By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-rays sale percentage tracking

I could see Blu Ray really starting to establish itself in market share around the holiday season of 2010.

Around the Network

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") w w w . eveseller . c o m
selling eve online isk,items and eve accounts
within 15 mins deliver,Welcome to eveseller. C o M

www. e v e s e l l e r. com
We provide mostly everything in eve-online with cheap and fast service.Plz just took few minutes to see it,we will never let you down!!!

EVE-Online ISK 、EVE Online Ships 、EVE Online Items EVE Online Drones、 EVE Online Blueprints、 EVE Online Implants 、 EVE Online Skills EVE Online Accounts
EVE Online ISK ,EVE Online Items ,Assault Ships,Battlecruisers,Battleships,Black Ops,Capital Industrial Ships,Command Ships,Covert Ops Cruisers,Destroyers,Dreadnoughts,Electronic Attack Frigates,Exhumers
Frigates,Heavy Assault Ships,Heavy Interdictors,Industrial Ships Interceptors,Interdictors,Jump Frigates
Logistics,Marauders,Mining Barges,Recon Ships,Transport Ships

www. e v e s e l l e r. com

Seems to be floating around 10% lately, which is fantastic. When this thread started it would be lucky to manage 5%!

Holidays shud boost it up even more.

In fairness its taking a fair old time to overhaul DVD.

I guess the recession isnt helping.

Is it still outperforming DVD in like for like terms ?

I seem to remember that DVD had pretty much dislodged VHS three years after launch.

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:

I seem to remember that DVD had pretty much dislodged VHS three years after launch.

Yeah it is taking awhile to overtake DVD, but in fairness it has only been the only HD disc format for 18 months.   If it had been the only one since it had launched I am sure by now you would see the sales percentages in the 15-25% range instead of the 7-15% range.  

Vetteman94 said:
Cypher1980 said:

Yeah it is taking awhile to overtake DVD, but in fairness it has only been the only HD disc format for 18 months.   If it had been the only one since it had launched I am sure by now you would see the sales percentages in the 15-25% range instead of the 7-15% range.  

I take on board what you say. However DVD had in 4 years become the dollar dominant format.

Blu Ray is 3 years old and is barely scratching the popularity of DVD in terms of dollar sales in comparitive terms.

I think the format war, coupled with a recession and the high cost of entry (New HD telly and player) are holding the Blu Ray revolution back.

I dont know what the solution is but more needs to be done to push Blu Ray. Most non tech people still dont know about it.

That is true, Blu-ray is being hindered by high cost and a recession. The one thing they need to do more than anything is drop the cost of the media. That would be more important to the average consumer than anything. If the movies were in the $15-20 range like most DVDs are, I would think blu-ray would see a huge boost in numbers. People wont have a problem with the higher cost of entry if the movies were about equal to DVD, especially since $100 players are already available.

Its just a shame most people wont buy on Amazon. I dont think I have ever spent over $25 for a Blu-ray title.

Its all about education and for some reason the Blu Ray consortium cant seem to be bothered

Quote:
'Watchmen' dominates video charts

'Coraline' takes second; 'Knowing' stays strong at No. 3
By Thomas K. Arnold

July 29, 2009, 06:42 PM ET

"Watchmen"

Blu-ray Discs are showing some real clout. The action hit "Watchmen," from Warner Home Video, shot to the top of the national home video sales and rental charts its first week in stores, with 36% of its total unit sales coming from the high-definition edition.

Universal Studios' "Coraline" snagged the No. 2 spot on all three charts -- the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert and Blu-ray Disc sales charts, and Home Media Magazine's rental chart -- and even though the edgy animated hit didn't play straight to the young-male demo that swarmed all over "Watchmen," a solid 18% of its unit sales came from Blu-ray Discs, a surprisingly strong showing that indicates the format is fast moving out of the early adopter phase and into the mainstream.

Summit Home Entertainment's "Knowing" placed third, again on all three charts, with 17% of its sales in its third week of release coming from Blu-ray.

"Coraline" sold 70.7% as many copies and generated 63.7% as much rental action as "Watchmen," a good showing given the film's lower box office gross of $75.3 million. "Watchmen" earned $107.5 million.

Elsewhere on the charts, Warner's "Robot Chicken: Star Wars -- Episode II" debuted at No. 6 on the First Alert chart for the week ending July 26. Three TV DVD season sets also finished in the top 10: 20th Century Fox's "Prison Break: The Final Break" at No. 8, Universal Studios' "Psych: The Complete Third Season" at No. 9, and Warner's "Pushing Daisies: The Complete Second Season" at No. 10.

Meanwhile, Universal Studios' "Fast and Furious" came out of the gate with a vengeance July 28, selling nearly 25% of its initial retail shipment on its very first day of release.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4e32728fe86b6c04250e2ac8e8a1948e

Expected %age of Blu Ray for the week ending 26th is over 20%

and probably 36% for a day date release movie is the highest achieved by any Blu Ray.

So there r lot of signs of optimism.