By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Don't Assume Nintendo Will Drop its 3DS/Handheld Line: Here's Why

They will release a mini Switch without removable controllers. Mark my words.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

But I'm literally talking about seperate platforms that are extremely easy to port between.... I'm not talking about a 2DS vs a 3DS. I'm talking about a platform that shares the same arcitectual framework as the Switch, as well as a similar operating system, and that's it.

I don't even know why I bother. You read one thing and literally interpret it to mean the opposite of what's it says.

so whats the point of 2 seperate platforms then? literally all of the things you gave as examples earlier can happen with a revision or happen with the existing model.

i dont know why you bother either because you constantly come up with nonsensical arguments.

So your premise is because they can incorporate most of these features into a Switch, it makes no sense to make a 3DS successor. By that same logic the 3DS itself should not exist, because all of the 3DS's features could "happen with" the DS. All my point was is that there are ways if utilizing the arcitecture and OS of the Switch to make porting games between the Switch and a new platform significantly easier than porting between two platforms has ever been before. In doing so, Nintendo, nor third party developers would have to divide the resources, which would still fall in line with Nintendo merging divisions in order to better support the devices they create. How similar that platform in terms of features and performance such a platform would be to the Switch is up to Nintendo. I don't pretend to know what an ideal portable device that's separate from the Switch would look like or function or how distinct it could be from the Switch itself, just that it's reasonably possible that such a device could exist in the future.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

so whats the point of 2 seperate platforms then? literally all of the things you gave as examples earlier can happen with a revision or happen with the existing model.

i dont know why you bother either because you constantly come up with nonsensical arguments.

So your premise is because they can incorporate most of these features into a Switch, it makes no sense to make a 3DS successor. By that same logic the 3DS itself should not exist, because all of the 3DS's features could "happen with" the DS. All my point was is that there are ways if utilizing the arcitecture and OS of the Switch to make porting games between the Switch and a new platform significantly easier than porting between two platforms has ever been before. In doing so, Nintendo, nor third party developers would have to divide the resources, which would still fall in line with Nintendo merging divisions in order to better support the devices they create. How similar that platform in terms of features and performance such a platform would be to the Switch is up to Nintendo. I don't pretend to know what an ideal portable device that's separate from the Switch would look like or function or how distinct it could be from the Switch itself, just that it's reasonably possible that such a device could exist in the future.

well not really, 3DS is far more powerful than DS so a ton of 3DS games would not have been possible on DS.

on the other hand, is a 3DS successor going to be vastly more powerful than Switch? Probably not, most likely scenario would be somewhere between Vita & Wii U.

Everything you are proposing when it comes to a 3DS successor is just so damn redundant when basically Switch and potential Switch revisions cover everything.

I just dont see how making a seperate system with the same/similar architecture/operating system/hardware power/system features/etc makes any logical sense.

its like the equivalent of Sony releasing a seperate home console that is somewhere between PS4 & PS4 Pro, shares 90% of the same games as PS4, has PS2/PS3 backwards compatibility, lacks PS VR suppprt but has a small selection of exclusive titles that make use of some extra feature.

You would never say such a device has a possibility of releasing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

well not really, 3DS is far more powerful than DS so a ton of 3DS games would not have been possible on DS.

on the other hand, is a 3DS successor going to be vastly more powerful than Switch? Probably not, most likely scenario would be somewhere between Vita & Wii U.

Everything you are proposing when it comes to a 3DS successor is just so damn redundant when basically Switch and potential Switch revisions cover everything.

I just dont see how making a seperate system with the same/similar architecture/operating system/hardware power/system features/etc makes any logical sense.

its like the equivalent of Sony releasing a seperate home console that is somewhere between PS4 & PS4 Pro, shares 90% of the same games as PS4, has PS2/PS3 backwards compatibility, lacks PS VR suppprt but has a small selection of exclusive titles that make use of some extra feature.

How about a truly portable version between a slightly less powerful than a PS4 pro, is easy to port to so it shares 90% of the same games as PS4, has Vita backwards compatibility, lacks PS VR suppprt but has a selection of exclusive titles that make use of some extra feature?

Yeah, Sony might make that some day in the next few years.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

How about a truly portable version between a slightly less powerful than a PS4 pro, is easy to port to so it shares 90% of the same games as PS4, has Vita backwards compatibility, lacks PS VR suppprt but has a selection of exclusive titles that make use of some extra feature?

bolded part kinda confused me

but no, thats not really the same thing. Your Nintendo comparison is 2 seperate devices that both have handheld functionality while your Sony comparison is one device that is solely a home console and one that is solely a handheld.

In order to be a similar scenario as your Nintendo one, the new Sony device would have to be a home console.

Having 2 seperate handhelds with 90% of the same game is redundant, having a seperate home console and handheld with 90% of the same games is not.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

but no, thats not really the same thing. Your Nintendo comparison is 2 seperate devices that both have handheld functionality while your Sony comparison is one device that is solely a home console and one that is solely a handheld.

In order to be a similar scenario as your Nintendo one, the new Sony device would have to be a home console.

Having 2 seperate handhelds with 90% of the same game is redundant, having a seperate home console and handheld with 90% of the same games is not.

Sorry, remove the "between a" and replace it with a "slightly less". The sony portable would be slightly less powerful.

I forgot to mention, like the PSP and Vita, the handheld can be docked and display on a television with additional controller functionality. Apparently that's what it takes to make a "hybrid console" so Sony has already made two one of them.

Edit: Only the Vita dev kits had an HDMI out on them. Forgot that never made it to the production units. Sorry.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Sorry, remove the "between a" and replace it with a "slightly less". The sony portable would be slightly less powerful.

I forgot to mention, like the PSP and Vita, the handheld can be docked and display on a television with additional controller functionality. Apparently that's what it takes to make a "hybrid console" so Sony has already made two one of them.

Edit: Only the Vita dev kits had an HDMI out on them. Forgot that never made it to the production units. Sorry.

Thats still not nearly the same thing.

A PSP3 that is similar in power and shares 90% of its games with PS4 is not redundant because it has the added functionality of being portable.

A 3DS successor that is similar in power and shares 90% of its games with Switch is redundant because the portability aspect is already present.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Thats still not nearly the same thing.

A PSP3 that is similar in power and shares 90% of its games with PS4 is not redundant because it has the added functionality of being portable.

A 3DS successor that is similar in power and shares 90% of its games with Switch is redundant because the portability aspect is already present.

Personally, I don't think a device that is bigger than a Vita and has a battery life of less than two hours is really that portable to begin with. That's just me though. I don't really want to argue over whether or not the Switch is truly a portable or not, so I'll just go by what Nintendo has said on many different occasions.

"Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost."

I'm going to leave it at that.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

It wouldn't be a Switch. A Switch has joy con controllers. This wouldn't. A Switch has gyroscopes and accelorometers. This wouldn't. A Switch has the ability to be connect to your television via a dock and utilize an added performance mode. This wouldn't. A Switch has the ability to connect multiple controllers for local multiplayer. This wouldn't. A Switch plays Switch game carts. This wouldn't. A Switch doesn't play 3DS/DS game carts. This would. There could be other hardware features this console has that the Switch doesn't have, such as multi-handheld internetless multi-player, or control schemes such as a more accurate, multi-capacitive touch screen that developers could develop specifically to utilize if they so choose

It's similar to a Switch but not a Switch. It would be very easy to co-develop for both the Switch and this platform, to develop for the switch and this other platform seperately. It gives both potential consumers and developers more options to buy something that suits their needs.

sounds like the most pointless thing in the world when a simple revision could handle most of these things.

A revision can lack Joy-Cons.

A revision doesnt have to be able to hook up to a TV or have increased performance.

Switch could incorporate DS/3DS backwards compatibility digitally like XBO does with 360 or Wii U does with Wii & DS.

Multi-handheld internetless multiplayer i believe already exists on Switch.

Nintendo cant make a revision without Joy-Cons but they can make a backwards compatible 3DS successor without gyrometer/accelerometers?

Honestly at this point it feels like you are arguing for the sake of argument

This.

Despite it would "co-develop" its would still be seperate platform, Nintendo again would suporting two platforms, not just with games, and with updates and improvements...but with marketing and market push, for developers and for Nintendo itself of course it would be much easier just to continue working on Switch games that will be working on Switch Mini/Pocket or Switch XL (same like like 3DS family and 3DS games), than "co-develop" for onother platform. So why Nintendo would do that when Switch revision could do all thing that are mentione above, so what exactly would be point of separate platform where Nintendo would need to co-develop games, basically makin new lineup for this platform when they just continue releasing games on Switch!? It donest make any sense.

potato_hamster said:

Personally, I don't think a device that is bigger than a Vita and has a battery life of less than two hours is really that portable to begin with. That's just me though.

Less than two hours..  yeah, right!