By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where is Retro Studios?

Developing a New IP, Eternal Darkness 2 and a reboot of StarTropics.

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
sethnintendo said:
I live near Austin myself. Personally I would love to be a tester for them or hell I'd even clean their toilets.

Didn't used to when I joined this site many years ago, but I live ahour an hour north of Austin now and work in Round Rock. I've been wanting to visit Retro for some time now just to have been there.

That's cool.  I actually have a house in Round Rock.  Maybe someday you can roll through and we can fire up some burgers and play some games.

sethnintendo said:
thetonestarr said:

Didn't used to when I joined this site many years ago, but I live ahour an hour north of Austin now and work in Round Rock. I've been wanting to visit Retro for some time now just to have been there.

That's cool.  I actually have a house in Round Rock.  Maybe someday you can roll through and we can fire up some burgers and play some games.

You know, that'd be pretty cool.

I live up in Killeen at the moment - a few years after joining VGC, when the economy crashed, I joined the Army and they stationed me at Ft Hood. Got out last year, working for Dell now.

My wife and I plan on moving down closer to my job eventually - if I don't get approved for full-time remote work - and there are a few neighborhoods in Round Rock that I absolutely love.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Metroid Prime Federation DX for Nintendo Switch

zorg1000 said:
palou said:

Usually, their devloppement cycle is less than 3 years

Metroid Prime 3-Aug 2007

DKC Returns-Nov 2010

DKC Tropical Freeze-Feb 2014

Thats over 3 years between each game.

For releases, yes. We've always know about their next project before now in the cycle, though. Logically we'll still have a wait for the game after it finally is announced.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
zorg1000 said:

Metroid Prime 3-Aug 2007

DKC Returns-Nov 2010

DKC Tropical Freeze-Feb 2014

Thats over 3 years between each game.

For releases, yes. We've always know about their next project before now in the cycle, though. Logically we'll still have a wait for the game after it finally is announced.

for sure this one is taking longer than usual, i was just pointing out that they dont typically have a sub 3 year dev cycle like the OP said.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
StuOhQ said:

for sure this one is taking longer than usual, i was just pointing out that they dont typically have a sub 3 year dev cycle like the OP said.

They had smaller projects in between, though - the metroid prime trilogy, putting DKCR on 3DS, as well as helping out other studios on occasion.

Thanks, anyaways, I corrected the op.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

I'm starting to suspect they've been reduced to just helping out with other people's games like Monolith's Kyoto studio rather than making games of their own any more.

Don't forget that Retro also hired a bunch of new people like ... was it 2 years ago? 3 maybe?

I remember specifically that Miyamoto said in an interview that due to the expansion, Retro is now big enough to work on 2 games simultaneously.

Yet, here we are, knowing 0. :(

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Don't forget that Retro also hired a bunch of new people like ... was it 2 years ago? 3 maybe?

I remember specifically that Miyamoto said in an interview that due to the expansion, Retro is now big enough to work on 2 games simultaneously.

Yet, here we are, knowing 0. :(

I wonder how many people Retro actually has because they always seem to bleed employees after each project ever since  the people who worked on Metroid Prime left.  It's like the hiring spree they're going through is more to replenish lost staff rather than to actually expand.