By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good example of why Sony Consoles always succeed.

That's one reason why they always win. They have first second and third party exclusives which Microsoft every gen lacks. They have the third party nintnedo lacks. They have the best of both worlds plus they push multimedia and multimedia enthusiasts buy the console the get the cheapest model at launch. This happened with DVD and blu ray.

Around the Network

Just to debunk this post. Games of the year based on general consensus (http://www.gamerankings.com/) and sales (http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2017/Global/):

Review scores:
2006 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (94.58%)
2007 - Super Mario Galaxy (97.64%)
2008 - Grand Theft Auto IV (97.04%)
2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (96.43%)
2010 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97.35%)
2011 - Batman: Arkham City (95.94%)
2012 - Persona 4 Golden (94.16%)
2013 - Grand Theft Auto V (97.01%)
2014 - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (92.39%)
2015 - Undertale (94.11%)
2016 - INSIDE (92.81%)
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (97.28%)

Sales:
2006 -New Super Mario Bros. (DS) - 8,001,240
2007 - Wii Sports (Wii) - 14,794,664 (#2 was Pokemon Diamond, highest ranked Sony game was Motorstorm, only ranked 17th)
2008 - Wii Sports (Wii) - 21,842,013 (#2 was Mario Kart Wii, GTA 4 ranked 7th place was the highest Sony game)
2009 - Wii Sports (Wii) - 18,788,738 (#2 was Wii Sports Resort, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 was Sony's highest at #8)
2010 - Wii Sports (Wii) - 15,218,276 (#2 was Wii Sports Resort again, Call of Duty again for Sony at #5)
2011 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360) - 12,561,893
2012 - Call of Duty: Black Ops II (X360) - 10,425,836
2013 - Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) - 16,894,054
2014 - Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (3DS) - 7,527,047
2015 - Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (PS4) - 10,556,687
2016 - Pokemon Sun/Moon (3DS) - 12,028,382
2017 - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) - 2,875,704 (Zelda will be #1 on the next update or two, since Horizon is done selling, and Zelda, currently at 2,837,078, is catching up quickly as it continues to sell as Switch sells).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

mZuzek said:
Kai_Mao said:

I mean, people are still talking about BoTW and praising it so there's merit

People are also still talking about Skyrim and praising it yet that game was always extremely overrated.

goodbye

But I think you get my point. People can say overhype or overrated and what not. And for BoTW's case, despite competing against games like Horizon, Persona, Nier, etc., were still talking about how BoTW nailed the exploration feeling in open world games that apparently very few have matched, especially considering we're in an era that has an abundance of open world games. How it creates that sense of wonder and adventure with the physics it provides and little hand holding or direction it implements.

Sony succeeds beacause it life or death for them ps4 is the only profitable division

Cyberworld7 said:
Sony succeeds beacause it life or death for them ps4 is the only profitable division

Sony succeeds because their approach to gaming always worked the second they landed in the industry. There was no successful multimedia focused console on sonys level before their entrance. They expanded the market to tech enthusiasts and exposed console gaming to PC where with sega and Nintendo most people in the 90s didn't even consider consoles an option. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony succeeds because their approach to gaming always worked the second they landed in the industry.

To be fair, not always; PS3's early years and the Vita were disatrous.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony succeeds because their approach to gaming always worked the second they landed in the industry.

Half true for sure. Sony botched PS3 launch that to save blu ray and was prepared to deal with the bleeding. They were soaking up the profits from the ps2  until they made profit off of the PS3 in 2010. I'll give you the vita though. The PS3 was a self inflicted wound created by Sony and Microsoft likened themselves so much to Sony that they could pick up where Sony dropped the ball.  Funny enough, Sony still outsold the 360s first year sales at $600. That tells you something.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Half true for sure. Sony botched PS3 launch that to save blu ray and was prepared to deal with the bleeding. They were soaking up the profits from the ps2  until they made profit off of the PS3 in 2010. I'll give you the vita though. The PS3 was a self inflicted wound created by Sony and Microsoft likened themselves so much to Sony that they could pick up where Sony dropped the ball.  Funny enough, Sony still outsold the 360s first year sales at $600. That tells you something.

I feel like with the PS3 Sony lost sight of what made them popular in the past by trying too hard to be a high-end luxury piece of tech instead of being an accessible mainstream device like PS1, PS2, and for that matter PS4. That kind of left them vulnerable to the Wii in particular which was able to scoop up a lot of the PS2's casual base.

Sprash said:
playstation is the best platform to play games on.

Damn straight. No wonder Playstation has won 3/4 gens. 

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I feel like with the PS3 Sony lost sight of what made them popular in the past by trying too hard to be a high-end luxury piece of tech instead of being an accessible mainstream device like PS1, PS2, and for that matter PS4. That kind of left them vulnerable to the Wii in particular which was able to scoop up a lot of the PS2's casual base.

They had to save blu ray or else the venture would've been a failure. Yes, I'll agree they came off like a bunch off snobs.later on I read up on it and understood their position because Sony has a track record of influencing playback formats  formats inside and outside the gaming industry. I went on the 360 and was apart of he Wii60 group. Remember that? (Lol)once uncharted 2 came out I jumped on the PS3 and fell in love with Sony all over again. This one their first party got stronger.

the Wii didn't scoop up the ps2 casual base though (or well even a substantial amount). That was a new market of casuals who don't traditionally game on consoles. If you look at the PS3 and 360s lifetime sales Microsoft capitalized on sonys mistakes by shaving off half of their previous market share. They both had over 160+ million consoles between them which was what the ps2 sold. The reason people noticed nintnendos market wasn't traditional was because hardcore third party games found it hard to make major profit off of a 100 million selling platform and Nintendos first party was selling brilliantly. I was happy for them.