By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-rays sale percentage tracking

I have a PS3 and I love the blu ray format, but the reality is that to most people blu ray is only an incremental upgrade to DVD and it doesnt offer anything new.

The only thing that we call all hope for is that blu ray establishes enough of a market to be viable, IMO it will never take over from DVD. The comparisons to DVD VS VHS are irrelvant because blu ray brings nothing new to the table besides HD picture and sound which are better than upscaling, but not dramatically better. Besides that to most consumers blu ray isnt an essential purchase whereas DVD offered so much more and revolutioned the home video market.

Around the Network
relapse said:
I have a PS3 and I love the blu ray format, but the reality is that to most people blu ray is only an incremental upgrade to DVD and it doesnt offer anything new.

The only thing that we call all hope for is that blu ray establishes enough of a market to be viable, IMO it will never take over from DVD. The comparisons to DVD VS VHS are irrelvant because blu ray brings nothing new to the table besides HD picture and sound which are better than upscaling, but not dramatically better. Besides that to most consumers blu ray isnt an essential purchase whereas DVD offered so much more and revolutioned the home video market.

You probably have a point. I just wonder if the studios are waiting for a critical mass of ownership before they start with timed release Blu Ray films

This will at least force people to upgrade if they want to see the latest and greatest movies first.

I suspect for most people, however, that wont be an issue and Blu Ray will at best reach 30 percent total dollar sales year on year.

Thanks for the article Noobie, I cant wait to see what the numbers are for this week after news like that

I think we could be in for quite a 'Blu' Christmas.....
We could be talking maybe 20% by the years end Imo.

Here are the numbers for week ending 7/26/09

Huge week for Blu-ray pulling off a 16:84 ratio and being up 471.8% YoY,  DVD had a good week being up 14.75% YoY and total media up 31.7% YoY

Top 20 Selling Movies.  The Watchmen wins this easily

Top 20 Blu-rays.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
colonelstubbs said:
I should really get around to starting off my Bluray collection...but they are so horribly overpriced compared to DVDs

Amazon is having a MASSIVE sale. You can get 116 titles for less then or equal to DVD prices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&docId=1000233361&tag=panandscathed-20

I'll start pretty soon.

Go bluray

Keep it up.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I am expecting another pretty big week from Blu-ray, in the 14-15% range, the early numbers look really promising.

And I was correct.......

Here are the numbers for week ending 8/2/09

Another huge week for Blu-ray pulling in a 15:85 ratio.  Also Blu-ray sales are up 324.7% YoY,  DVD had a good week being up 3.65% YoY and total media up 16.6% YoY

Top 20 Sellers

Blu-ray percentages pretty high for the Top Twenty which led to the big week, almost double digit percentages for every title.

Top 20 Selling Blu-rays

Blu-Rays are much more expensive than DVDs. DVDs continue to outsell Blu-Ray by more 10 to 1 in unit sales. DVDs revenue outsells Blu-Ray revenue 6 to 1. Blu-Ray does not look like taking over from DVD as the preferred medium format.