By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't like the direction Sony is taking

Do you only play narrative games?

Yes 162 39.61%

No 247 60.39%

Total:409
JRPGfan said:
I dont get the vote, why NO is winning.
Sony thinking globaly with game design, so games appeal to more markets... is somehow bad?
Yep who wants them listening to consumers anyways right?

But the poll asks 'Do you only play narrative games?' 

I don't get why so many people voted yes. Am I missing something?

Around the Network

Me neither, I'd rather rely on single player games focused on gameplay than on cheesy cinematic experiences...

At this rate, PS5 might be the first PS console I skip, unfortunately. I'm already preparing for this by building a powerful PC later this year and buying a Switch as a complement.

Hopefully this changes eventually.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Flilix said:
JRPGfan said:
I dont get the vote, why NO is winning.
Sony thinking globaly with game design, so games appeal to more markets... is somehow bad?
Yep who wants them listening to consumers anyways right?

Because of the thread name:

"I don't like the direction Sony is taking".

+ 'Do you only play narrative games?'

=  "do you want Sony to continue makeing narrative focused single player games".

I assumed that was what the "yes or no" answear was for.

JRPGfan said:
Flilix said:

=  "do you want Sony to continue makeing narrative focused single player games".

I voted yes because of the poll question.

But yeah, he's obviously exaggerating this. The OP, combined with the poll question makes it sound like the PS4 will only get narrative games anymore.

I don't like the direction they've taken since 2006, personally. And that goes for the two others as well.

Around the Network
LethalP said:
Same here. It's like all of Sony's studios thought 'if Naughty Dog can do it, so can we', but nah, it doesn't work like that. What you end up getting is Sub-Ubisoft action adventures with nothing new brought to the table. Anyone expecting Days Gone to be anything more than what EA or Ubisoft ship out on an annual basis is to be dissappointed, trust me.

Santa Monica will undoubtedly fail at trying to be as clever as Naughty Dog when it comes to subtext in the characters and stuff like that, in that bracket only Rockstar fly with ND. SM don't have a history with well told stories and good character writing, why should I be excited about this games story? They've fucked with the gameplay and give us Ryse 2, it's insane.

On the other hand Sony's consoles get a whole lot more than their studios stuff, and thank God for that, because the truth of the matter is Sony's studios just aren't that good.

I'm willing to bet by the time this generation is over Sony studios will have the most 90+ rated games on metacritic, and also the most number of new hit IPs. Sony has the best studios in the industry right now by a huge margin.

GOWTLOZ, we disagree a lot (always respectfully, of course), but on this point I agree.

I regret that Sony is making the Naughty Dog model THE model moving forward. During E3, God of War looked like The Norse of Us. Days Gone looked like a TLoU spin-off. For me, the worst parts of games like Uncharted and TLoU are the on-rails, scripted sequences that grant the illusion of player choice but in reality are just a vehicle to tell a story and spark some emotional reaction. The BEST parts of those games are when the developers take a break from self-aggrandizement and actually trust the player to create on his or her own. I'm talking about improvisational combat, open-ended stealth sequences, combat in 360 degrees, etc.

It sounds and looks like Sony wants to push forward on the linear, story-driven parts. This, to me, is a downer. Now, I respect the opinion of those who play games for deep, emotionally-powerful storytelling. I'm glad there are games out there for those folks. But as someone who loves God of War (for its mechanics, not its story) and someone who enjoys parts of Uncharted and TLoU, I selfishly want those games to value the output of the player first and not the output of the script writer or the art director.

JRPGfan said:
Flilix said:

Jim Ryan says he wants to make more games narrative focussed which is what I don't like.

I'm not going to defend them for bringing narrative focussed games just to expand the audience of each game, in some cases that could take away from what the game was all about. That's not for God of War,a s its always been narrative focuessed. Its the other games I'm talking about, like Days Gone.

Flilix said:
JRPGfan said:

But yeah, he's obviously exaggerating this. The OP, combined with the poll question makes it sound like the PS4 will only get narrative games anymore.

I'm only going by what Jim Ryan said in his interview.

So, if I'm reading this right, God of War getting a deeper narrative is the same thing as an effort "to homogenise all of Sony's franchises into The Last of Us like games"?

That's ... quite a jump.

GOWTLOZ said:
Flilix said:

I'm only going by what Jim Ryan said in his interview.

The poll doesn't make much sense. Pretty much everyone plays games that are less narrative focused (some people more than others).

The PS4 will still be getting more than enough games with less story.