By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo communications director indicates that Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon are 2018 titles

robzo100 said:
curl-6 said:

Wait, so you'd want them to wait until the month of release before showing off the game properly? Can't say I'd be a fan of that.

Reveals with gameplay footage 6-12 months out from release work best in my opinion, with a steady dripfeed of new info and footage over the following months to maintain interest. So yeah, Odyssey is a pretty good example of the ideal method in my book.

Yeah, 6months is fine, but 1-2 should be experimented with - we're in an age of mass digital distraction, the dilution of new footage happens at an exceedingly quicker rate. I do liek that they broke it up into "stages" with the cappy-reveal being the next stage of the reveal. Still too soon for me.

The issue I see with waiting until 1-2 months out to reveal is that at any one time there won't be many known upcoming games to look forward to. At the moment, for instance, all we'd know about to be excited for would be Splatoon 2 and Kingdom Battle, we wouldn't have Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Prime 4, Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, etc to get hyped for.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
robzo100 said:

Yeah, 6months is fine, but 1-2 should be experimented with - we're in an age of mass digital distraction, the dilution of new footage happens at an exceedingly quicker rate. I do liek that they broke it up into "stages" with the cappy-reveal being the next stage of the reveal. Still too soon for me.

The issue I see with waiting until 1-2 months out to reveal is that at any one time there won't be many known upcoming games to look forward to. At the moment, for instance, all we'd know about to be excited for would be Splatoon 2 and Kingdom Battle, we wouldn't have Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Prime 4, Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, etc to get hyped for.

II'm fine with that, less saturation.

robzo100 said:
curl-6 said:

I dunno, I don't think it would work. I'd certainly be less inclined to buy a system if I only knew about games coming to it in the next month or two, and I think a lot of others would feel similarly. Having tons of games to get excited about and look forward to is a big draw.

curl-6 said:
robzo100 said:

I dunno, I don't think it would work. I'd certainly be less inclined to buy a system if I only knew about games coming to it in the next month or two, and I think a lot of others would feel similarly. Having tons of games to get excited about and look forward to is a big draw.

I guess I could be flexible on that for new systems and the Switch obviously is under a year old. But as a general rule of thumb when a console is mid-cycle there already would be plenty of games to be excited about.

I don't think games get enough marketing and advertizing post-launch. Pre-launch is often too much in an age where diluted messging happens very quickly. Humanity's attention span is literally decreasing in this digital age. I want them to just experiment with the 1-2 month idea on soem games and then how about 6-month post-launch support? Games get advertized for like one month after release and then are left to die with people never finding out about them.

...Probably the thing I like most about DLC, a good way to naturally extend a game's life cycle through inadvertent marketing.

So throw in Kirby, Fire Emblem, and Yoshi (along with the possibility of Pikmin 4) along with Metroid Prime 4 and Pokémon. If the Switch can manage to ramp up indies and 3rd parties by then, I could see it selling even faster than it is now.

I'm not putting ALL my faith into these rumors, but I hope it's true.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

AC was already huge before they put it on Wii.  The DS game sold over 12 million units.  The 2 3DS FE games sold ~2 million.  

The DS game also proves my point as it was a holiday DS title, it had a surprise success on GC and when unveiled as the Wii Holiday title in the 2008 E3 I remember the online back lash, the game went on to sell over 4m.

2m from a series that averaged 600k or so, that's a large step up especially to do it twice in a row during quiet periods of the year and bring a series on its death bed back, both the 3DS games sold more than the majority of Metroid games and given the growing popularity of FE pushing it as a holiday title is another step in building on the success of the 3DS games after all Nintendo said they now consider FE a big IP.

PAOerfulone said:

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing.

So no logo or trailer and yet they are holiday 2018 and Pokemon and MP4 are not?

They both have a much bigger shot than Pokemon or Prime 4. Out of those 4 games, Animal Crossing has got to be the one that takes up the least amount of resources to develop for. Out of the 4, 2 of them are RPGs, one is a first person, sci-fi, action-adventure. And the last one is a simulator.

With Fire Emblem, Intelligent Systems has talked more about Fire Emblem than Game Freak or the Pokemon Company have talked about Pokemon. Seeing as how Fates came out in June 2015 and Sun/Moon came out in November 2016, that gives Intelligent Systems a 17 month headstart in development for the next Fire Emblem game over the next Pokemon.

The time period between mainline Pokemon games have been 3-4 years, and seeing as how this is the first "console" mainline game AND it's going from a system that was a portable GameCube to a slightly more powerful and portable Wii U, the only way Gen 8 makes 2018 is if they are rushing it out the door specifically to meet that deadline and make the most money, and if that's the case, what does that say about the game's quality? This game will be the biggest project Game Freak has ever done and fans' expectations are the highest they've ever been, they'll need all the time they can get to deliver.

So if you're saying that they can get a project like THAT, to the best and uppermost quality it can be to meet those fan expectations, WITHIN 2 years... yeah Good Luck with that. Same thing goes for Metroid Prime 4.

Maaaybe it has a chance, but that chance is little to none. For comparison's sake, the first time Metroid Prime was revealed was at Nintendo Space World in August 2000. The game itself came out in November 2002. If Prime 4, with not even a reveal just a title card, follows the same pattern, that slates it for September 2019.  And seeing as how the Switch is far more powerful than the GameCube ever was and demands as many more resources, don't be surprised if this games gets pushed to even 2020.

Let´s hope that´s true.
By the way, they would probably have a Fire Emblem game for 2018 too. They announced that it is already in production.

And we still don´t have news about a new Animal Crossing and whatever Retro is working (my bet would be a new F-Zero, but who knows?.....)