By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-rays sale percentage tracking

@Noobie

Thanks for the pdf file.

I found this link here: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/%60%60The+Matrix%27%27+DVD+Ships+1.5+Million,+the+Most+Successful+Title+in...-a055918526

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
In America, the government offered a $40.00 voucher on the purchase of the set top digital boxes.

Try entering your stores electronics departments and you may find digital SD TV's for sale. Advertising and most online retail won't carry them because they get a higher margin and revenue on HDTV's.

The bigger name companies still make the SD TV's, they just brand them with their subsidiaries and or/partners and keep their own names on their HDTV's.

The SDTV's are increasingly a fraction of the TV's in the store.  They are shuffled off to the less prime shelf space and treated like dirt, especially the CRT's.  The LCD non-HDTV's are treated somewhat better.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

daxiang12 said:
@Noobie

Thanks for the pdf file.

I found this link here: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/%60%60The+Matrix%27%27+DVD+Ships+1.5+Million,+the+Most+Successful+Title+in...-a055918526

i don't have any issue accepting the DVD might have sold upto 60 million units.. but DVD players were definitely not selling as highly as they portrayed.. i m sure that for DVD player vs VHS comparison they must have used Japan or some specific region... instead of the worldwide comparison.

I see a lot of discrepency if you see the number... they r saying it was outselling VCR 13 to 1 since launch.. So in those 2 yrs only 180k VCR sold..?? doesn't look right to me at all.

Anyway i don't see the picture as bleak as they article is showing

Viper1 said:
Max, good point but so many people are still confused on analog TV vs digital TV. Digital TV is what we are about to switch to however, digital TV does not equate to HDTV. 480 resolution TV signals will still be transmitted for possibly decades while the digital SD TV's will also be sold for quite a long time from now.

The bolded part is not true.  The goverment is reclaiming the SD airwaves.  The setup box downscales the HD signal to 480i.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

dbot said:
Viper1 said:
Max, good point but so many people are still confused on analog TV vs digital TV. Digital TV is what we are about to switch to however, digital TV does not equate to HDTV. 480 resolution TV signals will still be transmitted for possibly decades while the digital SD TV's will also be sold for quite a long time from now.

The bolded part is not true.  The goverment is reclaiming the SD airwaves.  The setup box downscales the HD signal to 480i.

Someone lied to you.

Once again DTV does not equal HDTV. 

Besides that, only the full powered TV statsions in the US are switching to digital in Feb.  That's just about 1,800 stations but there still over 7,000 low powered stations that are not under the federal mandate and have no time frame to swich to digital broadcasting.

What you might be talking about is the reallocation of the lower end of the 700 Mhz band for other communications use.  That affects channels 52-69 which has been in transition anyway since the 1990's.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
dbot said:
Viper1 said:

I'm not from the US, but surely they will just be "reclaiming" the analogue OTA frequencies, and SD broadcasts will still continue on digital frequencies. If it's anything like anywhere else in the world then the set-top box will just decode the digital OTA SD broadcasts, there should be no need to decode and downscale HD broadcasts to SD as these should be simulcast in SD too. AFAIK most people in US use cable anyway, so should be unaffected by this.

Viper1 said:
dbot said:
Viper1 said:

The bolded part is not true. The goverment is reclaiming the SD airwaves. The setup box downscales the HD signal to 480i.

Someone lied to you.

Once again DTV does not equal HDTV.

Besides that, only the full powered TV statsions in the US are switching to digital in Feb. That's just about 1,800 stations but there still over 7,000 low powered stations that are not under the federal mandate and have no time frame to swich to digital broadcasting.

What you might be talking about is the reallocation of the lower end of the 700 Mhz band for other communications use. That affects channels 52-69 which has been in transition anyway since the 1990's.

I fully understand the differences between DTV and HDTV.

If you are relying on the low powered translators as an argument against HDTV penetration than you are grasping at straws.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Apparently you haven't read my posts very well if that's your gist.

I brought up the low powered stations because you claimed the government is reclaiming all the SD bandwidth.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

January 4th

DVD $132.83 million down 56.09% Total 84%
Blu-ray $24.33 million down 39.28% Total 16%

New record for BD market share.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom823310ZDC/index.php#/0

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Updated for ALTD and added a YTD spot to track this year's top 20 sales.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453