By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - The Official Heavy Metal Thread

Do you like extreme metal?

Yes 43 63.24%

No 17 25.00%

See Results 8 11.76%

Total:68

Album of the Week: Black Sabbath– Master of Reality (1971)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6OKu0_WNvY

Ahh, Black Sabbath. What can be said about them that has not already been discussed a thousand times over? They are very often considered to be the first heavy metal band in existence! Now, while their self-titled may have kickstarted them, and Paranoid launched them into the stratosphere, Master of Reality is also one of their most celebrated releases, being the blueprint for the legions of stoner bands that would not have existed had this album not been released. Just listen to that opening track! Sweet Leaf, with its downtuned guitars, would become the signature tone for the acts that followed. Of course, it was not just the sound that they inspiration from. The title should obviously make it very evident what the topic is! All in all, it's a classic album that was released in a stretch of 6 consecutive albums of greatness by the originators of the genre!

Around the Network

A very notable omission from the 50 albums list, Carcass is a must for grind and death fans!

Man, I've been listening to this nonstop for the last few hours! I just love the guitar at the beginning of the video (note that this is not the entire song, it's just the ending of it):

Scott Burns and Morrisound studios were extremely influential in the advancement of extreme metal, so I decided to post some of the noteworthy albums from there!:

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Cancer - Death Shall Rise

Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding

Cynic - Focus

Death - Human

Deicide - Deicide

Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican

Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity

Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption

Obituary - Cause of Death

Sepultura - Arise

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

My dear Chun Li, I've just burnt my ears listening to deep purple through the week and I confirm, it is a hard rock band, not metal at all.

I would like nevertheless to cast a vote for the album of the week to angel of retribution, by Judas Priest

edit: masters of reality and chemical wedding are a good choice 

Around the Network
j.thomaz said:

My dear Chun Li, I've just burnt my ears listening to deep purple through the week and I confirm, it is a hard rock band, not metal at all.

I would like nevertheless to cast a vote for the album of the week to angel of retribution, by Judas Priest

edit: masters of reality and chemical wedding are a good choice 

Yeah, they're not really heavy metal, but I guess I included them since they're on the Metal Archives. I could do Angel of Retribution as a future album of the week, though

VGPolyglot said:
OK, so what I'll do is make Master of Reality the album for this week, and The Chemical Wedding for next week!

Awesome OP, I will make sure to keep visiting this thread and add some NWOBHM and Symphonic metal in this thread. Plenty of treasures in the woods of metal to be found anyway ;). Children of the grave reminds me of brutal legend btw great game with an awesome soundtrack.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
VGPolyglot said:
OK, so what I'll do is make Master of Reality the album for this week, and The Chemical Wedding for next week!

Awesome OP, I will make sure to keep visiting this thread and add some NWOBHM and Symphonic metal in this thread. Plenty of treasures in the woods of metal to be found anyway ;). Children of the grave reminds me of brutal legend btw great game with an awesome soundtrack.

For something more exotic check out these Brazilian guys "Steel warrior" (nothing related to Manowar) they have some discs self released, pretty decent in the likes of blind guardian.

WELCOME TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, since we're a video game site, why not celebrate by getting some heavy metal music from video games? Here are some of my favourites!!