By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - CNN reddit situation- Blackmailed user wrong person? BUZZFEED exposing CNN?!

Lafiel said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Huffpost..... LMAO! Enough said.

Even in the unlikelyhood of that being true, doesn't warrant the destruction of someone's character because of a dumbass gif of Trump tackling a dude w/a CNN logo spliced over his head (especially when he obviously had no idea that Trump would use the image on his twitter)... I mean hell, this could have been any one of us, getting a couple yuks on the internet. This is pure outright insanity. Even Orwell couldn't imagine this level of big brother creepiness. 

if anybody "destroyed the guys character" it is himself

and as I said in a post before, the wrestling gif was harmless, what wasn't harmless was the account's 18 month history of hateful, biggotted, antisemitic etc etc etc posts coupled with it's newly gained celebrity status due to the president tweeting a video and the guy claiming 'hey, I did that! the president acknowledged me!' (well, somebody else added sound to it)

Orwell's 1984 was about thought-control and mindcontrol with the power of language

posts on the internet aren't just "thoughts", they are published speech, just like anything you say, but with a potentially much much broader audience, so this situation isn't at all "Orwellian"

IRRELIVENT. 

We're not talking about his past history, we're talking about this specific post, which is what they are specifically targetting. People are capable of horrible and idiotic behavior, but a major news network is supposed to be above that.

And if you're going to defend this major news network essentially blackmailing a civilian over a fucking gif, (which is what I'm bewilderingly gathering here) then I have nothing more to say to you.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Imagine how great it would've been if CNN just made their own gif using something like a mascot race or something derpy. Keep the whole thing light-hearted, even if Trump was trying to be a dick.

Imagine how great the world would be then.

I got a chuckle out of the Trump lays the smackdown on CNN.

Wait, you guys are only figuring out NOW that American news media is a joke? That's been common knowledge since the 90s when they were treating Bill Clinton's blow job as though he had gone out on a joyride, naked, with a machine gun through child daycare central, and among the dead was Putin's son and Showa's great granddaughter being babysat by Pope Jean Paul II and the Dalai Lama.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

DarthMetalliCube said:
Lafiel said:

if anybody "destroyed the guys character" it is himself

and as I said in a post before, the wrestling gif was harmless, what wasn't harmless was the account's 18 month history of hateful, biggotted, antisemitic etc etc etc posts coupled with it's newly gained celebrity status due to the president tweeting a video and the guy claiming 'hey, I did that! the president acknowledged me!' (well, somebody else added sound to it)

Orwell's 1984 was about thought-control and mindcontrol with the power of language

posts on the internet aren't just "thoughts", they are published speech, just like anything you say, but with a potentially much much broader audience, so this situation isn't at all "Orwellian"

IRRELIVENT. 

We're not talking about his past history, we're talking about this specific post, which is what they are specifically targetting. People are capable of horrible and idiotic behavior, but a major news network is supposed to be above that.

And if you're going to defend this major news network essentially blackmailing a civilian over a fucking gif, (which is what I'm bewilderingly gathering here) than I have nothing more to say to you.

The posting history of said account isn't at all irrelevant, it contextualizes that the gif was part of a pattern of violence towards minorities and the media the user spread and the fame it brought him (by himself claiming it as his) made the user's previous post circulate in the social networks aswell.

Holding people accountable for what they elect to share to the public (and the internet is a freaking gigantic public) is part of the job of the media. That's not blackmail, CNN isn't extorting him and if what he posted in perceived anonymity (yet he posted information that made him identifiable) is something that can put his life in jeopardy (what kind of "jokes" do get this harmful to yourself as soon as you put your name to them, huh?) then that is his own personal responsibility. Atleast CNN gave him the option to remain anonymous.

Personally I think hatemongers need to be exposed and held accountable, no matter if they preach in churches, synagoges, mosques, other temples or the internet.

Btw as you said yourself, that one gif was harmless. It would have done nothing to his life if that was the worst he ever posted on that account and his real name was made public, so by saying he was "blackmailed" you acknowledged yourself that his posting history is in fact not irrelevant.

Around the Network

Shit... I'm just bewildered. I don't even know what to say anymore. The telltales signs that we're marching towards an authoritarian police state are just getting more and more apparent. I just hope I'm gone before it happens.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

monocle_layton said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

We all remember Trump's WWE tweet, right? Regardless of whether you thought it was childish to post (or perfectly fine), I believe it's safe to say it was actually humorous. I got a decent chuckle out of it. 

Anyways, it seems like CNN has gone haywire and believe this is a cryptic message that he's promoting violence. They've gone ahead and tracked the reddit user who created the post. After threatening to reveal his identity, the user made an apology and asked to stay anonymous due to fears of his family being harmed.

I don't see how this is acceptable by any means. Is this how a professional news station actually spends its time now? I stopped looking at the news in general, and this honestly isn't convincing me to return.

(Note- cut any "dae left is evull damn leeberals" statements please. You aren't smart or 'woke' by generalizing a large group of people and creating a circlejerk)

What's disgusting is that the president found a gif shared on a toxic subreddit like The Donald.

Bit confused, didn't they catch out a CNN producer admitting on candid camera that they're pretty much nothing but fake news? How are they not shut down yet? Who is still watching?

CNN is pure garbage, can't believe that they would get so angry over a meme. Hopefully the Kek Army will start trolling the shit outta them now like they did Shia.

Panama said:
Bit confused, didn't they catch out a CNN producer admitting on candid camera that they're pretty much nothing but fake news? How are they not shut down yet? Who is still watching?

Never Trumpers and Airports.