By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (After the) E3: These new games do not appear on switch. E3 Situation-analyze

The biggest problem for the switch is ...?

Focus on PlayStation 4 and/or xbox in future 16 7.37%

The switch-hardware, not strong enough 51 23.50%

The weak interest of other developers 34 15.67%

No trust in 3rd party support 28 12.90%

It changes-with stronger ... 4 1.84%

I think .. (other opinion) 11 5.07%

Many reasons from the list !! 26 11.98%

See results 47 21.66%

Total:217
sc94597 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

XC 2 is a sequel to a game with 84 on metacritice. Persona 5, Nier Automata and Ni no kuni all have higher metascores. Also higher than Splatoon by the way. Its far from being the best RPG around even if all you go with is metacritic scores.

The game is called Xenoblade Chronicles 2, not Xenoblade Chronicles X2. The X series is likely to continue is something separate, with its own direct sequel. XC2 looks obviously more like the XC that XCX, in pretty much every way, except it is a much more polished title. Takahashi said he wanted to separate the open-world, exploration basee titles and the story-driven, semi-open world ones.

Having said all of that, whether or not XB2 will be better than Persona 5 is mostly up to taste really. Persona games and Xeno games play very differently, but both do what they do good at about the same level of quality and polish.

Okay I thought X was a sequel to the original. Still its made by the same developers right? Its really all about the developer, so it could go either way.

Around the Network
KazumaKiryu said:

It's okay - to say, what the situation looks like. Let's analyze the situation with an overview (survey) - would be nice if we had a normal discussion. Many people always say "wait, wait" - but.. The E3 has again shown that many big or important new games do not appear on Switch. The games like Red Dead Redemption 2 or someday Grand Theft Auto 6 do not appear for Switch, everyone know it. But also other great or important games of developers seem to play no role "on the nintendo switch". Examples:

(After the) E3: These new games do not appear on Switch.

"The Evil Within 2 (2017 release) , Assassins Creed Origins (2017) and Far Cry 5. The new Need for Speed, Call of Duty and Pro Evolution Soccer for 2017. Code Vein, Marvel vs Capcom (2017), Monster Hunter World, DragonBall Fighters Z, the new Metro-Game, Darksiders 3, hack//G.U. Last Recode, Tropico 6, Gundam(2017), Skull and Bones, Anthem" and many more. important games like "Persona 5" or "Ni No Kuni 2" (both 2017) remain PS4 exclusive. This year, Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront II will available for other consoles. I can remember well - as many n-fans said, "Wait for the E3". Is it so hard to be honest? The situation of the big 3rd party-games or especially graphically strong games on switch... dont looks good. Especially because... (your thoughts? Write it here.)

What is with the future of multi-games ? How looks it ? That's what I think:

The technology of the games is getting better, the focus will be on PlayStation 4 (Pro) and the new xbox one - for the future. Also 4k plays a role for the next years. In 1-2 years there will be even more games like Horizon Zero Dawn, which are big and have incredible details + strong graphics. Only if a stronger switch hardware (upgrade) 2018 appears, it could run better. New games - which appear someday, like a new "Battlefield" or "Mass Effect" - are already excluded on the switch. The reasons are obvious: the switch hardware is too weak or the developers are not interested. This problem had nintendo many times, this is nothing new. Yes..this sounds hard, but so is the situation - even in the future. What do you think are the biggest problems? Share your thoughts and choose a answer in the poll. Let's analyze the situation.

Just curious, because I see a lot of people in the forums mention Persona 5 not being on Switch, will we see any threads titled:  "Shin Megami Tensei Switch (under whatever title it eventually gets) not to appear on PS4"?  Atlus has been releasing Persona titles for Sony and Shin Megami Tensei titles for Nintendo for a long while now.  I don't know why anyone would register Persona 5's exclusivity to PS4 as some kind of blow to Nintendo when the next Shin Megami Tensei title has already been announced as in the works.

It's a different world now for Nintendo, previously with the wii u most multi-format games were weaker on wii u because of the weak hardware and although the same this time around you now have portability added into the mix. I'm not going to buy a terrible version of a game on wii u when I can play a far superior version on ps4 especially for the same money. However with Switch and ps4 you have to weigh up if portability is enough of a bonus to outweigh inferior graphics.

If Switch continues to sell well I'm sure we will get more third party titles even if they are slightly weak versions of ps4/xbone games. At this point in time we don't know about Switch long term success but it certainly looks stronger than wii u by miles. Also I'm not personally against higher quality versions of ios and android games or remix's of older ps3/360 titles.

I've been impressed with Nintendo's diary of releases maintaining interest and awareness in the format. That's the most important thing, making sure good exclusive games are released regularly it doesn't matter who publish's them.

I wonder if the wii u's catalogue of weak third party games actually did it any good anyway. I mean games that looked like ps3/360 games but with inferior frame rates compared to the latest ps4 and xbox one games surely was damaging for the format. Even allowing for the bonus of portability would full third party support for the Switch actually be damaging if the games were much weaker than ps4 and xbox one? They'd end up cutting out important features, graphics and frame rate weaker etc. Surely better to program games from the ground up for the hardware than just cut a game to the bone trying to get it to work with weak hardware.

Mandalore76 said:

Just curious, because I see a lot of people in the forums mention Persona 5 not being on Switch, will we see any threads titled:  "Shin Megami Tensei Switch (under whatever title it eventually gets) not to appear on PS4"?  Atlus has been releasing Persona titles for Sony and Shin Megami Tensei titles for Nintendo for a long while now.  I don't know why anyone would register Persona 5's exclusivity to PS4 as some kind of blow to Nintendo when the next Shin Megami Tensei title has already been announced as in the works.

Before the E3 one could read on VGChartz, how many players want Persona 5 is coming on "switch". But Atlus said no. And a few people said, "Wait for the E3". Anyone register Persona 5 because the reviews speak of one of the best video game stories of all time and the whole game is simply awesome.

Its the best atlus-game, one of the best jrpgs in the last years and maybe the number 1 rpg this year. The global sales figures are awesome with more than 1 million units sold. Perhaps two million sold units are possible (total sales in life), would be wonderful for this masterpiece. The characters are fantastic, the story and gameplay so amazing. And the emotions are legendary. Persona had (ever since persona 3) always a better story with great features than the SMT-Games. That has nothing to do with "PS exclusiv vs N exclusive", Persona has always been more popular(among the players who have both played and the ratings). Persona has also always been higher development costs, more love to detail (the world, gameplay and story). i like SMT and its good. I wish Atlus always success :) Let's see how the new SMT will - hopefully with more love to details and bigger world. I support Atlus - as good as it gets, they deserve it :) 

edit. great analysis. Nice to see someone who created a proper analysis. The reasons sound logical. Yes.. perhaps the one reason is always with the other one together. Like a chain. Thanks for your thoughts :) @ TruckOSaurus

ps. Really interesting to see what the majority in the survey thinks.

KazumaKiryu said:

Its the best atlus-game, one of the best jrpgs in the last years and maybe the number 1 rpg this year. The global sales figures are awesome with more than 1 million units sold. Perhaps two million sold units are possible (total sales in life), would be wonderful for this masterpiece. The characters are fantastic, the story and gameplay so amazing. Persona had (ever since persona 3) always a better story with great features than the SMT-Games. That has nothing to do with "PS exclusiv vs N exclusive", Persona has always been more popular(among the players who have both played and the ratings). Persona has also always been higher development costs, more love to detail (the world, gameplay and story). i like SMT and its good. I wish Atlus always success :) Let's see how the new SMT will - hopefully with more love to details and bigger world.

Persona  pulling ahead of SMT in terms of priority is something which developed around the time of Persona 4 and Strange Journey's release, to be honest. Nocturne had just as much hype, as high a budget, and similar acclaim (83 vs. 86 metacritic) as Persona 3, for example. Strange Journey was a NDS game, and SMTIV was a 3DS game, so they suffered from being devalued by gamers because they were handheld titles, even though they were both excellent. SMTIV: Apocalypse was probably the most polished SMT game, to be honest, so I have high expectations for SMTV. SMTV looks to be an evolution for the series, being on Switch only and using UE4. So it definitely has potential. 

I disagree with the part about "Persona more love to (the world, gameplay)", although the story tends to be more personal. Persona dropped a lot of its meta-story with the third game, with very few allusions to Philemon vs. Nyralathotep in way of slice-of-life and character focused stories. SMT is much more about the world's story and how different choices can influence the world's outcome, and also has the strong YHWH vs Lucifer meta-story. It is always interesting to see how YHWH and Lucifer (as well as the Order vs. Chaos) plays out in SMT games. The dungeon crawling has been much more detailed in SMT vs. Persona (until Persona 5.) So we will see whether this stays true with SMTV vs. P5. Not to mention that SMT games are much more difficult and less forgiving than Persona games. Although Persona's slice of live elements are quite stellar and definitely help break the monotony. Persona 5 was definitely a great direction for the series. 

Overall though, I think Atlus is not going to keep SMT as a second-tier title, they are going to give it just as much effort and time as they do Persona games, especially now that it is on the Switch. 

Around the Network
superchunk said:
I'm surprised many of the holiday yearly games were not mentioned for Switch. But that is likely due to me not critically thinking about the time and effort it takes to make changes to a development project once its been funded and is well underway. As a software dev manager myself, this shouldn't be a surprise to me.

Fact is, EVERY game luanching in 2017 was planned and paid for a year or more before Switch dev kits hit their hands and more importantly before Switch launched and demonstrated quickly that it is going to be a success.

So it actually becomes a very simple equation.
1. Switch continues to sell well this year and likely surpasses WiiU LTD.
2. 3rd parties realize there is a market and that most/all of their tools can scale to Switch.
3. Of the titles where #2 is true (will be most), then said company will plan and pay for a Switch version.

NBA2K18, FIFA are going to sell well relative to Switch's userbase size.
As will various older ports like Skyrim, etc.

As Switch continues to sell, EA will throw the token EA Sports yearly titles Switches way (I think they'll have to based on licensing commitments), but they may argue its not powerful enough (true or not) for SW & BF titles.

You'll see CODs, AC, etc all hit as well in 2018.

This year is all 1st party and the proof of concept titles from 3rd parties. The easy stuff they could fit into pre-existing plans as low-risk test beds.

Year 2 will be the coming of the masses.

I'm honestly not sure about CODs/ACs and that sorta. 

Maybe possible that next year Activision and Ubi will consider ports of older PS3/360 CoDs/AC titles though. 

I think the whole "lets make a whole version of this custom for Switch" is not going to happen much. 

Soundwave said:

I'm honestly not sure about CODs/ACs and that sorta. 

Maybe possible that next year Activision and Ubi will consider ports of older PS3/360 CoDs/AC titles though. 

I think the whole "lets make a whole version of this custom for Switch" is not going to happen much. 

I don't think bolded is as true as you think.

Once the middleware has support for Switch, most of the porting work is a button click. Then its just dev time to tweak the build to perfection.

I'm not saying its free to port to Switch, but its not "custom" in the sense your thinking either.

Perfect example is what EA said for Switches FIFA18. Its using their latest tools with some features turned off. Its not a PS360 version of the game. EA used their time to make their tool run on switch but in this stage, they couldn't or didn't put out the effort to get all features working on a switch build. Which is I I'm saying next year will be different.

for '19 sport games from EA the middle ware tool is done. They'll plan to spend some more time getting the remaining features to work on Switch, then all of their games will be relatively simple ports. This allows for a low risk launch of support. The dev cost for enhancing the tool is spread across all of their common games for that year. With Switch selling well and FIFA18 selling within or exceeding expectations (my prediction), we'll see madden, tiger, fifa, ncaa, etc.

As for COD/AC, it really is no different. Activision (IW Engine) and Ubi (Anvil) both build or use middleware. Both of the engines these companies use for these games have been previously updated to support WiiU... which was not as simple as the architecture in Switch. Switch's mobile based architecture will allow compatability at a far lower cost than WiiU did and Switch's success will definitely have these companies spend the resources to support. We'll see the next installments of both of these franchises 

For example, Ubi's Steep game is built on the same engine as ACOrigins. This is the game Ubi is undoubtley using to reduce risk in updating its engine for Switch. Same as EA is doing/did with FIFA18.

EDIT: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=229591 Beyond Good & Evil 2 - Switch supported.

NintendoPie said:
pokoko said:

Then why did you proclaim Xenoblade Chronicles 2 "the best RPG of the year?"

What are your criteria?  Have you PLAYED Xenoblade Chronicles 2?  Have you played Persona 5?  Have you played Ni No Kuni 2?  Have you played NieR: Automata?

What, exactly, is your basis for saying that XC2 is better than those games? 

I'm both disappointed in you and this thread. Not only did you focus on a miniscule and useless point in Rol's post to argue about (as of this post), but you also don't seem to be acknowledging how stupid this thread is either, and you know it is.

OP, please realize your argument is pointless. Not only are you arguing to a community of Nintendo fans who'll claim all these third-party games "mean nothing to them" but you also don't understand how Nintendo goes about winning. Nintendo doesn't win off the help of third-parties like other companies. Not necessarily because they don't want to, but because they also can't. Nintendo "losing out" on all these Western third-party games (because it is mainly Western IPs) is par for the course. Yes, the Wii U failed and the Wii U also had horrendous Western third-party support, but not in the beginning. That alone goes to show that the Wii U was a garbage fire that could not be stopped, and third-party games can't make or break Nintendo either. Nintendo seals their fate. 

Please don't claim my post is off-topic, it's only an analysis of your assumption.

Edit: To answer your poll, Nintendo's biggest problem is their battle for parts with Apple in order to supply enough stock to meet demand, in the current "situation" of course.

He's a big boy.  If he wants to tell us that an upcoming game that he hasn't played is better than other games that he hasn't played then why do you have a problem with him explaining his reasoning?  He decided he wanted to participate in the List Warz on his own.  Even stranger about your logic is that this kind of thing is exactly what he likes to do with others.  Do you have a problem when he does it? 

As for the thread itself, what do you want me to say?  My official response would be, "okay."  It's a topic that has been picked to the bone.  As I've said many times before, Nintendo has every right to run their business as they like.

pokoko said:

He's a big boy.  If he wants to tell us that an upcoming game that he hasn't played is better than other games that he hasn't played then why do you have a problem with him explaining his reasoning?  He decided he wanted to participate in the List Warz on his own.  Even stranger about your logic is that this kind of thing is exactly what he likes to do with others.  Do you have a problem when he does it? 

As for the thread itself, what do you want me to say?  My official response would be, "okay."  It's a topic that has been picked to the bone.  As I've said many times before, Nintendo has every right to run their business as they like.

I never said I had a problem with him explaining his reasoning. He has no problem with it either, obviously. The take-away from this is that there are bigger things to argue, but instead you went for a small point out of all the games he listed. Which, honestly, somewhat ended up proving his point in the end considering you could only argue for the fact that XC2 is not guaranteed to be the best RPG this year, and yet the rest of the games he listed weren't touched upon by you or anyone else, which, by default, makes it look to be like he's right about the majority of his point.

What I'm saying is, you usually have more logical arguments and there was a better road to dissing his this time. And, to touch on how you think my logic is strange, I find it strange you would stoop to what you consider to be his level when you know it's only a ploy, right? However, your argument over Rol's reasoning that this whole thread is pointless isn't even that bad compared to how terribly analyzed this thread itself is. I guess a weak OP only makes sense to have less riveting arguments.

Honestly, it's a bit surprising to see people expect all these 3rd party games to come to the Switch..

Developers are cautious with how the Wii U went, and the Switch has only been out for 3 months :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]