Forums - Gaming Discussion - Virtual reality vs Backwards compatibility

VR or BC

Virtual reality 59 40.97%

Backwards compatibility 69 47.92%

Both suck, more 4K HDR AAA exclusives 12 8.33%

I'm Switzerland 4 2.78%

Total:144

Can´t we have both?
I will buy like 5 or 6 of the games Sony announced. None of the stuff Xbox showed. So, I guess I liked Sony better this time.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Weirdly enough seems like PC alone offers all of the 3 choices and all superior to their console counterparts. So I'm gonna choose all of them since that is the best choice to have.

I have to agree.  It seems that Microsoft is determined not to have any games that can't be played on PC. While they are putting all their exclusives on PC they are releasing the XOX. Seems to be some internal tug of war going on.

SvennoJ said:
StarOcean said:
Wow one of the few times I agree fully with Kapi v.v XD

BC is at least useful. "VR" is dogshit right now. Yes, I've tried it, yes on multiple types like PS VR, Oculus, Vive, etc. They're all very far from being impressive. BC serves a purpose beyond a sales gimmick

Have you actually played a game in VR for more than a demo? I fail to see how RE7 and Dirt Rally are not impressive in VR. RE7 left tons of impressions on me :)

KLAMarine said:
BC. Cheap and means potentially better performance.

VR mandates minimum locked 60fps, the holy grail console gamers are always asking for!

Ofcourse it looks like I'll be spending most my time on both this holiday, Skyrim in VR, backwards and forwards. The last time I played that was on ps3 at 15-20fps having to restart the game every 10-15 minutes in the end. Playing that at 60fps will be a new experience already!

Played RE7 on it. Not impressed. It's not good. VR is just bad and expensive right now

BC. I collect anyway. VR gives me serious headaches and why I hate 3D and VR.

VR isn't the future. It's a faile dpast that keeps trying and failing since the 1980s.

Backwards compatibility, easily.

VR is one of the least interesting gaming fads of the past few decades as far as I'm concerned, I don't care for that in the slightest.

Around the Network

BC all day every day

VR is too expensive for me and I dont have enough interest on what it offers.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

While VR could be the future I don't feel like PSVR is and its very expensive. Its not something many PS4 owners are using either.

Meanwhile BC is popular and free. According MS, there are BC titles are among the most active games on X1.

Its a dumb comparison but people really like BC while less want to buy an expensive VR headset.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

StarOcean said:
SvennoJ said:

Have you actually played a game in VR for more than a demo? I fail to see how RE7 and Dirt Rally are not impressive in VR. RE7 left tons of impressions on me :)

VR mandates minimum locked 60fps, the holy grail console gamers are always asking for!

Ofcourse it looks like I'll be spending most my time on both this holiday, Skyrim in VR, backwards and forwards. The last time I played that was on ps3 at 15-20fps having to restart the game every 10-15 minutes in the end. Playing that at 60fps will be a new experience already!

Played RE7 on it. Not impressed. It's not good. VR is just bad and expensive right now

I'm curious as RE7 in VR was a revelation to me. I would never have bought RE7 without it and it was the first time in over a decade that a game encouraged me to play at the hardest settings and beat it, twice.

What was bad about it for you? The graphics downgrade, the lower resolution or did you have trouble with full motion?
Surveys claim over 90% of owners of VR devices are satisfied with their purchase, perhaps vgchartz is an outlier. I'm a bit amazed at the hate VR gets on this site. With 126 exhibitors with VR/AR content at E3, close to a dozen new headsets being made, VR is here to stay.

Ka-pi96 said:
Kerotan said:
BC is the past while VR is the future. I like to look forwards not backwards. VR all the way.

That's not entirely true. BC can be the future too. I mean, you'll want to be able to play your favourite current games on future systems too... won't you?

Yes but if it comes down to choosing between old experiences vs new experiences I choose new.