By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Industry Is Stronger When Nintendo Is Strong, Says Sony's Jim Ryan

Yes indeed! We need something different and "good" in the industry.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
onionberry said:
pokoko said:
"Wii60" era? How does a writer for a video-game publication not know that the PS3 regularly outsold the 360?

wii60 was a real thing back then, do a research and you will see that wii60 was "the perfect combination" 

"why should I buy a ps3 when I can buy a wii and a 360 for that kind of money!?" that's wii60.

Never heard of wii60 but funny thing was I was part of it. I had both and it was literally the best lol.

Pionner said:
Not really. Playstation is a better world wide brand and the industry, developers, and gamers benefit more when Playstation is successful.

This article sums it up-

http://gamingbolt.com/why-playstation-being-dominant-may-be-the-best-thing-for-the-gaming-industry

What gamers in general are we talking about here?., because as far as I can see, only Sony gamers benefit from what Sony fofers, not all the other platforms that get cut out of IP deals and marketing/install base growth. People have tried hard before Sony was successful, so it's not "people only try their hardest when X company is on top".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

JRPGfan said:
killeryoshis said:
I hope people know that this is all PR to discredit the competition. Behind the scenes Nintendo and Sony are both planning on how to annihilate each other. They hate each other.

They each target differnt demographics though.

Id say Sony & Microsoft are more alike, so naturally they have to compete as its usually a buy means 1 or the other.

Alot of people get a nintendo system, but also pick up a ps4 or xb1, or vice versa.

I think its much less common for people to get a PS4 & XB1.

Dont think Sony hates Nintendo, or plans to annihilate them.

Nintendo tends to target everyone. That includes Sony's market. Games like Zelda,Xenoblade and Metriod do that.  You may think Mario sells to kids. But Mario sells to everyone.  Nintendo may not directly compete but they do want that Sony market too. After all the Switch sold about 46% of its units to people of ages 24 - 34.  Source. That is Sony's market right there.  People will say those are just Nintendo fans but where were they during the Wii U? Right now it might not seem like Switch is eating into PS4's market but nothing happens overnight. It could happen. The Switch will also eat into PS5's market as well. 

Also yes Sony and Nintendo do want to annihilate each other for one reason( Other then wanting a monopoly in gaming.) : 3rd party support. Both companies want 100% exclusive 3rd party support. Of course they will not get that but they can if somone is destroyed. Right now Sony has western AAA development locked up but in Japan it is more splintered between Nintendo and Sony.  Those two companies will want to fight eah other to get more support. There are rumors that Sony paid Capcom to not have Monster Hunter World on the Switch.  Could it be true? We won't know for sure. Nintendo did something to get the franchise to not release on the Vita so Sony could do the same. That shows Sony sees the Switch as big threat. Especially in Japan where Sony does not have a monopoly in Japanesse support. 

Also I am pretty sure Indies (Which release on almost everything) being exclusive on a platform also preferred as well. 

What I am saying is that even if Nintendo and Sony don't do jabs at each other like they did in the 5th generation do not mistaken that as friendly competition. They both want each other dead. Because instead of spending $300 on a Switch, Sony would prefer those $300 going into buying PS4 games. 

Nintendo wanted Sony's handhelds to go away. It looks like they will get their wish. Nintendo is now going to try to do the same to Sony's home consoles. Nintendo doesn't want to share they want a monopoly like the NES days. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Chazore said:
Pionner said:
Not really. Playstation is a better world wide brand and the industry, developers, and gamers benefit more when Playstation is successful.

This article sums it up-

http://gamingbolt.com/why-playstation-being-dominant-may-be-the-best-thing-for-the-gaming-industry

What gamers in general are we talking about here?., because as far as I can see, only Sony gamers benefit from what Sony fofers, not all the other platforms that get cut out of IP deals and marketing/install base growth. People have tried hard before Sony was successful, so it's not "people only try their hardest when X company is on top".

Yes let's just pretend the amount of growth PS brought to the market.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Pionner said:

This article sums it up-

Nintendo offers it's own unique library and game play mechanics. But with PS you're guaranteed every type of game genre. From AAA to niche, Japanese, western etc.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Pionner said:

Nintendo offers it's own unique library and game play mechanics. But with PS you're guaranteed every type of game genre. From AAA to niche, Japanese, western etc.

I'm talking about everyone else though, not just for Sony's own userbase.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

You know what makes the industry strong Ryan? Allowing cross-play between all systems.

Azzanation said:
You know what makes the industry strong Ryan? Allowing cross-play between all systems.

because? like FF XIV?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

because? like FF XIV?

Because? Like 2017