By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think SNESSuper Famicom Mini is a rip off. Why I suggest not buying.

I miss DKC 2 and 3, chrono trigger, top gear, super star soccer, mario all stars, nba jam and a few others
but even though, the value seems pretty good. it comes with the best games(they are 7$ in a virtual console, 20 times could be 140$), a new release, a hardware and 2 controllers. How much would cost only the 2 controllers?
Also, They said this time they would make more units than mini NES. And this point, find one for 80$ makes it more valuable, so it is not a reason not to buy, but a better reason to buy(at 80$)

Around the Network
psychicscubadiver said:
vivster said:

A more accurate analogy would be self grown food for free. Data multiplication isn't the same as robbery.

Sure it is. The company put the hard work into creating something and you take a copy of it without paying. It's no different than if you photocopied a book or took a video camera into a movie theater, you have no right to that data regardless of whether the original remains untouched. Taking something that doesn't belong to you is the definition of stealing.

... but you're literally not taking anything in any of those examples.

potato_hamster said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Sure it is. The company put the hard work into creating something and you take a copy of it without paying. It's no different than if you photocopied a book or took a video camera into a movie theater, you have no right to that data regardless of whether the original remains untouched. Taking something that doesn't belong to you is the definition of stealing.

You are taking a copy of their data in each of them. Data that doesn't belong to you.

For once, I actually agree with the OP.

No one should buy this thing. If you see it in stores or online, don't buy it! 

It raises the odds I'll be able to find and buy one.

psychicscubadiver said:
potato_hamster said:

You are taking a copy of their data in each of them. Data that doesn't belong to you.

You're making a copy, not taking a copy. It's copyright infringement, not theft.

Around the Network

I never owned a SNES, and currently SNES games through Virtual Console cost £5-£8. A SNES Mini reduces that to £3.33 per game, and even that cost ignores the fact I'm getting a beautiful mini version of the SNES with two controllers.

On top of that, if I really want, I could (within a few months of launch) probably add every SNES game onto the system, once someone cracks it.

Zach808 said:
vivster said:
Of course it's a ripoff. You can get an emulator and all of the games and more on the internet for free! You can even put a random piece of plastic on your desk to keep the illusion.

That's like saying buying groceries is a ripoff because you can just rob the store.  Everything is a ripoff if you're used to getting everything for free.

Bingo, but I see people are still trying to excuse piracy as anything other than theft. There's no point in debating people like that :)

To the OP, if you add up the 21 games you get in cost to buy them now, it would be way more than $80. Maybe you're not interested in the product, but that doesn't make it a "ripoff". Comparing it to cheap knockoff third party products or piracy in other people's cases doesn't cut it either.

Good thing is that if OP doesn't buy it, there's one more unit in the market for someone else to get.

potato_hamster said:
psychicscubadiver said:

You're making a copy, not taking a copy. It's copyright infringement, not theft.

Shrug. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. It's well and good if that assuages your conscience, but you still have something you have no right to own. Something that belongs to someone else.

psychicscubadiver said:
potato_hamster said:

Shrug. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. It's well and good if that assuages your conscience, but you still have something you have no right to own. Something that belongs to someone else.

There is actually two clearly defined legal differences between the two. It's actually not a matter of possessing copyrighted material. It's not illegal to own material that was acquired via copyright infringement, it's the copyright infringement itself that is the crime.

If you want to oversimplify something in your mind and be willfully ignoranty about it, that's your choice.