By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Fit + Rock Band Wii = Death of "revenue" argument for 360 apologists

Right now, there are few areas that Sony or Microsoft can claim victory over Nintendo in. But for Microsoft, one of those areas has been revenue, for a long time now. Even after Wii has passed them in worldwide install base and monthly unit software sales, higher hardware and software prices keeps 360 ahead in dollar spend, at least in America.

But this is about to end. First of all, two high-price, high-profile releases for Wii should eradicate any revenue advantage 360 has. Wii Fit has been a smash hit in Japan, and Rock Band has been a smash hit on 360. Both games drop on Wii in America in the next few months. Certainly, 360 will see GTAIV in this period, but Wii will see Mario Kart, which will drive additional peripheral sales as well. Then sometime this year, 360 should see another price drop in America. And lastly, Wii should see increased hardware production, boosting sales of everything. In total, Wii should end up with a substantial revenue advantage.

We know that 360's American hardware install base lead is also going to end at some point this year. The attach rate argument seems to have been disappearing since Cmas 07 sales numbers came out. With the death of the revenue defense, I'm not really sure what the next standard of success for 360 will become. Some combination of 3rd party attach rate, 3rd party revenue and online revenue or attach rate? Watch out for insultingly stupid standards like "revenue attach rate" or even "average sale price."

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

I totally agree. Nice thread.

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Great read, & I'll make sure I'm on the lookout for those when I enter sites like 1up.

I don't understand.. why does matter if Wii makes more revenue in the casual user market? 360 will STILL make money in their own demographics.

How will Wiifit hurt 360? The answer is.. no, it won't, so I don't see why it's a huge deal. It's only a huge deal if you are a true hardcore fanboy who might get his/her pride hurt

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Good point. It will take some time until the "average top 10/50 on gamerankings" argument dies. Grasping at straws is a funny thing to watch. Fanboys from all factions do it.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
I don't understand.. why does matter if Wii makes more revenue in the casual user market? 360 will STILL make money in their own demographics.

How will Wiifit hurt 360? The answer is.. no, it won't, so I don't see why it's a huge deal. It's only a huge deal if you are a true hardcore fanboy who might get his/her pride hurt

This is pure speculation.  Its not like every time you buy a game the employee writes down whether you're a hardcore gamer or a casual gamer.   

Not to mention the fact that (in the US at least) the money is the same color and spends the same no matter who spends it.  With sales numbers I can see a reason for distinguishing hardcore and casual (although still not a good one) but when it comes to revenue making a distinction just makes no sense. 

MS - "We're proud to announce that while we're losing in casual revenue we're still doing quite well in terms of hardcore revenue.  Later this year we hope to unviel our new revenue source tentatively titled 'elite hardcorez revenue'. "

^^There is a reason you don't see statements like that. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
RolStoppable said:
kingofwale said:

I could see Microsoft using something like this in their responses to NPD reports:

"Once again, Xbox 360 generated the most revenue in the hardcore user market."

Yeah, that's the kind of PR Microsoft needs.

Well, Microsoft PR will be soon running out of "positive spins", it's just the way it is.

PS3 is selling it in every region and Wii kicks both of their asses too.

THe LTD number vs PS3 can probably hold for another year and half.

God I hate spins.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:

I think your post is the best definition of irony in whole internet. Just after the OP wrote: 

Watch out for insultingly stupid standards like "revenue attach rate" or even "average sale price."

you come and say: ZOMG! hardcoar revenue FTW!

And like that was not enough you deal the overkilling blow: "It's only a huge deal if you are a true hardcore fanboy who might get his/her pride hurt".

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

ItsaMii said:
kingofwale said:

I think your post is the best definition of irony in whole internet. Just after the OP wrote:

Watch out for insultingly stupid standards like "revenue attach rate" or even "average sale price."

you come and say: ZOMG! hardcoar revenue FTW!

And like that was not enough you deal the overkilling blow: "It's only a huge deal if you are a true hardcore fanboy who might get his/her pride hurt".

my post had nothing to do with "revenue attach rate" or even "average sales price". It's just targeting different demographics with increase of one does not imply decrease of another. (or have very little to do with it)

In fact, Wiifit will do absolutely nothing to PS3 or 360's revenue whatsoever. 

selnor
Episode 2:

i agree