By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Predict PS4 Sales Every Year Going Forward

Shadow1980 said:

Thats not a very optimistic prediction but even that is like 112-115m.

Its a sharper drop off than I think it ll end up haveing.

Though alot of that depends on if sony are going to do a 7nm die shrink "super slim" PS4 for 149$.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
BluGamer23 said:
Cant believe what Im reading here.. you guys really expecting it to get close to 100m in its life time?.. lol

PS3 got to 87m. Everything still points to PS4 selling significantly better.
PS4 had it's best first 6 months this year, in fact.

We re not yet 6months (come & gone) into the year :)

Anyways doing 7m+ in 5months is pretty sweet.

Kyuu said:

MS and Nintendo are no longer competing directly with Sony. I don't see either of them pushing Sony to rush PS5.

Not competing directly? Indirectly then? Isn't that competition nonetheless?

They're not in the position to make them do hasty launch moves to begin with. Sony ain't Sega and this isn't the nineties.

Hunting Season is done...

I think next year could sell bigger than this year. God of war, and Spiderman will be mega mainstream hits. (Maybe TLOU Part 2 but I'm thinking 2019.)

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

BluGamer23 said:
Cant believe what Im reading here.. you guys really expecting it to get close to 100m in its life time?.. lol

Bookmarked.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Shipped numbaz

Jan 2018: 73M
Jan 2019: 89M
Jan 2020: 102M
Jan 2021: ~110M

It's gonna tank hard after the PS5 is announced around Q2/E3 2020, kinda PS360 severe level of tank. Still hope to see it crawl to 115-117M.

PS4 has a very nice line up for the next 2.5 years, 2020 might be a bit barren tho, I do see some sequels to Nier and Nioh, but nothing major from Sony, prolly launch with a much bigger 1st party impact this time.

Shadow1980 said:

2016's numbers should be 19.4M.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
LethalP said:

No where near it. Closer to 140 million.

People seem to forget that Sonys keeps their consoles selling for ten years (and not just six to seven years). Its even sadder that the dont know this on a sales site.  It will pass...

" People seem to forget" .. tell me what happened to the ps3 again.. did that reach 100m?.. its even made it to 11 years lmao =)

More 3 years selling between 15 and 20 million.
Maybe 19 this year, 18 next, 16 next.(108 total)
Cheaper Slimmer ps4 and pro slim somewhere in these years.
Then(2020) ps5 will be announced and launch 2020 or 2021. It would sell still 20 million after that in the following years.
Id stick with 128 million total.

Shadow1980 said:
Lawlight said:

2016's numbers should be 19.4M.

No. It's 17.5M. Actual LTD sales at the end of 2015 were at 35.9M, while sales at the end of 2016 were at 53.4M. 53.4 - 35.9 = 17.5.

JRPGfan said:

Thats not a very optimistic prediction but even that is like 112-115m.

Its a sharper drop off than I think it ll end up haveing.

Though alot of that depends on if sony are going to do a 7nm die shrink "super slim" PS4 for 149$.

My median projections have the PS4 in the 100-110M range, probably towards the higher end, and assume a Nov. 2020 release date for the PS5. Optimistically, I think it could hit 120M, but that could depend on having very strong legs. Assuming my estimates for 2017 come true, the PS4 will be sitting at 72.4M units globally. That's a very high number to be sitting at for a system that appears to be peaking. No other system has ever sold that much before peaking. The PS3 & 360 were both over 60M when they finally passed their peaks, and that was a record, and was largely due to them having very belated peaks (fifth and sixth full year, respectively). Sony is running out of people to sell PS4s to, and sooner or later, probably sooner, the PS4 is going to be entering the terminal decline phase of its sales life. With the PS4 not having nearly the market share the PS2 did in the U.S., trailing behind the PS2 in Europe (probably due to the UK market being competitive), and the Japanese market shrinking, I don't see the PS4 selling anywhere near as well as the PS2. 150+M isn't happening.

Now, it is entirely possible that Sony could try to squeeze the PS4 for all its worth to try to extend its legs while putting off the PS5 as long as possible. The rate of tech advancement is slowing down, so Sony & MS have an incentive to extend a console generation as long as possible in order to allow the tech to advance more and make the generational leap more pronounced (I think last gen was as long as it was on purpose; imagine how weak the PS4 & XBO would have been if they were launched in 2010-11). They could keep going for deep sub-$199 discounts into 2019 and beyond, which could get them a good bit above 120M, maybe even reaching 130M. But at some point in a system's life, no amount of price cutting will help improve sales. Eventually, they just run out of people who are willing to buy a current-gen system.

Nopes, it's still 19.4M. Shipment numbers are the actual numbers that matters. If you disagree then I suppose you never discuss 3DS sales since it's sales numbers were never released.