By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is the most significant (important) console in history?

Which is the most important console ever?

Atari 2600 119 6.86%

NES 806 46.48%

SNES 109 6.29%

Sega Genesis 25 1.44%

N64 54 3.11%

PSX 303 17.47%

XBox 14 0.81%

PS2 225 12.98%

XB360 20 1.15%

Other - please explain 59 3.40%

Total:1,734
CGI-Quality said:
Aeolus451 said:

You're either lying or don't know what you're talking about. Pick whichever one I don't care. 

I'll just list some games that had on genesis to debunk what you said. 

Aero The Acro-bat 1 & 2.

Barbie: Super Model

Bugs Bunny in double trouble

Captain Planet

Daffy Duck in hollywood

I could on and on. 

Always want to smack-a-bitch when they forget Castle Of Illusion! :p

lmao. That's another good one and worded just right.

Around the Network

I hate to follow the herd, but it's GOT to be the NES. Hands down.

Before then, it was all about arcades. People had to go to a specific place to play their games, and then pump in quarter after quarter after quarter. Not to mention, we are MOSTLY talking about kids and teens. So their parents had to drive them around and give them copious amounts of single dollar bills.

The NES, even though Odyssey and Atari came first, is what popularized home gaming. It MADE the console a thing, PERIOD.

The answer is NES, of course. This is obvious.
Done. Next topic.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
VAMatt said:

I agree with this statement.  However, the same logic could be applied to Atari - "Any other console wouldn't even exist, if Atari 2600 didn't create (prove the significance of?) the industry"

It existed before Atari already. Credits should go to Ralph Baer and his Brown Box, which is the very first Console, at least in concept. It then became the Magnavox Odyssey, which is the first commercially released console, and console gaming started to take off from there.

So Magnavox Odyssey, as it basically created the market, followed by the NES, which revived the North american market after it crashed.

The Fairchild Channel F comes in third, being the first console to have programmable cartridges, meaning it could do more than just the variations of Pong that the first gen consoles like the Odyssey where capable of. However, Ralph Baer already had this concept in mind with the Brown Box and thus was just a matter of time before this would happen, hence why it only get's the third spot on this list.

Sure. All of those deserve some credit. But, they were more like proof-of-concept, than real, successful consoles.  Sales were tiny, relative to the Atari 2600.

When I made this poll, I expected NES to get about 50% of the votes, which it has. But, I figured Atari 2600 would have another 25 or so percent, with the rest scattered among the remaining consoles. I am really surprised to see so many votes for PS1 and PS2.

It would be interesting to know the age of Voters along with this poll. I wonder if it is hard for people to give credit to systems that they have never played....

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

yep lets just ignore trends that were already happening before PS1 even released, that makes a whole lot of sense........

also what Sony games are you referring to that were so different during the PS1 era? again, you have to look at trends that were happening previous to PS1.

in the years leading up to PS1, developers were releasing more and more games aimed at teens who were kids during the NES era and developers were able to start exploring with new game concepts/genres thanks to 3D gaming becoming more prevalent.

you keep talking about PS1 breaking sales records never imagined, this is true for Europe which Sony completely deserves credit for, but in America/Japan the console market didnt see a massive change in trajectory.

America

Atari era=~30 million

NES era=~40 million

SNES/Genesis era=~50 million

PS1/N64 era=~60 million

Japan

NES era=~20 million

SNES era=~25 million

PS1 era=~30 million

Europe

NES/Master System era=under 20 million

SNES/Genesis era= under 20 million

PS1 era=~45 million

Sony's biggest contribution with PS1 was making gaming mainstream in Europe but the other things were already set in motion and happening with or without them.

Some nintendo  fans just love to pretend that playstation consoles never accomplished anything except with their sales while nintendo consoles are the greatest consoles ever even though they selll like crap. The changes weren't gonna happen without an outside inflluence like sony entering the market. Sega and nintendo kept releasing the same games they ever did. I was there. Nintendo still hasn't adapted it's game library to gamers. 3rd party devs wouldn't have released alot of the games they did without playstation consoles because of nintendo's treatment of them and attitude towards them. 

Stop trying to change the goalpost. We're not talking about only one geographic area.

well you really arent worth discussing with if you're just going to brush off what i said simply because im a Nintendo fan.

Sony accomplished alot with the PlayStation brand, they made console gaming mainstream in Europe & developing nations, they popularized the concept of consoles being multimedia devices, thanks to their heavy promotion of Final Fantasy VII they helped make the RPG genre mainstream outside of Japan, they had less restrictions on 3rd parties which helped them to grow, etc.

i will give credit where credit is due, Sony & the PS brand have done alot for gaming in the last 22 years but i will not give them credit for things they did not do.

Consoles were already huge in America/Japan and the console market was already transitioning to a stronger focus on teens/young adults in the years leading up to PS1.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NES or the Playstation one.

twintail said:
zorg1000 said:

the console market did not decline in that time period, you have no idea what you are talking about.

NES/Master System/Atari 7800=~75 million

SNES/Genesis/TurboGrafx=~100 million

PS1/N64/Saturn=~140 million

now lets take a look at the indvidual regions

America

NES era=~40 million

SNES era=~50 million

PS1 era=~60 million

Japan

NES era=~20 million

SNES era=~25 million

PS1 era=~30 million

You cant tell me 75 million in America/Japan is just enthusiasts & children but 90 million is mainstream. The vast majority of growth happened in Europe and thats what Sony deserves credit for.

80s kids were becoming teens/young adults in the 90s so developers/publishers making games for those age groups was just a natural progression and was already happening before PS1 released, games like Mortal Kombat & Doom are a couple examples of this.

Damn forgot about the Genesis. So you are right about that.

I can't fault your reasoning or numbers. But I never said that NES was only enthusiasts and children . It's demographics obviously extended beyond that much like any other product. 

I still think PS1 is more significant. It's more of a turning point for the industry whereas NES cemented itself as a popular product in a growing medium. 

I don't doubt the NES nor think its insignificant. My first console. Probably my favourite Nintendo console too.

there was a 10 year period where playing games was just called "playing Nintendo".

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

I would have to say the Playstation one (alongside the saturn and n64).

That was the system that revolutionised how we gamed and what games could do. Voice acting, 3D worlds, CG videos, cut-scenes, etc. The PSOne made amazing things for such a weak system. Every piece of that hardware got pushed to the limit and changed how games were perceived. It paved the way for the ps2 and for games to become mainstream.

Personally, I'd say the NES. It's the console that arguably revived the industry after the crash of 83, as well as the starting point of many long time going companies and beloved franchises. It also set certain video game standards and inspired ideas for other future game ideas. Gaming would possibly look quite different if it weren't for the NES. So that seems quite important in the industry. There are other companies that were important, such as the Playstation, Xbox and Atari but the NES feels like it had the biggest impact overall.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread