By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - The Official Heavy Metal Thread

Do you like extreme metal?

Yes 43 63.24%

No 17 25.00%

See Results 8 11.76%

Total:68

Album of the Week: Bruce Dicinson– The Chemical Wedding (1998)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjK8G5mz29s

While he may not be the band's original vocalist, Bruce Dickinson has become one of the most iconic vocalists of all-time, and when people think of the band Iron Maiden, they are surely thinking about an incarnation with him at the helm. However, to the shock of many, Bruce decided to leave the band in the 90s, and instead focused on his solo career. Now, I'm sure there were many doubts on whether or not he was going to be able to be have even a sliver of quality that Iron Maiden's efforts did. However, not only did he defy the doubts, he smashed it out of park not once, but twice! This album, however, is his most celebrated work as a solo artist, and it's 50+ minutes of heavy metal greatness. There are many great tracks on here, but my favourite track has to be Killing Floor. I just love those guitar riffs! All-in-all, it's a great listen from start to finish!

Around the Network

All of Bruce's albums are fantastic. Can't choose a favourite between the final three. It's around the mid '90s where he started to reach his vocal peak in my opinion, right through to around 2005/2006. As far as The Chemical Wedding is concerned, I think it's a bit more inconsistent than it's predecessor and follow up ("Gates of Urizen" and "Trumpets of Jericho" aren't great), but it's highs are phenomenal. "The Book of Thel", "Jerusalem", "The Alchemist", the title track, "Machine Men", "The Tower"... all incredible. And "Return of the King" has to be one of the greatest B-sides of all time.

drbunnig said:
All of Bruce's albums are fantastic. Can't choose a favourite between the final three. It's around the mid '90s where he started to reach his vocal peak in my opinion, right through to around 2005/2006. As far as The Chemical Wedding is concerned, I think it's a bit more inconsistent than it's predecessor and follow up ("Gates of Urizen" and "Trumpets of Jericho" aren't great), but it's highs are phenomenal. "The Book of Thel", "Jerusalem", "The Alchemist", the title track, "Machine Men", "The Tower"... all incredible. And "Return of the King" has to be one of the greatest B-sides of all time.

I personally prefer the Chemical Wedding, but I guess it`s probably because I`ve listened to it a lot more than the other albums, so it`s much fresher in my mind!

Here's another Japanese band that I found, and one of grindcore's earliest releases!

And some good Japanese death metal!

drbunnig said:

It's a very tough pick between accident of birth and chemical wedding for the reasons you gave. But songs like Jerusalem, Book of thel and others you listed made me prefer it over accident of birth. I actually quite like gates of urizen although I agree that trumpets of jericho is kind a weak. But overall it's an album I still frequently listen too and it has truly outstanding guitar work. For me both albums however are one of the best heavy metal albums out there pretty much on par with Maidens best albums so you can't really go wrong with either.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Qwark said:
drbunnig said:

It's a very tough pick between accident of birth and chemical wedding for the reasons you gave. But songs like Jerusalem, Book of thel and others you listed made me prefer it over accident of birth. I actually quite like gates of urizen although I agree that trumpets of jericho is kind a weak. But overall it's an album I still frequently listen too and it has truly outstanding guitar work. For me both albums however are one of the best heavy metal albums out there pretty much on par with Maidens best albums so you can't really go wrong with either.

Do you have a favourite Iron Maiden album?

VGPolyglot said:
Qwark said:

Do you have a favourite Iron Maiden album?

Pretty much varies each month but from the pre 2000 stuff (post and pre 2000 maiden differ to much to be compared directly) probably number of the beast. It has hallowed be thy name, number of the beast and run to the hills and every song on that album is at least very good. Closely folloewed by powerslave, because of 2 minutes to midnight and rime of the acient marinier and being a damn good album. Honourable mention goes to Seventh son and Somewhere in time. The former is a really good album all together with a few highlights but nothing that stands out like hallowed be thy name. Somewhere in time has 3 of my top 10 Maiden songs with Alexander, Wasted years and the title track. It's also the album with a few songs which are best described as decent.

After the reunion the best album is book of souls in my opinion. I am a sucker for Maidens long and epic songs with epic guitar parts and that's exactly what book of souls offers and I actually like each song on that album. Dance of death and AMOLAD where to long and didn't really stick bit had a few great Maiden.  I would describe them as leaser versions of somewhere in time, but I still thonk they are good metal albums. After that I would probably like Brave new world the best followed by final frontier.

So that's the bit excessive long answer to that question, ;)

Hiku said:

We need more Nightwish in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzWizk3e4MM

One of the best live metal song ever recorded. Sorry Tanja bit Floor simply nails this one, especially the ending.

Best album for me though is Imaginaerum it was so varied and thematic making it so much fun to listen to. And with this statement 66% of the Nightwish fanbase hates my guts. 

Best Maiden album for me is Piece of Mind, with Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death taking up spots two and three respectively. The opening one two in particular of "Where Eagles Dare" and "Revelations is awesome, and of course "The Trooper" is a classic. It's just superb all the way through though. Songs like "Sun and Steel", "Quest for Fire", "To Tame a Land" and "Still Life" are just immense cuts that get a little lost in the shuffle of their incredible catalogue.

Really though, the first seven and most of the reunion era stuff is pure gold. Wouldn't argue with anyone picking any of those records as their favourite.

OK guys, I put up a new poll, asking if you like extreme metal! This will help me with certain decisions in the future: personally I love extreme metal, but I'm not sure if most of you here do.