By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does GOW kill off Xbox One X (& PS4 Pro) chances?

StokedUp said:
JRPGfan said:

3DS is fine machine (240p?)

Seriously though.... theres a argument to be made for 4k gameing.

By next gen, Playstation 5 / Xbox Two, it ll be the normal resolution of games.

Majora's Mask (3ds) looks like a new game in 4k (emulation).

But when ps5 and Xbox4 release, there will be a newer higher quality resolution like 8k or something silly like that and once again people won't be happy they're not getting the best and the whole console upgrade/buy new tv thing happens again. People are constantly playing catch up with specs and resolutions, even when you get the newest console your behind in the lastest visual/performance thing. Hence why I just stuck with what I've got.

I really hope not.

Seriously.... I still think for the most part 1080p is fine.

I dont feel like Im missing out because I dont have a 4k tv, and I dont plan on getting one before I get a PS5.

Hell I feel like I just got my PS4 (I didnt get it early in the gen), and theres still tons of life left in it, and the games look amasing.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
StokedUp said:

But when ps5 and Xbox4 release, there will be a newer higher quality resolution like 8k or something silly like that

I really hope not.

I dont feel like Im missing out because I dont have a 4k tv, and I dont plan on getting one before I get a PS5.

Hell I feel like I just got my PS4 (I didnt get it early in the gen), and theres still tons of life left in it, and the games look amasing.

Same, they should have gone for 60fps before 4k... going after higher than 1080p-res has delayed the jump to 60fps being the standard yet again. Hopefully the PS5 should have a massively improved CPU, which will certainly help hit higher frame-rates, as that's the limiting factor, not the GPU on current consoles.

Hope you are joking

GOW indeed does look stunning and i think we really have reached a saturation with graphics now. I mean even XB1X probably could not run a game like GOW at native 4K(and depending on the sitting distance to your tv you might not even notice a big difference)so if that's all you get after 4 years adn  $499 i don't think many people will be impressed.

That said i would rather have developers aim for 60 fps instead.

Dulfite said:
I've always thought Microsoft building a before its time expensive 4k console was stupid. I mean, what % of people have 4k televisions, anyway?

I just read on one website that by 2016, 12.5% of homes will have one 4k tv. That isn't a ton. Not to mention, I'd imagine the majority of those that can afford that type of tv are older than the video game generation right now (probably in their 50s or higher). Gamers by in large aren't rich and can't afford these tvs. The xbox One should have come in 5-10 years. We don't need 4k now.

https://www.eteknix.com/xbox-scorpio-supersampling-will-enhance-graphics-on-1080p-tvs/

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
StokedUp said:

But when ps5 and Xbox4 release, there will be a newer higher quality resolution like 8k or something silly like that and once again people won't be happy they're not getting the best and the whole console upgrade/buy new tv thing happens again. People are constantly playing catch up with specs and resolutions, even when you get the newest console your behind in the lastest visual/performance thing. Hence why I just stuck with what I've got.

I really hope not.

A 4k tv is mainly worth the investment because of the HDR support that comes with it.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

davygee said:

We know that both the Xbox and Playstation conferences weren’t the best, but the biggest takeaway for me was that GOW in particular showcased a higher quality visual compared to anything Xbox had on show for the One X.  The biggest point is that the GOW trailer was apparently showing base PS4 footage.  Why would anyone pay $499 for the most powerful console when we are seeing games like GOW running on a PS4 at half the price.

In short, the quality of games being presented during the Xbox One X reveal were just not up to par with the 3 or 4 titles that Sony was showing.  The only standout for Xbox was Forza, other than that, graphically, there was nothing that gave me the impression that it is the most powerful console.

I believe that the PS4 Pro will suffer from the same issue here, but I suppose the lower price and potentially price drop later this year will maybe make the decision less of an issue.

It basically comes down to 4K not being that important at the moment.

At leats for the Pro, i guess the strategy is that if you're a gamer with a better budget, why not getting one? 150 bucks to get a better IQ on your 4K TV. XBX is a bigger jump, but's actually the same logic. It may not look significative for you, but for the guy with a 65' 4K set, a 900p probably has some IQ problems and the Pro improves it quite a bit. PS4 has quite a bit of 900p games. X1 is a even worse scenario, almost everything is 900p and a bunch is 720p. It may be great for someone with a 40' 1080p set, but getting a XBX may be a good idea for the guy with the above TV. It's not like 500 bucks is a lot for a guy that paid 2 thousand dollar on a TV and another grand on sound equipment.

While most of the market is quite price sensitive, there are a bunch of users for whom 250 bucks or 400 bucks doesn't matter because they buy 700 bucks phones and 1500 bucks laptops. Pro is representing 20% of PS4 sales, quite a good number.

Also, a bunch of high-end users will douple dip and upgrade their consoles, so they get to sell 2 consoles to a single person. I'm not upgrading myself, but if my PS4 broke I would 100% get a Pro because the price isn't that much higher.

It's just a resolution upgrade.... 1080p native is already incredible for games that look like what we see.... 4k is just nuts it's the same game with double the pixels.... so u need a system at elastic twice as powerful l for that...

mM
davygee said:
No doubt, the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X will enhance the graphics/resolution/frame rate....but the point I was trying to make, is that they were trying to sell us the Xbox One X based on how great the games looked....in short, they didn't look great compared to what Sony had on offer.

So the main point I was making is that if you are trying to get us all to buy into getting the One X, then showcase some games that prove the point that it's SO much better than what's out there. They didn't.

I think they did that with Anthem.  In my opinion it is the best looking game of the show.  Of course, still a moot point since we are talking about premium consoles aimed at the 13% or so of the population that actually have a tv capable of realizing the potential of these systems.  Those people just want to justify their purchases...

gergroy said:

I think they did that with Anthem.  In my opinion it is the best looking game of the show.  Of course, still a moot point since we are talking about premium consoles aimed at the 13% or so of the population that actually have a tv capable of realizing the potential of these systems.  Those people just want to justify their purchases...

Yet Anthem isn't Xbox One X exclusive....

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)