By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Just bought my first new SNES game in years; Demon's Crest, a game I never got around to playing.

And holy shit, it is awesome! I can't believe more people don't talk about this one. It's presentation is really different for a game of its era, very moody, gothic, almost cinematic. For example, it opens with you, the titular demon, in a castle; a dark monstrous shape stomps passed outside, then the gate opens, and a decaying, screen-filling dragon with flesh hanging from its bones attacks you, throwing you straight into a learn-or-die boss fight right off the bat. From the very beginning, it establishes itself as a game that doesn't stick to the usual conventions of the era and isn't afraid to go all out.

Once you escape and begin to explore the world, your ability to grip walls and fly to a limited degree makes movement and traversal more interesting than a standard 16-bit platformer, and while the game itself is tough as nails, it still feels fair. The developers went the extra mile in so many little ways; for example, where most any other gamer would've had a 2D world map, Demon's Crest features a huge 3D open world that you fly around, brought to life via the SNES's Mode 7 technology.

The art direction and music are superb, and the whole thing just feels very cohesive and draws you in a way most game even today don't manage to do.

I've only played about a hour and half but I am seriously impressed so far.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 January 2019

Around the Network

Couldn't help but notice on the software week ending the 24th MK8D did almost 500k despite being this long after release and having over 10m in sales, those are numbers that some notable games only get on release week and makes me wonder if the legs on the game are that strong to still be pulling those numbers off could we see a LT of over 20m or maybe another 30m entry given how long the NS' life could be.

Wyrdness said:
Couldn't help but notice on the software week ending the 24th MK8D did almost 500k despite being this long after release and having over 10m in sales, those are numbers that some notable games only get on release week and makes me wonder if the legs on the game are that strong to still be pulling those numbers off could we see a LT of over 20m or maybe another 30m entry given how long the NS' life could be.

Mario Kart 7 launched in early December 2011 and at the end of March 2015 (40 months) it had shipped 11.70 million

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launched in late April 2017 and at the end of Sept 2018 (17 months) it had shipped 11.71 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:

Mario Kart 7 launched in early December 2011 and at the end of March 2015 (40 months) it had shipped 11.70 million

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launched in late April 2017 and at the end of Sept 2018 (17 months) it had shipped 11.71 million

Essentially 20m barrier being broken seems to be a certain with the possibility of LT sales even being the series best.

Wyrdness said:
zorg1000 said:

Essentially 20m barrier being broken seems to be a certain with the possibility of LT sales even being the series best.

I don't see it reaching Wii numbers but it will comfortably be the 2nd best.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

The Prediction League for 2019 is open! All interested come by and predict for the first batch of 2019 releases here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238881

Nice mock up.

Wyrdness said:

Nice mock up.

The king of re re makes. 

I can't wait for the re re re make 

Wyrdness said:

Nice mock up.

I would take this over a re-make of Gen IV honestly.. not a huge fan of Diamond & Pearl.

Nintendo Switch eShop Best-Sellers as of 1/5/19

# North America Europe Japan
1 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2 Bouncy Bob Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Together! The Battle Cats
3 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4 Rocket League Minecraft Human Fall Flat
5 Hollow Knight Crash N-Sane Trilogy Super Mario Party
6 Just Dance 2019 Sonic the Hedgehog Dragon Quest Builders 2
7 Super Mario Party Grim Fandango Remastered Octopath Travelers
8 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Stardew Valley Hollow Knight
9 Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Super Mario Party Minecraft
10 The Way Remastered Rocket League Overcooked! 2
11 Stardew Valley Octopath Traveler Diablo III  Eternal Collection (NEW)
12 Overcooked! 2 Into the Breach Splatoon 2
13 Minecraft Overcooked! 2 Minna de Kuuki Yomi
14 Super Mario Odyssey Sid Meier's Civilization VI Ultimate Chicken Horse
15 Astro Bears Party FIFA 19 Katamari Damacy Reroll