By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I actually agree with Phil: Sony's Reasoning For Blocking Cross-Play Is "Unhealthy,"

Well of course it seems unhealthy to Microsoft since their playerbase is 1/2 of playstations, probably even less. I don't understand why Sony is being under attack for not wanting to do cross play, they have nothing to gain for that. They have a massive install base in the PS ecosystem, the only one's to gain from that are the one's that don't have that many players.

Around the Network

Suddenly all Multipats games on Xbox are cross platform right? Right?

And we still have people defending this guy in every thread... seems crazier than people that still defends Lula in Brazil.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think it's nice to have, though I don't really think it's necessary or unhealthy :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Bandorr said:
maxleresistant said:
Also, Phil Spencer is totally right about that whole "security talk", Microsoft and Xbox Live are one of the best in term of security.

And sony should not try to give lessons on the subject after what happened with their customers credit card info and passwords, in 2011 if I remember correctly.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/04/tech/gaming-gadgets/5-year-old-xbox-hack/index.html

5-year-old boy hacks dad's Xbox account.

"Kristoffer would go to his dad's account and type in an incorrect password. That would take him to a password verifications screen, where he would simply tap the space bar repeatedly and then press "enter.""

Oh and if you want a good laugh - look up internet explorer. Then come back and talk about "security" and "Microsoft".

Loooool. Absolutly nailed it Just wanted to respond with the IE part and saw that you already did it :))

But in all honesty, neither should talk about security in general, as both have a fairly shady record. Hell every major IT service provider has a shady record :)))

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

He's obviously right, but Sony knows a big part of picking a console is making sure to get the same one your friends have so that you can play together (I know a group of us made the decision collectively in my case), and while cross play would be the decent and nice thing to do, it would potentially weaken their stranglehold on this current gen while offering Sony itself few to no real benefits.

If the Xbox1 had gotten off to a fast start and PS4 stumbled out of the gate, I've no doubt Sony (and potentially Microsoft as well) would be singing different tunes right now. Hopefully cross play will become common enough between Microsoft and Nintendo that Sony, in time, starts to feel some pressure to join in.

Around the Network

I don't agree. I think cross console online play would devolve into toxic console wars constantly. Do you really want that?

Sony doesn't want players using their console to log into Xbox live.

I know they won't cross play because of that dough but they couldn't come up with a better answer. They could have said anything and it would have been better. Implying Ninty consoles are unsafe while PC and PS consoles are safe for kids is just stupid at its very fundamental core. They could have seriously said "jerbkfbjdnsksbnciebhowsenstern" and it would have been a better response. Realistically they could have said that there are some problems internally and we are working on it and thinking about it but no further details at this point. It would have been a better lie than this and I just cane up with it. They have a PR department to handle this stuff and still that's all they could say

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

There's more to sony's answer than that but they couldn't go into the details of why they wouldn't allow cross-play with that particular game.

Phil shouldn't be trying to make it seem like sony is the holding back cross-play when microsoft's track record show that it's been against it for a while. Will MS allow crossplay on FFXIV ARR with PS3, PS4 and actual pc? No. Otherwise they would have a copy of it on their consoles. Both SE and sony said they are up for it.

pokoko said:
Azzanation said:

No your assuming that if Xbox was lead platform they wouldnt allow it this gen.

Just because it happen last gen doesnt make it automatically follow into next. If that was the case than PS4 would have cost the same as the PS3 and XB1 would still be bundled with Kinect. Industry changes all the time. No one cares about last gen and the egos. Thats just an excuse from gamers agasint the good will behind a company they dont like. 

But it DID follow into the next.  Microsoft was against cross-play this gen but suddenly changed their policy.  NOW it's "unhealthy."  Was it not unhealthy before?  

It sure as hell isn't "good will".  It's because NOW Microsoft can realize a benefit.  

So you will stick to assuming thats the case. No worries.