By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I am not participating in mid-gen refreshes this gen.

I upgraded to the Pro as a 1080p user. Its not only about graphics/performance but also console fan noise that is improved, the Pro is a lot less noisy than the original PS4 while playing AAA games. If you would have bought a slim version last gen for PS360 the PS4 Pro is just as much as a considiration to upgrade imo, the only difference is that you also get better performance in visuals and frames.

Around the Network

4k is a pipe dream, firstly technically it is 2k, 4k is used as a marketing trick, second there won't be games with 3d grafix that are native 2k for years still.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

My reason for upgrading my PS4 was pretty easy. My older son is in college so I sold him my PS4 for 75 bucks and used that money to purchase the Pro. I will upgrade my X1 and make my younger son work for it as he plays minecraft and gets in my way when I want to game. I have a 4K TV and I want to sample some 4K UHD movies with the X1X. Anyway I saved up my money from my birthday last year and this year so the X1 is already paid for just need November to come.

I do believe Sony skimped on the PS4 Pro but it does it's job very well for for enhanced 4K games.

vivster said:
tldr; I don't have money

? I thought you wanted OPs to be more like this?

But in any case, I don't have the money to buy the mid-gen upgrades myself. I also don't even haev a 4K TV, so the main selling feature is not applicable to me. I'd much rather just buy games, instead of buying consoles to play games that I can already play on the console I have.

I was going to get the ps4 pro because of the psvr but still waiting for a library of games to justify the psvr which again would make me more motivated to get a ps4 pro. Was going to get a Switch but nothing really appeals enough until Mario Odyssey and even then I'd need a few more games to justify the purchase. With xbox one X its even harder to justify as my xbox one gets lighter use than ps4 and its a more expensive upgrade so will stick with my standard xbox one.

At the moment I'm happy to game on my pc, android devices, wii u, ps3, ps4/vita and xbox one most of the time. Too many games on old systems I haven't even started yet. As you get older you start seeing repeating patterns in tv, movies and games and fresh new ideas are harder to find and often its better to play an old great game than an ok new one.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:
tldr; I don't have money

? I thought you wanted OPs to be more like this?

But in any case, I don't have the money to buy the mid-gen upgrades myself. I also don't even haev a 4K TV, so the main selling feature is not applicable to me. I'd much rather just buy games, instead of buying consoles to play games that I can already play on the console I have.

Trying to spread out a single argument over multiple paragraphs isn't the goal. It's preferable to have more than one argument. A few more for this case could be:

- I hate progress

- I don't like the negative environmental impact

- one iteration isn't enough to provide enough choice

- my neighbor gave me concussion because the updated console is heavier

etc.

All valid arguments that cannot be boiled down into a single sentence. This OP however can. It actually started great by mentioning competition and product saturation but those never developed into an argument.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

it's an optional upgrade.

So there you go, you weigh your options, and kept your previous model. I don't understand why you're almost apologetic about your decision.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Its pretty cheap to upgrade considering that you can sell your current hardware and then the upgrade is much cheaper.

But not doing it is also a choice, which is good to have choice.

I don't have a 4K TV or PSVR so don't feel the need to upgrade, I'll probably wait until PS5.

What really gets me with these mid-gen upgrades is that when the PS5 does come, I'll be hesitant to be it right away because I'll be wondering if a better version is just around the corner.

Signature goes here!

I'm passing on the Pro because it's a very small upgrade that for the most part doesn't benefit the 1080p experience. I'm buying Scorpio because it improves all games on the platform, and improves the 1080p experience for every game that utilizes the extra horsepower. One of my kids broke my 4k TV awhile back, so I probably won't invest a lot of money in another one. But there are lots of great budget 4k TVs now. The new TCL is getting pretty amazing buzz and it's like $550.

But I'm glad companies are finally starting to utilize the midngen refresh for something other than smaller consoles.

I bought a PS4 pro because there are some games running like shit (25 fps is shit to me) and I thought "Hey, at least we will have stability" which is true most of the time and that's why I'm ok with it. Also, it looks sexy on my cheap 4k monitor. Gaming is my number one priority when it comes to entertainment so yeah... justified.