By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - CNN reddit situation- Blackmailed user wrong person? BUZZFEED exposing CNN?!

barneystinson69 said:
Lafiel said:

The posting history of said account isn't at all irrelevant, it contextualizes that the gif was part of a pattern of violence towards minorities and the media the user spread and the fame it brought him (by himself claiming it as his) made the user's previous post circulate in the social networks aswell.

Holding people accountable for what they elect to share to the public (and the internet is a freaking gigantic public) is part of the job of the media. That's not blackmail, CNN isn't extorting him and if what he posted in perceived anonymity (yet he posted information that made him identifiable) is something that can put his life in jeopardy (what kind of "jokes" do get this harmful to yourself as soon as you put your name to them, huh?) then that is his own personal responsibility. Atleast CNN gave him the option to remain anonymous.

Personally I think hatemongers need to be exposed and held accountable, no matter if they preach in churches, synagoges, mosques, other temples or the internet.

Btw as you said yourself, that one gif was harmless. It would have done nothing to his life if that was the worst he ever posted on that account and his real name was made public, so by saying he was "blackmailed" you acknowledged yourself that his posting history is in fact not irrelevant.

What the fuck are you talking about? How the fuck does this gif show violence against minorities? CNN lost their shit over nothing...

Hey, this is a meme war! Quit talking to the enemy.

Around the Network
TargaryenVers2 said:

Because Trump's camp over at their subreddit is CLEARLY completely innocent of this type of behavior

Oh wait

So we're comparing a few trolls on the internet to one of the largest american cable companies?

Sigh*

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

monocle_layton said:
CNN right now is like that one crazy ex who pulls off the biggest scene to try to expose you, but is somehow shut down by the most hated dude in the room.

Talk about an embarrassment. United Airlines and CNN are the most humiliating companies this year

I still like CNN. Everyone makes mistakes.

They dox the dude. They better hope that shit don't backfire. I know a shit ton of hackers on Reddit ready to unload on CNN.

monocle_layton said:
TH3-D0S3R said:
Sorry if for the copy-paste job, but it's too important.

Buzzfeed of all companies EXPOSED CNN, saying that it wasn't actually HanA**holeSolo's Gif. The ratio aspect of the video has been confirmed to be impossible for the video to be from Reddit, so they just BLACKMAILED the wrong guy.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/how-a-random-gif-from-reddit-probably-ended-up-on-president?utm_term=.ovWm5jebM#.kqLY8Lz9x

I don't even know anymore.

So the user bragged about it when he wasn't even responsible and has been exposed?

And now BUZZFEED is actually showing honest journalism?

What the hell is going on???

I think the most interesting thing is that the guy's "racist" comments actually seem to come from a subreddit called "I'm going to go to hell for this,"  where people just post crude jokes/memes about sex, race, or whatever.  Granted, it's not everyone's cup of tea when it comes to humor, BUT it still means that there is a good chance he isn't actually racist.  He may just post stupid shit in that subreddit like many people do, so using that as a justification for what CNN did doesn't really hold up.

Granted, even if he was a racist, it still doesn't hold up.  Can't punish people for not believing a certain way.  As long as he's not out actually hurting/abusing people, there's little reason to attack him.  And CNN didn't even care about that stuff, or they would have been tracking down these types of people this whole time.  They just wanted to track down and attack the guy who made the gif.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
pokoko said:

You might want to reread my initial post.  Especially the main part, where I addressed the topic.  

Seriously, if you're so into Trump that you get mad about someone making a quip that CNN and Trump are both arrogant than you need to step back or seek help.  If you're saying that Trump has nothing to do with this topic then that's just downright silly.  It would also make you a complete hypocrite, as you said nothing to the person to whom I was replying, who took the topic in that direction in the first place.

Except for the part where I voted for Bernie. 

Except for the part where you addressed nothing I actually said, as I didn't ask who you voted for.  The fact is, you whined about me not addressing the topic, which I obviously did, but now you really aren't.  

CNN is disgusting. I deleted their app from my phone today.

thismeintiel said:
monocle_layton said:

So the user bragged about it when he wasn't even responsible and has been exposed?

And now BUZZFEED is actually showing honest journalism?

What the hell is going on???

I think the most interesting thing is that the guy's "racist" comments actually seem to come from a subreddit called "I'm going to go to hell for this,"  where people just post crude jokes/memes about sex, race, or whatever.  Granted, it's not everyone's cup of tea when it comes to humor, BUT it still means that there is a good chance he isn't actually racist.  He may just post stupid shit in that subreddit like many people do, so using that as a justification for what CNN did doesn't really hold up.

Granted, even if he was a racist, it still doesn't hold up.  Can't punish people for not believing a certain way.  As long as he's not out actually hurting/abusing people, there's little reason to attack him.  And CNN didn't even care about that stuff, or they would have been tracking down these types of people this whole time.  They just wanted to track down and attack the guy who made the gif.

"I'm going to hell for this" was actually a good place for dark humour until the altright took over. Now it's just a place to be racist/xenophobic/sexist/dickish and use the joke excuse to deflect all criticism

https://www.reddit.com/r/imgoingtohellforthis (Warning: Cringe)

The dude was perfectly fine with being a terrible person. He was obviously racist, and the fact he deleted his entire posts proves he didn't want people to know that.

Saying that however, CNN still made a terrible decision. How about they start spending their time making actual reports? 

If all the airports dropped CNN then their viewership would probably drop 90%.

barneystinson69 said:
Lafiel said:

The posting history of said account isn't at all irrelevant, it contextualizes that the gif was part of a pattern of violence towards minorities and the media the user spread and the fame it brought him (by himself claiming it as his) made the user's previous post circulate in the social networks aswell.

Holding people accountable for what they elect to share to the public (and the internet is a freaking gigantic public) is part of the job of the media. That's not blackmail, CNN isn't extorting him and if what he posted in perceived anonymity (yet he posted information that made him identifiable) is something that can put his life in jeopardy (what kind of "jokes" do get this harmful to yourself as soon as you put your name to them, huh?) then that is his own personal responsibility. Atleast CNN gave him the option to remain anonymous.

Personally I think hatemongers need to be exposed and held accountable, no matter if they preach in churches, synagoges, mosques, other temples or the internet.

Btw as you said yourself, that one gif was harmless. It would have done nothing to his life if that was the worst he ever posted on that account and his real name was made public, so by saying he was "blackmailed" you acknowledged yourself that his posting history is in fact not irrelevant.

What the fuck are you talking about? How the fuck does this gif show violence against minorities? CNN lost their shit over nothing...

you are a an educated guy, you can read very well - all the answers you seek are in that very post you quoted, but I highlighted them for you