By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forced PS4 Pro and Xbox One X parity between games shot down by Sony

KLAMarine said:
aLkaLiNE said:

This was never a rumor until Spencer got asked and answered in a way that insinuated there was forced parity. There's not, he's just being an asshole pandering to his toxic fanbase. Xb1s is the lowest common denominator, that's holding everything else back beyond any other single factor.

What are you referring to here?

In the interview where he said that the ps4 pro only competes with the xb1s, he was making a point about how all third party games would have no reason not to look better on xbx over the pro unless there were some dubious plot to force parity. And yet throughout this generation we've seen the rare occasion where an xb1 port ran better than ps4. It's really annoying that Phil puts the onus on Sony here so that in the future, when there are games that look identical between pro and xbx, the scapegoat will be Sony rather than on the lazy devs who choose not to invest the time or resources into these mid gen upgrades (which we've already seen on Pro)

Around the Network

Lol this is like the exact reverse of the parity clause bullshit that was flying around at the start of this gen when Destiny was the same res and frame rate on both PS4 and XB1

Good guy Sony strikes again!

aLkaLiNE said:
KLAMarine said:

In the interview where he said that the ps4 pro only competes with the xb1s, he was making a point about how all third party games would have no reason not to look better on xbx over the pro unless there were some dubious plot to force parity. And yet throughout this generation we've seen the rare occasion where an xb1 port ran better than ps4. It's really annoying that Phil puts the onus on Sony here so that in the future, when there are games that look identical between pro and xbx, the scapegoat will be Sony rather than on the lazy devs who choose not to invest the time or resources into these mid gen upgrades (which we've already seen on Pro)

Can you link me to the interview, please?

aLkaLiNE said:
KLAMarine said:

This is exactly why a mid gen console refresh doesnt do much for gaming. Aside from a smoother experience in the menu or a slight improvment in textures/framerate it really isnt worth a second purchase. The 1X is a beast aside from the CPU, since games will be playable on all Xbox 1 varients, they will be limited by the weakest for online play. If I were to get the PS4 pro it would only be because I wanted a second console and may as well get the newer hardware. I would not however spend $500 bucks on an overclocked console with some extra ram that will not see any significant games designed to fully utilize its hardware. Even with a pro purchase I would wait until the price drops.  

A new generation console is designed to allow developers to utilize a set hardware spec for parity accross all users of said hardware. When you start making different SKUs with different specs it gets very costly for developers to make games for the different versions.  Inevitably you will get a game designed for the weakest and ported to the stronger versions. 

Around the Network

The only thing holding X1X back is the X1(S). Every developer has to make sure games run on the "old" hardware. Which means optimizing for good ol' DDR3 RAM and that whole eDRAM bogus. Once finished, the game gets blown up to 1440p, 1800p or 2160p and that's that. There's no magic sauce or something, it really just comes down to that.

It's the same on PS4 and PS4 Pro, except here the baseline is considerably better. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised when PS4 Pro will continue to take that graphics crown. Anyway, at least comparisons from DF will get a whole lot more interesting in the future.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

JRPGfan said:
Stupid claim... how would sony force devs to not make better xbox one x versions anyways?

Money 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Hiku said:

The only thing holding games back is Xbox One S.

I would argue the original XB1 is the one holding it all back, since it is also included in their "play all our games on any of our XB1(insert variable here, or not) platforms"

KLAMarine said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Can you link me to the interview, please?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/e3-2017-phil-spencer-talks-xbox-one-x-potentially-/1100-6450916/

"I'm gonna struggle to not get myself in trouble on this one," he said. "I'll just say: I don't know anything about other development deals. You mentioned some things around clauses and stuff that I don't know anything about. But if anybody was to do a deal to hold back technical innovation on a video game anywhere else, that doesn't feel good for the industry to me."

Hiku said:
Neodegenerate said:

I would argue the original XB1 is the one holding it all back, since it is also included in their "play all our games on any of our XB1(insert variable here, or not) platforms"

Yeah. I just say XBOS because it phazed out the OG XBO.

Yea but until there arent any out there being used they still have to develop to that lowest common denominator there.