing a temp price drop on the psvr, as I really want to dip my toes into the VR Waters and don't have the PC necessary to run any decent rift games. Re7 and doom on psvr look exciting.

I doubt it will happen soon, though, rift has to make up a decent bit of ground at the moment.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:

So not wanting to spend a shitton on a good rig is a weird excuse? Maybe he doesnt want a lower-end gaming PC but maybe he wants a better option.

OT: still dont care. If Im biting on VR Im going with the Vive. Vastly superior experience. And yes, I have fairly extensive experience with all 3.

I'm on about the "I wanna, but just don't wanna" type. If you see PC as expensive now, you're going to see it like that for years, that is until the view oh what you can buy changes.

He doesn't have instantly buy that really expensive sofa for his wife. He can save money on the side for building a new rig that doesn't involve having to randomly buy a more expensive piece of furniture. 

Also a shit ton?, you haven't seen Omen X I take it or the far more "shit ton" expensive setups that far surpass the typical 1-2k asking prices that people toss out.

He can always scale for what his wallet allows, rather than some silly "it's gotta be exactly 3 thousand dollars kind of requirement. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Isn't psvr selling much better? Makes sense why they slashed the price. Sales weren't good enough as price was too high.

Good to see it more competitive now. Hopefully psvr and Vive follow next later this year.

Ariakon said:

I would greatly appreciate if this would spur Sony into doing a temp price drop on the psvr, as I really want to dip my toes into the VR Waters and don't have the PC necessary to run any decent rift games. Re7 and doom on psvr look exciting.

I doubt it will happen soon, though, rift has to make up a decent bit of ground at the moment.

I totally agree.  They have had good sales apparently, but with this temporary pricecut, we may see sales slowing down considerably, well for users with both PS4's and PC's.  In any case, the price hasn't shifted much in the last 9 months...in the UK it's around £299 at the moment.  I fully expect both the PS4, PS4Pro and PSVR getting pricecuts later this year...so it would be nice to see PSVR even getting a temporary pricecut to £199 around Black Friday.....I think that would be enough for people to push the button in the run up to Xmas.  I may even do it at that point.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

it has but PSVR is a childs toy by comparison.  Problem will still be that people need a high end GPU to run the RIFT.  PSVR's draw is ease of entry.

Around the Network

GOOD, Sony will be forced to drop the price of the PSVR and I can finally snag one and RE7.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Imaginedvl said:
Well Rift is better obviously, there is no arguments here...
Now if you are talking about the value... I think PSVR is less expensive at the end, you still need the computer to back it up while you need a in-expensive PS4 for the PSVR.

The screen in PSVR is clearly better, it's also more comfortable...and, most importantly, the PSVR has much more software I actually am interested in!

that said the Touch controllers and tracking are clearly better on the Rift. On the other hand it needs a good PC.

I actually think Oculus must be pretty desperate after their recent image problems if they drop the price that far.

I think this is less due to pressure from other VR options, and more due to a lack of VR interest in general.

SvennoJ said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea but in pratice, it sounds like it is very reviewer dependent since some say that the screen door effect is fairly similar, others say its better for oculus, others say its better for psvr.

I see, so it's not really "120 fps," for most games but rather a technique used to get better head tracking?

Indeed. PSVR takes the existing image and shifts it slightly to get the lowest latency possible for headtracking when moving and or turning your head. It's even lower latency than a native 120fps game as I notice the difference between Polubius (native 120fps) and regular games while turning my head. With reprojection when you shake your head quickly and concentrate on the edges of the screen you can see where info is missing. However normally you don't notice the few pixels that aren't there at the outer edges while moving/turning.

The low lateny reprojection makes it a lot more comfortable in practice. There is a very noticeable difference between physically turning your head (at 120hz) and using the analog stick to turn with runs at 60fps. (It's not motion interpolation like on tvs so game updates still run at 60fps) PSVR has no 90fps games (the headset does support it, just nobody has used that mode yet) so I can't say how that sits between 120fps reprojection, native 120fps and 60fps turning.

OR might also be lowering its price in anticipation of the windows mixed reality headsets. They boast a higher resolution for a lower price, yet no OLED.

https://uploadvr.com/vr-spec-sheet/

No clue if the mixed reality headsets are pentile or RGB, nor how well the inside out tracking compares to current headsets. LCD is going to be a big downgrade compared to OLED though. Plus OR already has tons of games to choose from, mixed reality isn't out yet, no clue what it will support.

Some interesting comments from actual users at that link as well. There's more things to come into play when comparing headsets, lens quality, comfort, and for me how glasses fit underneath. Anyway VR is too awesome to get too worked up about the minor differences between gen 1 products. Once you start playing you forget about the screendoor, glare and whatever. Perhaps OR is the better choice as the only really immersion breaking thing is wonky tracking. (AZ Sunshine on psvr needs a patch, aiming through the sights the game gets the aim controller and headset mixed up, result jittery gun. AZ Should take a note out of Farpoint's book which handles it much better) Those kind of issues are rare though.

Mhmm, yea I am just making sure I am getting the best VR headset for it's price cause once I open it up, no refunds! (For obvious reasons)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Still too expensive.