By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Predict PS4 Sales Every Year Going Forward

Cyberworld7 said:
I don't think ps4 will reach 100million units I think ps5 will come out in 2018 and clause sale for the ps4 to decline

Its already at 60 million in four years. By 2018 it will be well over 70 million. The PS4 will track well over what the PS3 and 360 did last gen. A return to natural dominant form.....as if it itwasnt the norm when sony does well. It will reach 100 million by 2020 if Sony keeps the platform fresh with new experiences. The games sell the platform.

Around the Network
BluGamer23 said:
Cant believe what Im reading here.. you guys really expecting it to get close to 100m in its life time?.. lol

No where near it. Closer to 140 million.

LethalP said:
BluGamer23 said:
Cant believe what Im reading here.. you guys really expecting it to get close to 100m in its life time?.. lol

People seem to forget that Sonys keeps their consoles selling for ten years (and not just six to seven years). Its even sadder that the dont know this on a sales site.  It will pass...

Sony predicts 78M by March 2018. I think they are just using a number they 100% know they can achieve, hence them already using 78M in their PR. I think that's low balling it, and a $199 Slim and $349 Pro will help push it to 80M. But, for now, I'll go with 78M.

Next year, we'll have a full year of a $199 Slim and later a $299 Pro, possibly a Pro Slim. I think that'll help them hit 96M by March 2019. I fully expect PS5 in 2019, but the PS4 should still be able to pull off 110M by March 2020. 120M by March 2021. I think from here the PS4 is basically done and may sell 125M in the end.

zorg1000 said:
LethalP said:

And why did it have such a comeback? Because it dropped to $299. In the same time frame PS4 should be $100 cheaper and of course have more dominant momentum to boot. We'll see though. I just don't see people suddenly buying drastically less PS4's when there's nothing else of any note to really take it's place. Since the X1 isn't picking up that momentum any time soon.

PS3 didnt have a sudden comeback, it slowly gained momentum from decreasing price & improved library, services, marketing, revisions, etc.

none of these things are/were an issue for PS4 at any give time so they will not have the same affect as they did for PS3.

Last I checked, the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360's first year even at $600 (yes...a console that launched at $399). It just didnt cover enough sales to quickly surpass all sales. If the PS3 had launched at $399 at launch the 360 would've been surpassed far earlier because the audience perception of Sony would never have been affected. Analysts projected that Sony would slowly eat away at Microsofts lead by 2011. Because of the Kinect it kept Sony at bay with the casual market in awe of the Kinect after the Wii. Sony kept banging away with exclusives and eventually tied and more than likely surpassed Microsoft worldwide by 2013. This is a first for any brand. Just goes to show how dominant a company can be when it covers all of their ends.

Around the Network
Cyberworld7 said:
I don't think ps4 will reach 100million units I think ps5 will come out in 2018 and clause sale for the ps4 to decline

So, you're not going to post your sales pediction figures?

Mine:

2017: 18M

2018: 15M

2019: 10M

2020: 5M

2021+ : 2M

Total: 107M

S.T.A.G.E. said:
LethalP said:

People seem to forget that Sonys keeps their consoles selling for ten years (and not just six to seven years). Its even sadder that the dont know this on a sales site.  It will pass...

Even still people say that's why Sony's consoles sell so much. Yet they blindly ignore the fact that 1) The 360 sold for 10+ years but didn't sell 100+ million, 2) The PS2 reached 100 million in less than 6 years, and 3) The Wii was nearly dead before the WiiU released so it wouldn't even survive 10 years.

It's always Nintendo fanboys doing the downplaying, without fail.

Eh let me do shipments by fiscal year.

March 2018 - 78m
March 2019 - 92m
March 2020 - 104m
March 2021 - 112m

S.T.A.G.E. said:

People seem to forget that Sonys keeps their consoles selling for ten years

Luckily my signature should spread awareness of this issue.

BluGamer23 said:

Their forecast is easy to reach numbers.

Thats 78m by march 2018.

They like to "beat" numbers and go "who knows why it does so well" as PR.

So next year in march, it might be at 80m shipped.

Thats only 20m off from the 100m "lifetime" goal, you dont think it will reach.

March 2019, it should be around 96-97m or so shipped.

Then around the holidays of 2019, it should go over 100m.

That still leaves it another good year, before the Playstation 5 launches (in 2020 holidays).

I was worried before Xbox One X was shown this e3, and before knowing how the switch would effect sales (it doesnt appear to have).

I think PS4 ends up around 120-130m lifetime.