By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Industry Is Stronger When Nintendo Is Strong, Says Sony's Jim Ryan

celador said:
woah, they should merge or share games or something now, their relationship is so strong!

Eww... Keep that crap off my console!

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:
I hope people know that this is all PR to discredit the competition. Behind the scenes Nintendo and Sony are both planning on how to annihilate each other. They hate each other.

Exactly, Sony is doing what it does best trying to discredit the competition, the dollars people expend on electronic entertaiment devices are the same dollars for a nintendo, Sony or MS console they are competing and rigth now Nintendo is wining the battle.

34 years playing games.

xl-klaudkil said:
onionberry said:

wii60 was a real thing back then, do a research and you will see that wii60 was "the perfect combination" 

"why should I buy a ps3 when I can buy a wii and a 360 for that kind of money!?" that's wii60.

Never heared  of it,and must only  be in the beginning. 

Was a thing for like 3 years, and that's when Sony started to do better with their price cut and exclusives. PS3 was a dead or alive console back then and the backslash was amusing. I was like 14 years old and I remember everything. Ps3 was a great console that had a rough start and thanks to that Sony lost a lot of money, but then the comeback was pretty amazing, one of the biggest 180 in gaming.

onionberry said:
pokoko said:
"Wii60" era? How does a writer for a video-game publication not know that the PS3 regularly outsold the 360?

wii60 was a real thing back then, do a research and you will see that wii60 was "the perfect combination" 

"why should I buy a ps3 when I can buy a wii and a 360 for that kind of money!?" that's wii60.

Do a research, you'll see that the PS3 outsold the 360 on a regular basis.  That's an era of dominance?  I don't think those words mean what the writer thinks they mean.

Actually, looking it up, "wii60" mainly looks like a fanboy thing.

He is right on one thing, I love my PS4 to play at home, and I love my Switch to play on the go... couldnt care less for the XB1 really, since I use my PC to play the 1 or 2 exclusives that interest me.

PS4: Tryklon  Steam: Tryklon

Switch: 0307-6588-7010 | New 2DS XL: 2037-2612-6964

MacBook Air (Mid 2017) | iPhone SE | Apple Watch Series 3

Around the Network

Switch doesn't really impact the PS4 much outside of maybe Japan, and even there a lot of Japanese consumers simply don't want a home console period so that's not Nintendo's fault. And Nintendo brings in kids to the dedicated gaming market, which I'm sure Sony appreciates as they get a crack at getting some of those kids as they age.

pokoko said:
onionberry said:

Do a research, you'll see that the PS3 outsold the 360 on a regular basis.  That's an era of dominance?  I don't think those words mean what the writer thinks they mean.

what? the 360 was dominating the ps3, sony started to do better years after. That's what he means with the wii60 era. Your "regular basis" was after that period and after the price cut with a bunch of exclusives. 360 was the hot toy thanks to the great price, xbox live, halo 3, gears of war  and better third party support. Let's not hide the true of how  bad the situation was for the PS3 back then.

Nintendo doesn't really compete in any of the genres that Sony relies on either.

Switch doesn't have a a single FPS, violent third person action games, racing sim, sports game, etc. that would really threaten Sony.

It's a platform largely driven by Nintendo mascot games, and Sony is no longer really interested in those types of games. They've given Crash Bandicoot a token remaster and that's it, but they kinda stopped making things like Crash and Spyro generations ago.

So that in part too is part of the reason I don't think Sony cares much. If tomorrow Nintendo stared to make FPS and racers ... then Sony's tune would probably change but so long as Nintendo stays in their bubble making Mario/Kirby/Pokemon/Donkey Kong/Yoshi/Animal Crossing etc. games as like 90% of their output ... I don't think Sony views them as a threat. Zelda, ok is maybe the one Nintendo franchise that kinda overlaps into Playstation territory and even that only kinda (and when Nintendo uses a more realistic art style). Metroid is small potatoes.

In the 90s there was far more overlap. Nintendo published games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Zelda, Starcraft 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, 1080 Snowboarding, NBA Courtside, Ken Griffey MLB, that certainly were right in the same wheel house Sony was targetting and Sony conversely used to make games like Crash Bandicoot, PaRappa the Rapper, and Spyro the Dragon that were aimed at the Nintendo mascot crowd. I guess they had Litte Big Planet but it looks like they've given up on that IP. 

pokoko said:

Are you kidding mate when did you start gaming as Wii60 was a common theme for the first half of gen 7 it wasn't even a fanboy thing either, 360 also demolished PS3 during that period it was only after heavy price cuts and getting their act together and Microsoft going down the suicidal Kinect route that PS3 came back.

Woah there Jimmy! You've just said something that isn't bullshit!