By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This is why Nintendo Keeps Supporting the 3DS.

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:

If that's how it worked, then the Dreamcast should have fared leaps and bounds better than the Saturn.

Also, you are on record that Switch will fail.

Was that before or after it was revealed as a hybrid?

I remember saying that I would consider it as a failure if it sold less than 40-50m because it was a hybrid. 40m for a home console only would be a great success for Nintendo.

40m sold lifetime for any console is terrible. Especially considering Sony at its worse still sold 90mil+, why lower the standards for Nintendo?

Around the Network
oniyide said:
vivster said:

I remember saying that I would consider it as a failure if it sold less than 40-50m because it was a hybrid. 40m for a home console only would be a great success for Nintendo.

40m sold lifetime for any console is terrible. Especially considering Sony at its worse still sold 90mil+, why lower the standards for Nintendo?

I said success for Nintendo. If Nintendo could motivate 40m people to buy one of their home consoles after the Wii U, that would be amazing.

Compare it if the Vita successor would sell 40m. That would be a great success for Sony too.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Im happy for nintendo

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

3DS is still their largest user base, so there are at least two excellent reasons to support it, money and making the current majority of their users happy. A third good reason is that showing that they support a platform, if it isn't an utter failure, for five or more years can make gamers more willing to buy their new products and 3rd parties to develop for them.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

oniyide said:
vivster said:

The numbers here say the PS3 sold less than 90m, and also it looks like the PS4 is on its way to sell around the same amount as the PS3, but the XBO is tracking way under the XB360, and Wii U obviously way under Wii.  Why shouldn't we lower what's considered successful in a market place that's apparently decreasing in size?

Around the Network
vivster said:
oniyide said:

I said success for Nintendo. If Nintendo could motivate 40m people to buy one of their home consoles after the Wii U, that would be amazing.

Compare it if the Vita successor would sell 40m. That would be a great success for Sony too.

No it wouldnt those are terrible numbers for any system coming from Manufacturers who have been doing this for decades. I dont how anyone could think that a company that pretty much is responsible for saving gaming sells a console for 40mil and that is considered good. Especially since the other two at their worse can do better than that. 

IMHO thats kinda sad that the once might Ninty could only hope to sell 40mil consoles. 

MDMAlliance said:
oniyide said:

The numbers here say the PS3 sold less than 90m, and also it looks like the PS4 is on its way to sell around the same amount as the PS3, but the XBO is tracking way under the XB360, and Wii U obviously way under Wii.  Why shouldn't we lower what's considered successful in a market place that's apparently decreasing in size?

well one, this site stopped tracking PS3 here a while ago. March 2016 it had sold for 85mil. So im sure its closer to 90mil than not, but yeah im wrong about 90 plus. I dont think we should do it because iMHo their will be no standards, anyone could say anything is a success. When GC and Xbox was bombing was anyone saying the market was shrinking? 

vivster said:
Mandalore76 said:

You're right, vivster.  Nintendo shouldn't have made the Switch, because nobody wanted or asked for it, which is why it is sold out.  Your logic is flawless as always.

Popularity is hardly the sign of a good product.

A regular Nintendo console would've sold just as well until now. Because it's a Nintendo console.

I guess that's why the Wii U was sold out 3 months after its launch.  Oh wait... it wasn't. 

By the way, you've got to stop changing how you perceive the Switch from one day to the next.  One day it's a closed console that is holding back the industry from smart phones and ipads taking over the gaming market.  The next day it's not a console, it is an iphone.  Now, it's a console again.  Just try to stay on your Nintendo hating talking points without tripping over them with contradictory statements.

irstupid said:
monocle_layton said:
Hasn't even been 6 months and the Switch is quickly eating up the chart. Wow.

Well the chart is about revenue. Be a different story if it was operation profit or something besides just straight up cash. I mean the Switch costs $300, and it's games $60.

Just one person buying a system and 1 game equals 1 3DS and like 5 games revenue wise. Or 1 system is like 7 1/2 games, considering the Switch is selling like 300k more than the 3ds a week. Obviously it will bring in revenue easier.

Great point. Price difference does impact the revenue

oniyide said:
MDMAlliance said:

I dont think we should do it because iMHo their will be no standards, anyone could say anything is a success. When GC and Xbox was bombing was anyone saying the market was shrinking? 

Except that doesn't make sense as an argument.  If you add up PS1, N64, and the Saturn AND Dreamcast (if you really want to add those two for that gen of consoles), it still doesn't beat out the console sales of PS2, GC, and XBox.  Then Wii, PS3, and 360 was higher than the previous gen.  However, this gen is tracking WAY under.