By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%

Playstation 1 638 51.29%

Total:1,244
curl-6 said:
Lawlight said:

Except the Prime Minister came out in support of SSM. The government funded media ABC and SBS lean heavily left. Does Murdoch even have any free-to-air channels?

And did you know that 51% of journos lean left vs 13% of them who lean right? https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/so-who-skews-news-bias-australian-media-revealed/1875830/

Councils are getting rid of Australia Day. Christmas carols are banned in Victoria. All outcomes of left-leaning people in power.

And you're talking about One Nation? They only have 4 seats in Senate vs 9 for the Greens + 1 in the house of representatives.

The university certainly lean left.

The Church does it have any power left? The % of Christians is decreasing every day and pastors are becoming increasingly liberal.

This is really a discussion for another thread, as we have drifted far from N64 vs PS1.

Ultimately, the numbers speak for themselves; if the left ran the country we wouldn't the right-leaning LNP in power, and if VGC was dominated by Nintendo fans, this poll wouldn't be neck and neck.

The right (actually closer to the centre than right) only run the country because people were tired of labour's ineptitude. People always flock to one or the other after a couple of cycles. But that doesn't mean that the actual people in power aren't left leaning.

But on topic, theoretically, the ration of PS1 owners vs N64 owners would be 4:1. So, right off the bat, the vote should have been a landslide. Now, of those who owned both, I think it is fair to say that on average, the PS1 would be picked as the one with the better library. For the vote to be so close there must be an disproportionately high number of Nintendo fans. I think the few unbiased ones/fans of both or multiple votes tipped the scale in the PS1's favour.

But someday someone will post a topic asking to list their favourite systems and we'll know a more accurate number.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
curl-6 said:

This is really a discussion for another thread, as we have drifted far from N64 vs PS1.

Ultimately, the numbers speak for themselves; if the left ran the country we wouldn't the right-leaning LNP in power, and if VGC was dominated by Nintendo fans, this poll wouldn't be neck and neck.

The right (actually closer to the centre than right) only run the country because people were tired of labour's ineptitude. People always flock to one or the other after a couple of cycles. But that doesn't mean that the actual people in power aren't left leaning.

But on topic, theoretically, the ration of PS1 owners vs N64 owners would be 4:1. So, right off the bat, the vote should have been a landslide. Now, of those who owned both, I think it is fair to say that on average, the PS1 would be picked as the one with the better library. For the vote to be so close there must be an disproportionately high number of Nintendo fans. I think the few unbiased ones/fans of both or multiple votes tipped the scale in the PS1's favour.

But someday someone will post a topic asking to list their favourite systems and we'll know a more accurate number.

When I was 16, Metallica was my favorite band of all time. When you ask me now which is my favorite band of all time, I'd reply differently. This may also apply for videogame consoles. And perhaps other people's tastes also change with the years. Shocker, right?

Lawlight said:
curl-6 said:

Your mistake there is correlating the general population with a website of gaming enthusiasts. VGC represents a hardcore niche, not the masses.
And again, you're still treating your own position as normal/neutral and failing to account for the fact that your own bias is skewing your perspective. A vote for PS1 is not any more objective or valid than a vote for N64, both are equally valid subjective opinions.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Chrizum said:
Lawlight said:

When I was 16, Metallica was my favorite band of all time. When you ask me now which is my favorite band of all time, I'd reply differently. This may also apply for videogame consoles. And perhaps other people's tastes also change with the years. Shocker, right?

This is not the same because you listened to metallica and whatever the new band is. The equivalent would be you had a PS1 back then and then got an N64 later (realistically in that same gen). Numbers show us that this is not the norm though.

curl-6 said:
Lawlight said:

Your mistake there is correlating the general population with a website of gaming enthusiasts. VGC represents a hardcore niche, not the masses.
And again, you're still treating your own position as normal/neutral and failing to account for the fact that your own bias is skewing your perspective. A vote for PS1 is not any more objective or valid than a vote for N64, both are equally valid subjective opinions.

I never said it wasn't valid - that's you putting words in my mouth. And neogaf is a gaming enthusiats forum - I don't think there's an equal number of Nintendo and Sony fans there. Why not ? Simply, sheer numbers of PS console owners.

Around the Network

Lawlight gets mad that Playstation didn't win more: The Thread

Lawlight said:
Chrizum said:

This is not the same because you listened to metallica and whatever the new band is. The equivalent would be you had a PS1 back then and then got an N64 later (realistically in that same gen). Numbers show us that this is not the norm though.

We're talking about our preferences of consoles from over 20 years ago, obviously people can feel different about these systems now than back then. If you'd ask me 20 years ago to choose between N64 and SNES I'd answer N64; now I prefer the SNES.

Lawlight said:

Except the Prime Minister came out in support of SSM.

You can be conservative and support same-sex marriage, many far-right supporters actually do.

Lawlight said:

The government funded media ABC and SBS lean heavily left. Does Murdoch even have any free-to-air channels?

What about Channel 7, 9 and 10? Foxtel? Fetch? Newspapers? Radio? Billboards? Mail?
The ABC has been accused of being left biased a ton of times before... It really does not hold up to any genuine scrutiny.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/datablog/2014/feb/06/australian-broadcasting-corporation-australia

Usually it's the far right just having a bitch fit that their views aren't being forced upon everyone as if it's the only view worth expressing.

With that though...
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being left wing. - And there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being right wing.
The majority of people are actually in the center.

The left and right are two sides of the coin, both have different perspectives with most issues... And that is a good thing, it allows for the majority in the center to view and see who has the best ideas and go with them, for the betterment of the entire populace.

The left isn't always going to win a debate. And the Right isn't always going to win a debate.
Both can be as equally as stupid and extreme as each other. (Antifa vs Neo-Nazi's/Fascists.)

Lawlight said:

And did you know that 51% of journos lean left vs 13% of them who lean right? sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/so-who-skews-news-bias-australian-media-revealed/1875830/

If you could refrain from posting mobile links... (Who the hell views this forum on a mobile device anyway? We are not savages.) that would be great.
With that, the statistics represented are not all that unsurprising.

However... I think the part you need to keep in mind is that they are basing those statistics on the journo's voting history.
And is not a guarenteed representation of how journalists will report their news, they can and will deviate from each other.

Lawlight said:

Councils are getting rid of Australia Day.

Citation needed.

Lawlight said:

Christmas carols are banned in Victoria.

Citation needed.

Lawlight said:

All outcomes of left-leaning people in power.

Except... It's a conservative party that is in power currently.

Lawlight said:

And you're talking about One Nation? They only have 4 seats in Senate vs 9 for the Greens + 1 in the house of representatives.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Malcolm Roberts.
Apparantly empirical evidence is biting him on the ass.

Lawlight said:

The university certainly lean left.

Yes. I can see how a place of higher learning that generally requires critical thinking, evidence, models, papers, reporting etc' is left leaning... With that. Evidence please.

Lawlight said:

The Church does it have any power left? The % of Christians is decreasing every day and pastors are becoming increasingly liberal.

Of course it does.
Where do you think the Liberal power base resides?

The same-sex marriage postal survey is a process that is to help resolve the internal conflict within the liberal party.
That conflict will still persist even if the public votes "yes". - But will be sorted if the public votes "no" where the Liberal part will abandon all support for it.

And how did we get to this? The Australian Christian Lobby threatened the government that they would campaign against them if they abandoned the Plebiscite/Postal Survey and opted for a free vote in parliament which is supposed to be the path that is taken thanks to our representative democractic processes.

Roughly 20% of all Australians are also Christian. That's a sizable chunk of the population that cannot be ignored...
South Australia also has some regions with a high concentration of religious populations... And parts of Queensland can rival the Bible belt of the USA.
In short. I would not underestimate the religious sects of Australia.

With that... vgchartz is neither left or right-wing biased. It's in the center. (The forum anyway, I don't pay attention to the articles.)

curl-6 said:

I thought vgchartz was dominated by Playstation fans? The Nintendo 64 is certainly the console that seems to be emulated the most verses the PS1 on PC, yet is trending well in this poll.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Lawlight gets mad that Playstation didn't win more: The Thread

*yawn*

^

It's time y'all dropped that political shit before I moderate the lot of you.