By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Played Three Hopes demo and sadly am a bit less hyped than I was.

The game is kind of odd in terms of the story. The whole point of Three Houses was spending time in Garreg Mach, getting to know the characters which made it a big deal when things broke down. Here, you're out of the monestary by an hour or so in. It's much harder to get emotionally involved in the story, and I imagine it would be near impossible if you hadn't played through Three Houses.

Around the Network

Digimon story cyber sleuth complete edition on sale for a massive 80% off
I could not click buy fast enough

Smt 5 33% off, I own it physically but if you don't own it and were curious, and don't mind digital I would happily recommend

New trailer for Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, demo coming out on the 14th.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak new details shared, demo coming June 14th, future updates teased | GoNintendo

Thicc mama Luigi

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

Played Three Hopes demo and sadly am a bit less hyped than I was.

The game is kind of odd in terms of the story. The whole point of Three Houses was spending time in Garreg Mach, getting to know the characters which made it a big deal when things broke down. Here, you're out of the monestary by an hour or so in. It's much harder to get emotionally involved in the story, and I imagine it would be near impossible if you hadn't played through Three Houses.

I don't consider that a problem. When I first witnessed a base camp, I feared these interruptions might be as exhausting as in Three Houses, but chapter 4 looks like there will be much less management within the base. I also wouldn't want to have to get to know everyone again in a drawn out procedure. Neither is it an issue that having played Three Houses before is highly recommended, because this is a Warriors game that is specifically based on Three Houses, so it should be self-explanatory who the target audience is.

Odd story is the name of the game in Nintendo Warriors games, so rather than complaining about some weird pacing, appreciate that the game gets fast to the point of telling its alternate storyline to Three Houses by using the gap between the timeskip of the game it's based on.

It took me a bit to get used to the gameplay mechanics after having played so much of the first Fire Emblem Warriors, but it's all coming together. I hope they tied this whole project nicely together with a new game plus where you get free access to all battles after having cleared all (presumably three) routes of the game.

Lastly, I think the whole overkill of "choose pretty much any class for any character" is much more suited to the nature of a Warriors game than a Fire Emblem game. I strongly prefer the FE games where characters have greatly limited class options, simply because I think the way of fighting they've chosen is supposed to tie into their personality as a whole.

All this is to say that I am more hyped for the game after playing its demo. S-ranks for battles are also back, which were sorely missing in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

It's a problem if you expect it to tell a compelling or at least a cohesive narrative on its own. In Three Houses you would at least understand 

Spoiler!
Edlegard's motivation for rebelling against the church, if not sympathize with her.

here they just seem like they woke up one morning and snapped. If you haven't played the games, the whole thing makes no sense, and if you have, the characters are acting in strange ways that don't make sense. And, they've kind of completely dodged the main theme of the game since Byleth no longer seems to be a teacher. Maybe they'll work them into the game in a way that makes sense, but it's an odd choice.

If you want to just cut up legions of indescript enemies it's fine, but the reason I would buy this but wouldn't buy other Musou games is because of the connection I have with the world and characters. So, if they fuck that up, I don't have much reason to invest. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

It's a problem if you expect it to tell a compelling or at least a cohesive narrative on its own. In Three Houses you would at least understand 

Spoiler!
Edlegard's motivation for rebelling against the church, if not sympathize with her.

here they just seem like they woke up one morning and snapped. If you haven't played the games, the whole thing makes no sense, and if you have, the characters are acting in strange ways that don't make sense. And, they've kind of completely dodged the main theme of the game since Byleth no longer seems to be a teacher. Maybe they'll work them into the game in a way that makes sense, but it's an odd choice.

If you want to just cut up legions of indescript enemies it's fine, but the reason I would buy this but wouldn't buy other Musou games is because of the connection I have with the world and characters. So, if they fuck that up, I don't have much reason to invest. 

In order to understand your spoiler event of Three Houses, you have to have picked the approriate route in the game. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

Byleth no longer being a teacher in Three Hopes is why I've called this an alternate storyline, but it would probably be more accurate to call it an alternative Fodlan universe or something along these lines. You absolutely shouldn't expect Three Hopes to be an extension of Three Houses, because it's going to be a lot like Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity which did its own thing too and therefore ultimately did not tie in with Breath of the Wild's story like originally believed.

So if you place that much importance on the world and characters of Three Houses, then it's very likely that you will be disappointed by how the story in Three Hopes plays out and the whole game will feel like a soured experience. While it would be fair to assume that the characters stay largely intact in Three Hopes, the world's events of Three Houses and Three Hopes will be very disconnected. Three Hopes isn't a telling of the story of what happened during Three Houses' timeskip, but rather just works with the original premise and ultimately tells a whole different story that will be often contradicted by what happened in Three Houses. At least that's how I imagine it will play out.

So when it comes to your expectations specifically, I would highly recommend that you hold off from buying until other players have been able to give a general overview of the entirety of the story in Three Hopes, because the game might very well divert even farther from Three Houses than what could be seen in its demo.

I'm down with playable Three Houses fanfic, I just expect some quality control. I didn't expect the same story, I just expected it to be... good. So far that doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 15 June 2022

Finished 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim last night, and oh my gosh what a wild ride.

The labyrinthine and enthralling story, the endearing characters, the killer soundtrack, the palpable love and passion for all things science fiction, the lovely art style, the badass kaiji-vs-mech tactical action, just an incredible experience from top to bottom, and truly one of the most unique and memorable games I've ever played.

Following that ending after a 35 hour/2 month journey, I am left with a similar feeling to when you finish an amazing book or TV show, where you feel as though you've gotten to know and love the characters and having to part ways with them is so deeply bittersweet.

Very few games have managed to intrigue and move me like this one. It's not the kind of game I would usually play but I am so, so glad I took a chance on it.

I highly recommend it to anyone with a Switch or PS4.

Wow, the difference is night and day!

CaptainExplosion said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Wow, the difference is night and day!

Still anticipating a lot of glitches after the Paper Mario port.

I thought the Paper Mario port was fixed a few months ago with Majora's Mask release? 

BasilZero said:

I wish the NES, SNES and N64 games were available as separate purchase.

I gave up and just went ahead and pirated it all. I'd be happy to give them my money but I'm not a child. I don't appreciate them telling me what I can and can't play with arbitrary 'because I told you so' rules. 

Fuck em. They got plenty of my money on Wii and WiiU, and if they let me I'll give them money on Switch. Until then, I'll happily pirate the shit out of all their NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy, and Game Boy Advance games. I also got Sega Genesis, Atari, and a few others. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android