By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo market cap hits 5tn yen.

In other words - they are both equally worthless

Around the Network
TheWPCTraveler said:
kowenicki said:

revenue is not profit.

IIRC, profit margins off digital sales and PS+ subscriptions are larger than whatever Nintendo makes money off of.

And yet Nintendo made last FY higher profit than hole Sony.

kowenicki said:
Vinther1991 said:

Relatively weak on a global scale certainly and for instance Sony is way down on what they once where. 

Sony used to have a market cap of 130bn. 

Oh wow! What a drop! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
"Nintendo should go third party" MY ASS!

Didn't they already put Pokemon and Mario on mobile?

kowenicki said:
Vinther1991 said:

Relatively weak on a global scale certainly and for instance Sony is way down on what they once where. 

Sony used to have a market cap of 130bn. 

Well not surprising, a lot of the brands that put them that high aren't there anymore or are on life support. I assume this was towards the end of the walkman era, which is when I do believe no section of sony was under performing. 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

IIRC, profit margins off digital sales and PS+ subscriptions are larger than whatever Nintendo makes money off of.

I don't think that's true.

Lawlight said:
Miyamotoo said:

It was, but it was also inflated because of sale of team on Nintendo end. Also Nintendo doesn't have huge holes anymore in like Sony does, with Sony Pictures costing the company a lot. Namely how badly that crappy ghostbusters movie bombed (so thankful that happened). 

Sony has the potiential to be huge global media competitior, but lack synergy and have horrible division heads in some of their departments. 

Lawlight said:
Miyamotoo said:

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q4_sony.pdf

Miyamotoo said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

That is net profit including extraordinary profit (which includes fixed asset sales, of course).

My statement is with regard to the gross profit o f PSN and Nintendo. That means that I am not talking about operating profit, which includes various administrative costs (like marketing, for instance, so this means that I can't talk about opersting profit of PSN alone). Nor am I talking about net profit, which includes extraordinary profits and losses.

I'm not really posing this as a rebuttal to your statement. I'm pointing this out so we both know that we're talking about numbers that are not necessarily comparable. You're talking about net profit, while I'm talking about the gross profit of PSN and Nintendo.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Ka-pi96 said:
Medisti said:

There's lot more to it. Assets the company has, including properties, debt, ventures, and IPs. Sony can make more and be worth less, if that makes any sense.

Sony beats Nintendo in assets/debt too. And by that I mean their assets - debt is higher than Nintendo's, almost double in fact.

Seems to me that either Sony is undervalued, Nintendo overvalued or both. Anybody that invested in Nintendo pre-Switch launch should have made a very nice profit though!

I remember reading that Nintendo doesn't have any debt, and has a huge surplus (It was almost 10 billion US or something crazy like that). Sony does have debt and a lot smaller warchest, which makes them appear like a less stable company to stock investors. Sony definitely makes waaay more money, since they have so many more branches in movies, music, games, etc.