By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Nintendo titles are AAA?

mainline 3d zelda, 3d mario, 3d metroid, mario kart, smash bros, pokemon and xenoblade. F zero possibly if it ever returned with 30 plus courses and racers with a story mode on top of grand prix mode then it could easily be classed as AAA.

Around the Network

Yeah well Nintendo literally have a Quintuple A game on their system, The first game got the first code on the cartridge and it fucking fits too.

That's a AAAAA game right there and Nintendo knew it pre launch.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

shikamaru317 said:
RavenXtra said:

Seriously? That series gets so much marketing cross-promotion, tie-ins, and TV advertising I wouldn't be surprised if the budget is higher than the rest of Nintendo's games combined

It gets a big marketing budget for sure, but development budgets are likely quite low. 

Development is not more expensive because the game has better visuals, I'm pretty sure that those paychecks at gamefreak are bigger than the development team of many "AAA" games. 

RolStoppable said:
GoOnKid said:

The term 'AAA' needs to be defined first. Everyone uses it differently. But forget about it, we already tried that, it won't work. We will never find a consensus. AAA is just a meaningless word that's supposed to express high value. But as value is subjective, everybody will have a different opinion. For example, some would rate God of War as AAA, while I rather see a derivative of earlier games that brought nothing new to the table. On the other hand I would rate Mario as AAA, while others would feel like it's the same old same old. So, if we could have a common understanding of the term, we may find an answer to your question. But we can't.

AAA refers to high development and marketing budget. The quality of the games doesn't matter. Since the quality is irrelevant, the importance of AAA is artificial.

On topic: This year for Switch they are Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey.

I totally agree, but you should also add Arms in the mix. It looks good visually and I see them pushing it a lot, so it's probably not cheap.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Well, their main franchises seem to be Pokemon, Mario and Zelda. However, I never really divided Nintendo games by whether or not they're AAA to be honest.

Around the Network

Depends on your definition of AAA. In my opinion it's really just 3d mario, Mario kart, Pokemon, 3d Zelda, 3d metroid, and smash bros. Not knocking their other series and for the most part I prefer Nintendo's AA and A stuff over Mario and Pokemon but I have a hard time saying something like fire emblem, pikmin, or fatal frame is in the same league as Mario, fallout, or assassin's Creed when it comes to production values or scale

All of their first party titles are.

Hmm, I'd say Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros and Xenoblade may fall into this 'AAA' category, as they seem to be Nintendo's biggest IPs.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Hmm, interesting. AAA is definitely Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash bros, Metroid, Splatoon now, F-zero if it ever returns, maybe some others. Arms marketing seems AAA but development wise feels AA to me.

Super Smash Bros.