By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-rays sale percentage tracking

And for who already have a great collection of DVD(just like me), you can get an upscaling DVD, if you live in US i recommend a Toshiba XDE, good price and great result. If you live in Latin America(many users) i recommend a Sony DVD with HDMI, okay price for our standards and pretty good result.

Around the Network
invetedlotus123 said:
And for who already have a great collection of DVD(just like me), you can get an upscaling DVD, if you live in US i recommend a Toshiba XDE, good price and great result. If you live in Latin America(many users) i recommend a Sony DVD with HDMI, okay price for our standards and pretty good result.

Why, whith Blu-ray players hitting the sub $100 mark and doing a better job at upscaling than most DVD players why bother?  Its not like Blu-ray players dont play DVDs.

Hmm I wished we had numbers for Japan/Europe.

sguy78 said:
When they bring prices down to much less ridiculous levels, I'll buy in. One of the other things hurting it, is there are people like myself who wanted to buy every DVD under the sun that they enjoyed. I have over 300 DVD's, and there is no way that I am going to replace all of them with Blu Ray.

I think every week there are tens of new titles coming out on BD, so why r u interested in catalogue titles.? although i do accept that there r few evergreen titles but still it is the new titles which i will buy for BD player not old title. it is saying like that until or unless each and every game i played on my 386 computer on a floppy is not available for $1 on Blu Ray disk, i won't buy Blu Ray player for my computer. If i m interested in BD it is cuz of the games like MGS, Uncharted, Killzone etc or films like Transformers 2, New harry potter, Monster vs aliens maybe..

Sorry about being a little late with this guys, I have been on vacation, but its not like that many people care around here.

Here are the numbers for week ending 07/12/09

Blu-ray percentage 13:87.   Pretty good numbers for Blu-ray, with it seeing an increase of 149.25% YoY with both total sales and DVD down.

Top 20 Sellers

Top 20 Blu-rays

Around the Network

149% is more than doubling its sales. Thats impressive I wonder if next year trends continue... then we can see it get 1/4th of total sales. Very impressive!

If I were Sony I'd start releasing timed exclusive blu-ray movies. try and bully people to upgrade.

Yeah its a great number, I expect to see over 20% Blu-ray share during the holidays. The players are getting to be very reasonable price wise and I also expect to see a price cut for the media as well. I have heard talks about timed exclusive Blu-ray releases, and I do beleive there are a few planned.

They don't even need to be a long delay between releases. I think something like a month timed would get the point across to a few consumers that movies are headeing in a new direction... and it doesn't need to be something like Harry Potter either. Though that probablly would be the most effective. I think a somethin smaller would do the trick.

Here are the numbers for weeks ending 7/19/09

Blu-ray percentage is 8:92.  Pretty bad week for Blu-ray despite being up 90.6% YoY and total media being down 13.5% YoY.

Top 20 Selling Movies

Top 10 Selling Blu-rays (Neilson either got lazy or the 11-20 spots are pathetic)

Not everyone will be looking in places like Amazon to get Blu Ray movies. Average consumers will see a large difference in price from DVD's when they go to the store.