By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japan: The Nintendo Switch Sells Out In Six Minutes

I Think that if Arms managed to sell below 450k before Splatoon 2 release it will be doomed... too little fuss and word of mouth.

If it can reach 450k/750k we can see some legs throug out the year for a life time sales of 1,5mil.

Anything above 750k will means that the word is out and anything can happen at that point.

To get the momentum going, Arms should have an "ArmandaLeg" fest the weekend before Splatoon2 releases and free dlc monthly till Xmas!

Switch!!!

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Jranation said:

It was around 100k FW. It wasnt a total flop, but it definitely became a huge hit weeks and months after it have first released. Arms could have a similar effect, but there is just many things that will be stopping that: 

- The fighting genre vs shooting genre

- Splatoon 2 releases in 1 month 

- Switch Stock sells out really quickly. 

Hopefully it still does over 500k LT 

Yea I could definately see Arm's legs being not as good. You know a person get a Switch because of "X' game or friend tells him too, ect.

Then he asks for game recomendations or looks at good games he wants. So many games coming out soon or already out that he may grab before he looks at Arms.

You have BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 soon, Mario Odyssey as some of the big hitters just this year. Then many others that he may like depending on genre, Skyrim, Xenoblade 2, Mario+Rabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, ect. Arms could get lost in the mix, or be like 4-5 on their must have list. But by the time they clear their backlog to buy Arms, other new games might be out like Kirby, Yoshi, FE, Pokemon, Metroic, ect.

It's only change imo is if these free downloads/updates keep the userbase sticking around and playing for months on end like it did for splatoon. If people have moved on from arms to splatoon or some other game, new players won't be enticed to purchase Arms.

Yep! I can see that happening.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Wow, that 4 line article must've been pretty tough to copy and paste into the thread. I hope OP survived the failed attempt.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Flilix said:
If it's selling so well right now, the Splatoon 2 release will be absolutely crazy!

Well, if they can keep up with demand, that is!

vivster said:
Wow, that 4 line article must've been pretty tough to copy and paste into the thread. I hope OP survived the failed attempt.

So, I guess your thread hasn't really changed much

Around the Network
vivster said:

Bare-bones article, even more bone-dry OP.

irstupid said:
Jranation said:

It was around 100k FW. It wasnt a total flop, but it definitely became a huge hit weeks and months after it have first released. Arms could have a similar effect, but there is just many things that will be stopping that: 

- The fighting genre vs shooting genre

- Splatoon 2 releases in 1 month 

- Switch Stock sells out really quickly. 

Hopefully it still does over 500k LT 

Yea I could definately see Arm's legs being not as good. You know a person get a Switch because of "X' game or friend tells him too, ect.

Then he asks for game recomendations or looks at good games he wants. So many games coming out soon or already out that he may grab before he looks at Arms.

You have BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 soon, Mario Odyssey as some of the big hitters just this year. Then many others that he may like depending on genre, Skyrim, Xenoblade 2, Mario+Rabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, ect. Arms could get lost in the mix, or be like 4-5 on their must have list. But by the time they clear their backlog to buy Arms, other new games might be out like Kirby, Yoshi, FE, Pokemon, Metroic, ect.

It's only change imo is if these free downloads/updates keep the userbase sticking around and playing for months on end like it did for splatoon. If people have moved on from arms to splatoon or some other game, new players won't be enticed to purchase Arms.

Hey man, too many games are never a bad thing.

I think Nintendo might want to always have high stocks for Arms, simply because it is one of the showcase titles for the Switch. This starts with the bright yellow main color which basically screams "Hey, I'm different! Play me!" right into the customers' face. Then the quirky character designs, also very unique and different than what you see elsewhere. And the back of the boxes teaches you that you play this with your own movements! That is definitely the point where uninformed customers will be interested. Because of this, I believe that Arms will still be recognised by enough people and it will be one of the flagship games.

Yerm said:
theyve already increased production levels twice and it hasnt even been 4 months. and I still cant find one anywhere.

im still just ticked off at how terribly Nintendo is managing the stock shortages. they said they wanted to sell 20 million units in the first year, and while that is more of a stretch goal, that would require them to sell on average over 50,000 Switch consoles per day. how were they not prepared for this?

Nintendo stated that they want to produce 18 million Switches by March 2018. That does not mean 20 million sell through by years end.

If I were to speculate on sell through I's say they are going for 12-13 by end of 2017 if they can ramp up production accordingly. And that is assuming that they'll sell through 3 million or less in January-March 2018.  13m+ is Ps4 first year ballpark.

That's a very lazy op. Anyway, the infamous nintendo shortages. Either somebody within Nintendo is horrible at the job of making sure there's plenty of stock where it needs to be or Nintendo is creating shortages on purpose for headlines just like this one.

GoOnKid said:

Hey man, too many games are never a bad thing.

I think Nintendo might want to always have high stocks for Arms, simply because it is one of the showcase titles for the Switch. This starts with the bright yellow main color which basically screams "Hey, I'm different! Play me!" right into the customers' face. Then the quirky character designs, also very unique and different than what you see elsewhere. And the back of the boxes teaches you that you play this with your own movements! That is definitely the point where uninformed customers will be interested. Because of this, I believe that Arms will still be recognised by enough people and it will be one of the flagship games.

I agree that we can't count Arms out yet...

Sure, it seems like the lowest profile first party release yet (not counting 1,2, Switch or Snipperclips!), but not every game is going to be Breath of the Wild or Mario Kart...

Having said that, I'm actually quite surprised by the number of commercials I've seen advertising the game on TV...

I almost want to say that Nintendo has learned their lesson from the nearly nonexistent advertising during the Wii U era, but I don't want to jump the gun...

It looks like they know Arms could really do them some serious favors with the right push...

Have a nice day...