By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - BOLD Prediction: Monster Hunter World will release on Switch within 2 years of its initial release

Yay or nay?

Yay 58 31.69%

Nay 69 37.70%

Capcom did 9/11 56 30.60%

Total:183
Dr.Vita said:

No, please I don't want this to happen. Keep this game away from any Nintendo console, Nintendo has damaged the Monster Hunter franchise enough over the years...

How has Nintendo damaged the franchise? All they've done is help publish the games in the West and market it. The series also has gotten much higher review scores on Nintendo platforms than Sony ones, but that was only because Capcom got better at making them and had very little to do with Nintendo or Sony themselves. 

MH4U has the highest metacritic for a Monster Hunter game at 86%, and Generations has an 85%. Comparitevly the series was reviewed in the high 60's/low 70's when it was on PSP/PS2 with the exception of Freedom Unite with its well deserved 81%. 

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
Darwinianevolution said:

What exactly has done Nintendo differently to damage the series?

The game was huge during the PSP days. People expected the series to become even better with a release on PS3, Xbox 360 or even PS Vita. But nope Nintendo stole the series from Playstation and started to release the next games of the Monster Hunter series on the weakest platform available where the Monster Hunter games never could get the much-needed improvement they truly deserved. And now with Monster Hunter World we finally could see the Monster Hunter game that we waited so long for.

But the sales were on handheld. Monster Hunter's sales on PS2, Wii and WiiU are way behind those of the 3DS and PSP. It's normal that they focused on handheld, considering MH is arguably the last cash cow franchise Capcom has. The only thing Nintendo can be accused of was keeping it away from the Vita.

Besides, I'm sure Capcom liked the 3DS more because they could recycle PSP-level graphics on the 3DS. Capcom is cheap like that :P

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Also, another prediction.
Monster Hunter 5 will release on Switch, and sell 3-5X better than Monster Hunter World on all platforms combined.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Also, another prediction.
Monster Hunter 5 will release on Switch, and sell 3-5X better than Monster Hunter World on all platforms combined.

Really.... and what sales are you expecting then?

Also MH: World is Monster Hunter 5, that's what it was called during development. But I guess that doesn't stop them naming a future game 5.

I am not so sure, but I think we will have annulment of Monster Hunter 5 for Switch some time in next 12 months.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
vivster said:

Those don't look like real chances to me. I would like to see how it does on a PS4 where a wide variety of demographics plays and especially people who like action RPGs. It probably won't sell a lot on PC but it will be very appreciated there too.

If Capcom does the marketing right it could be a first step. Of course it won't sell as much as previous entries but it's a start to make it more popular. The genre isn't the problem.

You think a wide demographic wasn't on the PS2? If anything it's not a wide demographic it needs its a specific one, it sold more on Wii a more casual focused platform than it did on PS2, PS3, X360 and PC both west and Japan, it's not a demographic that buys MH it's a sub-culture much like Pokemon that's why it consistently does much better on portables and why it has limited power in the west the are specifics this sub culture likes, they even marketed the Wii game Tri heavily in the west as well.

The genre is the problem many gamers in the west can't even grasp the notion of grinding to improve your skill and inventory and simply move on to more simple titles.

I guess that's why Dark Souls was such a failure.

I think the gaming press and recognition in the PS2 era wasn't even close to what it is today. Most western PS2 players weren't even aware of the game. The gigantic hype culture and overexposure in the media wasn't there. If it has good reviews in the mid 80s western media will hype it up, as will Sony and Microsoft.

It certainly has a far better shot now than it ever had releasing for 3 big communities at the same time.

edit: Just realized MH on PS2 was never released in the west, so what are you talking about?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Wyrdness said:

You think a wide demographic wasn't on the PS2? If anything it's not a wide demographic it needs its a specific one, it sold more on Wii a more casual focused platform than it did on PS2, PS3, X360 and PC both west and Japan, it's not a demographic that buys MH it's a sub-culture much like Pokemon that's why it consistently does much better on portables and why it has limited power in the west the are specifics this sub culture likes, they even marketed the Wii game Tri heavily in the west as well.

The genre is the problem many gamers in the west can't even grasp the notion of grinding to improve your skill and inventory and simply move on to more simple titles.

I think the gaming press and recognition in the PS2 era wasn't even close to what it is today. Most western PS2 players weren't even aware of the game. The gigantic hype culture and overexposure in the media wasn't there. If it has good reviews in the mid 80s western media will hype it up, as will Sony and Microsoft.

It certainly has a far better shot now than it ever had releasing for 3 big communities at the same time.

edit: Just realized MH on PS2 was never released in the west, so what are you talking about?

What are you on about the first game was released in the west I have it NA even got it a year before EU, here is even a PAL copy for sale, it was reknowned for its use of the analogue stick to initiate attacks instead of buttons.

The massive hype culture has been there since the early 2000s Playstation is the platform that made that mainstream and it took off with the launch of the PS2, some games no matter how hype up will not break the barrier because of the tastes of the audience and you see this with many games for example Platinum Games have a slew of games under this and they're far easier to get into.

Not sure the context of the Dark Souls comment tbh as that series in total has never matched MH's sales and in the west sells about similar amounts to MH's western performance but vastly lacks the same appeal in Japan, DS is easier to get into as well because it doesn't require as much grinding.

Wyrdness said:
vivster said:

What are you on about the first game was released in the west I have it NA even got it a year before EU, here is even a PAL copy for sale, it was reknowned for its use of the analogue stick to initiate attacks instead of buttons.

The massive hype culture has been there since the early 2000s Playstation is the platform that made that mainstream and it took off with the launch of the PS2, some games no matter how hype up will not break the barrier because of the tastes of the audience and you see this with many games for example Platinum Games have a slew of games under this and they're far easier to get into.

Not sure the context of the Dark Souls comment tbh as that series in total has never matched MH's sales and in the west sells about similar amounts to MH's western performance but vastly lacks the same appeal in Japan, DS is easier to get into as well because it doesn't require as much grinding.

Oh right, overlooked that. I was looking more at the later MH games. The very first MH that released in the west on a way lower install base than MHW and basically no hype behind it because it was the very first in the series.

That's definitely the one we should measure how the west likes the series. Fact is MHW is by far the biggest outing of the game to the west, period. This will ultimately show if there is interest or not. The previous releases don't even come close to this.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Not unlikely as soon as Switch user base becomes large enough, and even earlier if Ninty will better the online on the go for Switch with decent deals with mobile telcos for connection.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Still waiting for that Capcom game that requires a system with 4gb of ram...