By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-rays sale percentage tracking

Akuma, you're still just looking at one market. DVD goes much further than just movies. Blu Ray will have an extremely difficult time overtaking those other markets and industries and so long as DVD holds their footing on them, Blu Ray will not take over.

DVD is more than just a movie format. This is something most Blu Ray predictions fail to consider.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Akuma, you're still just looking at one market. DVD goes much further than just movies. Blu Ray will have an extremely difficult time overtaking those other markets and industries and so long as DVD holds their footing on them, Blu Ray will not take over.

DVD is more than just a movie format. This is something most Blu Ray predictions fail to consider.

Which markets are you referring to?  If you are referring to the computer market, I would say that the optical format of choice is still the CD not DVD.  I think this thread is focused on Blu-ray's impact on the movie industry.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

dbot said:
Viper1 said:

Which markets are you referring to?  If you are referring to the computer market, I would say that the optical format of choice is still the CD not DVD.  I think this thread is focused on Blu-ray's impact on the movie industry.

to add what dbot just said...

gosh.. if only could sony be smart enough to take advantage of blu-ray's storaging capacity and come up with some kind of Blu-ray Burning device... perferablly something that you put inside a computer.

Damn... why didn't any of us think of that... You must be an absolute genius to come up with that brilliant idea, Viper.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
akuma587 said:

You could have said the same thing about VHS (and a lot of people did).  And the fact is that a lot of people would have kept buying them if the studios had kept making them.  But they all decided to pull the plug.  VHS was pretty poor on a technical level though, I do admit.  Nobody really missed it.

A lot of you are missing the key, planned obsolescence.  ssj12 has it figured out.  Some people will never support a new format, but eventually they HAVE to when studios and retailers start pulling the plug on the old format.  My parents didn't even own a DVD player before Best Buy quit selling VHS!

Blu-Ray has shown some power this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if in 2009 we start to see a few titles get the Blu-Ray version a few weeks ahead of time like we did with DVD.

Retailers make more money off Blu-Ray than they do off of DVD.  That alone is enough reason for retailers to push it harder than DVD.  They did the same thing with VHS.  Anyone who thinks they won't do the same thing with DVD is fooling themselves.  It may not take place overnight, but at the end of the day big companies don't give a shit about the customer.  They give a shit about the customers money.  And if they can collusively force the customer to buy more expensive things, they will.

Do you think retailers sell HDTV's out of the goodness of their heart?  NO!  They sell them because it makes them more money than standard televisions.

Movie studios decided to pull the plug on VHS tapes *after* VHS sales fell far below DVD sales, not the other way around.  Movie companies will decide to pull the plug on DVDs *after* the sales fall to a small percentage of Blu-ray sales.  They will not pull the plug on their cash cow (DVD) prematurely in a gambit to force Blu-ray adoption.  I know a lot of us (including me) would like to believe that the movie studios will make our video-phile dreams come true by forcing consumers to adopt an HD disc format, but it doesn't work that way.  The studios are in this to make money, and companies that decide to force adoption of a new standard (IBM's Microchannel bus for example) by cutting off supply of the old format are almost guaranteed to fail.  Even MS can't force adoption of Vista... many customers are paying premiums to have XP installed on new machines.

Even assuming the studios all got together and decided to make this fantasy scenario become real, the FTC would be all over that like hair on a gorilla.  When the major players in a market decide to force consumers into a more costly, artificial situation not driven by market dynamics, that's called collusion, and it's illegal in the US.

Viper1 said:

what markets are you talking about? Business data storage? Blu-ray is taking over. Games on Blu-ray, while not needed yet on PC the PS3 is a gaming device.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

KingofWale, nice attempt at sarcasm. Just remember next time it's goal is to be funny and correct.

While data storage for computers is one of the markets, it's not the only market. It's also a very small market give the price of blank Blu Ray discs. CD and DVD are cheap, ubiquitous and in most cases large enough for their purpose. The most common use of optical burning on a computer is for audio CD's.

Data archival for large file sets are better served by redundant networked storage.

While I understand the point of the thread relates to the movie format, it is because of the other industries that DVD holds sway over that will limit the propagation of Blu Ray. It's also heavily tied to the install base of the PS3 which we know all too well is not enough.

daxiang12 said:
As Wii will soon take >50% of video game console market share over two HD consoles, I just can't see how BR can overtake DVD's domination.

People say that BR is outpacing DVD at the same time frame, based on the news that Dark Knight sold 1.7 million units worldwide in the first week, beating Matrix's record of ~1 million when launched in 1999. But no one mentioned that in 1999, when Matrix DVD launched, DVD players had been outselling VCRs by 13 to 1. Also at that time, 60 million DVD movies had been sold, compared to just ~20 million BR discs.

Does anyone have any info about the stand-alone BR players sales compared to DVD players so far?

from where you get that DVD player were outselling VCR by 13 : 1 and 60 million DVD movies were sold?

Here is the link which i feel is very accurate atleast for DVD players..

it says only total around 12 m DVD players were sold and VCR was outselling DVD players by 7:1 in 1999

www.pff.org/issues-pubs/books/factbook_2006.pdf

Viper1 said:
Max, good point but so many people are still confused on analog TV vs digital TV. Digital TV is what we are about to switch to however, digital TV does not equate to HDTV. 480 resolution TV signals will still be transmitted for possibly decades while the digital SD TV's will also be sold for quite a long time from now.

I thought biggest TV manufacturers don't even make SD TV's anymore. At least here in Finland no one seems to sell SD TV's. I checked several websites selling TV's and NONE of them have SD TV's on sale (biggest retailer had over 100 HD TV models and not even a single SD TV). Samsung and Sony don't even have SD TV:s listed on their websites, at least not on their regional websites.

Then again, we moved to digital TV over year ago but our TV signals here are still SD and will probably be for a long time. And you only need a cheap set-top box to watch digital TV and most people here decided to buy that one instead of new TV (there isn't much benefit from new TV if signal is still SD). That could happen in USA also. You don't actually need new expensive TV to watch digital TV.

In America, the government offered a $40.00 voucher on the purchase of the set top digital boxes.

Try entering your stores electronics departments and you may find digital SD TV's for sale. Advertising and most online retail won't carry them because they get a higher margin and revenue on HDTV's.

The bigger name companies still make the SD TV's, they just brand them with their subsidiaries and or/partners and keep their own names on their HDTV's.

BKK2 has a good point, I am the only one of my family who doesn't own a HD tv. In my family it is always the same, someone buys a new thing like DVD in the time, family comes over see how great it is and some weeks/months later they bought it aswell and after a year or two everyone has it;.....The same happened with HD tv's and now some already bought a blu ray player.