By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A little milestone that people have not noticed - the PS4 has outsold the NES

Pyro as Bill said:
It'd be more impressive if NES Classic hadn't been the most wanted console for the past 12 months.

What an incredibly terrible comment. I assume you're baiting, because if you're not, you must fall down a lot.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

When you consider the market difference between 1985 and 2013, it's not really that impressive. It's like comparing revenue for movies and not adjusting for inflation. The NES selling 60 million units in the climate it launched in is like the PS4 selling 300 million units.

That's a hell of a spin. When you consider that Nintendo themselves couldn't pass this number with their other home consoles, the Wii being the only exception, it's impressive.

I'd understand the downplay if PS4's final numbers were 60 million, but it's still selling at a very fast rate and will probably end up in the top 3 best selling home consoles

Of course today's market is way bigger but it's not like any console that Nintendo has released has reached 60 million. Hell, 3ds is considered succesful and it won't end much higher

COKTOE said:
Pyro as Bill said:
It'd be more impressive if NES Classic hadn't been the most wanted console for the past 12 months.

What an incredibly terrible comment. I assume you're baiting, because if you're not, you must fall down a lot.

I think it's probably just best to ignore his post, because nothing good can come out of it

VGPolyglot said:
COKTOE said:

I think it's probably just best to ignore his post, because nothing good can come out of it

You are correct of course.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
naruball said:
monocle_layton said:
People don't care, most likely because we expect it to surpass the Wii. We'll certainly celebrate when it does

Will "we", though? I expect even people who said that it stands no chance and that it was front loaded to downplay it and say it only did so because Nintendo and MS fucked up. Guess we'll see.

Screwups aren't Sony's faults. Their success is rightfully deserved

TheBlackNaruto said:

Why would that make it more impressive?

COKTOE said:

VGPolyglot said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's kinda funny that in the period leading up to PS4 outselling the NES, the only console that managed to match/surpass PS4 sales was.......the NES?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Why would that make it more impressive?

COKTOE said:

VGPolyglot said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's kinda funny that in the period leading up to PS4 outselling the NES, the only console that managed to match/surpass PS4 sales was.......the NES?

$60 is a very enticing price.

VGPolyglot said:
Pyro as Bill said:

$60 is a very enticing price.

And a £200 PS4 would have been about £75 thirty years ago. Full price games today are only £15 compared to 1987's £40. Take into account the increase in average wage and gaming's never been cheaper.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Qwark said:

So if 60 million isn't impressive what kind of ultra fails might the Xone, Wii U and Vita be. I would say anything above 50 million in today's marker is impressive but appearently that's mediocre at best.

That's just the thing. It's a milestone for sonys handhelds. For their actual home console perspective, Sony has a track record of selling multiples of nintnedo at times.