By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think SNESSuper Famicom Mini is a rip off. Why I suggest not buying.

I don't think it's a ripoff, I also don't think I would use it more than once or twice. It kinda suits me that supply will be low like the nes mini so that I don't impulse buy one. Got enough gaming stuff clutter! My memories of playing those games is enough. It won't turn me back into a kid playing snes with my little nephews and nieces in the attic on a lazy Sunday.

I might buy a few of those games on Switch VC to see if I can get my kids interested in the old stuff.

Around the Network

The hardware alone make it worth the price. two controllers and a console? Do you know how much Nintendo charges for a controller? Enough...

Then lets get to the virtual console price of all those games.. 8 dollars a piece....

Your entire argument blows up with that piece of information. The exact opposite is true. Nintendo is offering one HELL of a deal here.

niceguygameplayer said:

OK, we have 21 games. One is new: Star Fox 2. These are nearly all high quality games in my opinion. I like the list for the most part. I would consider buying it for myself, however, there are a few reasons I've decided not to even try. Here are my reasons:

1. High price. With only 21 games, $80 is too much. Other similar collections come in at a far lower price. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (not just Sonic games; should have been called Sega's Ultimate Genesis Collection) came with 49 games for $30! That is true value. This fantastic collection comes with mostly Sega Genesis classics, but also a few Sega arcade games and Master System games. These are not a bunch of crap games. Most are true classics. To name a few: Phantasy Star 1-4, Streets of Rage 1-3, Shinobi 3 and arcade, Golden Axe 1-3, Shining Force 1 and 2, Space Harrier arcade, Sonic 1-3, Columns, and Comix Zone. Plus, there are developer interviews, trophies, facts about each game, etc. I doubt the Mini will have any special extras. 

Also, there are $20 collections like 2 Capcom collections with around 20 games each. A Neo Geo collection with about 20 games for $20. And there are more similar collections. So, as you can see, $80 for 21 games is outrageous. 

2. Game selection. They could have done a little better. 25-30 games would have been nice. Why not Chrono Trigger, Actraiser 1 and 2, Axelay, Super Star Wars games, and most of all, Final Fantasy 2 (4).

3. Supply. Nintendo has disappointed many with discontinuing the first Mini. Many still want one, but can't get it. Instead of continuing to stock a popular item until demand is met, they axed it. That does not even make businesses sense. It seems they will repeat this again only committing to a few months of supplying the new Mini. Scalpers are already taking advantage as last time. Many will have to pay much higher than $80 for one. This will cause stress and anxiety for those that want one, but worry that they can't, because Nintendo doesn't want to meet demand. So, if they don't want my money enough, then fine. 

Unless having Star Fox 2 is important to you, I suggest avoiding this collection. 

If it was just software i would agree. But you get a little SNES, which holds sentimental, AND collectors value, given the sale timeframe. The $80 value comes from the form factor. (and also, SNES consoles go for around 80 dollars online anyways.)

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

I think your comment has merit, but there are things to consider.

The system I believe is coming with 2 controllers, which I think is great, going with the price.

2nd, it is cheaper to get this rather than buying them individually on a VC, especially for people who've never played them.

3rd, the games on here are just huge. While a bit lacking compared to the NES mini, this is still a worthwhile compilation of games on one lil device.

There's also a possible matter of, if you can just hack in more games for it, all these other concerns become somewhat moot.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Game collections discs are different than a system that has a game collection on it. Emulators and using pirated games shouldn't be considered in a price of a system. If not every game should be near free with the limitless amount of ways to get pirated games even for today's hardware, although those systems will get banned really fast.

This is both a collectors piece, as well as nostalgia piece using classic looking SNES controllers with updated components to easily connect to the hd screens of today. The reason why a cap was put on the amount of games in the SNES classic is because it has many third party games that require licenses and in some cases still go for a bit of change even in digital form (Secret of Mana on Mobile is $15 for example). It's easy for a Capcom and/or Sega to release huge collections because in most cases they are the publisher/developer of the games that were featured meaning they likely don't need to pay a license for most if not all the games features in their collections.

Around the Network

How about you just not buy it since it doesn't appeal to you and not worry about what other folks spend their money on and keep your suggestions to yourself?

vivster said:
Zach808 said:

That's like saying buying groceries is a ripoff because you can just rob the store.  Everything is a ripoff if you're used to getting everything for free.

A more accurate analogy would be self grown food for free. Data multiplication isn't the same as robbery.

No, not even close, and this shouldn't have to be explained to you in 2017, but oh well.  Tomatoes, basil, apples, etc, are not intellectual properties.  You aren't infringing on Green Giant's property and rights by growing your own tomatoes in your backyard instead of buying their product at the grocery store.  That you think copying a developer's digital code is no different than growing your own oranges is baffling. 

"Actually, you're only going to download an emulator and some games for you own amusement. That's OK, right?

No, not really. What you've done here is piracy." 

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/are-game-emulators-legal-1329264

potato_hamster said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Sure it is. The company put the hard work into creating something and you take a copy of it without paying. It's no different than if you photocopied a book or took a video camera into a movie theater, you have no right to that data regardless of whether the original remains untouched. Taking something that doesn't belong to you is the definition of stealing.

... but you're literally not taking anything in any of those examples.

Aren't you taking the data that you haven't paid it for? What's the difference to software piracy?

haqqaton said:
potato_hamster said:

Aren't you taking the data that you haven't paid it for? What's the difference to software piracy?

Agree, anything that you take for free when their is actually a cost up front is considered "piracy" at least in media. 

Piracy may not be something that law enforcement really enforces (outside of the bigwigs like what happened to Napster back in the day). But it is essentially breaking a law.

If you bring a camera and record a movie even if you spend money to watch the movie in the theatre, then decide to even keep it for yourself for your own pleasure or distribute it online, you are making the studio that produced the movie lose revenue due to a loss of a customer(s) either from the original theatre showings or the distribution through DVD/Bluray/etc. Which is what piracy really is. Same with any other type of media like books,  music, games, etc. You are copying the data that you yourself didn't originally produce or create.

Growing your own fruit/vegetables would make you a producer therefore not stealing anything. Even if its a one-for-one recreation like with fan adaptations of movies, or covers for a song, that isn't considered piracy since you are being a producer of that creation, although you may get sued/fined if you don't thank or get permission from the original creators.

haqqaton said:
potato_hamster said:

No, you're copying the data. Npthing is being taken.