By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo market cap hits 5tn yen.

Lawlight said:
SpokenTruth said:

Tell us how much Sony's game division market cap is worth.   I mean this is a thread discussing market cap, you didn't like Sony losing so you bring in a totally different set of goal posts.

Sony's market cap is still higher than Nintendo's on the US stock exchange.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure it isn't

Around the Network

Very nice. It's good to see a gaming company only doing as well as multi business companies.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Man. People need to learn what market cap is.

Market cap is the value of a company's outstanding shares.

It doesn't have anything to do with revenue or profit as is being argued above.

It's just one way of measuring the value of the company. This metric is based on investor confidence.

You measure the performance of a company using various metrics. Each metric will provide different results.

Anyway, keeping on topic- Nintendo's smartphone strategy + success of Switch are some of the notable reasons contributing to Nintendo's high share price right now. Next few years should be great for the company if they can capitalise on this. 

ZhugeEX said:

Man. People need to learn what market cap is.

Market cap is the value of a company's outstanding shares.

It doesn't have anything to do with revenue or profit as is being argued above.

It's just one way of measuring the value of the company. This metric is based on investor confidence.

You measure the performance of a company using various metrics. Each metric will provide different results.

Anyway, keeping on topic- Nintendo's smartphone strategy + success of Switch are some of the notable reasons contributing to Nintendo's high share price right now. Next few years should be great for the company if they can capitalise on this. 

If they can levarage their IPs into media, it will be the next bold move that might pay off for them. They just need the right partner, aka not Sony Pictures Animation, like rumors in the past might have suggested. 

Being larger in Japan is pretty impressive. Even without comparisons with other companies, this is good for Nintendo and it is looking a lot better for them

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

If the company's plans to expand their IP and diversify their portfolio (like Iwata seemed to be heading towards with QoL) end up paying off, I can see this trend of expanding market cap continue. The next few years will be interesting.

I was trying to convince friends to buy Nintendo stock (even before the Pokemon Go bump) and now my worst fears have arrived. I missed out on the ride along with my friends.